What can we expect from Carnival

richrhon1

Our first cruise ever was on the Carnival Valor in 2005. From that point we were hooked. Have since been on 9 other cruises but not with Carnival. They've been with RCCL, Princess, HA and Costa. Have loved them all but we decided to do the Carnival Freedom in October as the rate was so good and we needed a getaway. What can we expect from Carnival after 12 years of not sailing them? Food? Entertainment? Etc? Thanks

Our first cruise ever was on the Carnival Valor in 2005. From that point we were hooked. Have since been on 9 other cruises but not with Carnival. They've been with RCCL, Princess, HA and Costa. Have loved them all but we decided to do the Carnival Freedom in October as the rate was so good and we needed a getaway. What can we expect from Carnival after 12 years of not sailing them? Food? Entertainment? Etc? Thanks

Food is subjective. What one person considers "not great" another may say "just fine". As for entertainment, it depends on the venue. The Playlist Productions in the main theater are about equal to something you would see at your local high school. If you're really desperate, it's a good way to kill 45 minutes. We've found that the "house band" that plays in one of the lounges (check your Fun Times for time and location) is much better. As for music in the Atrium, it's usually okay. It just depends on the talent that's been hired. Overall, Carnival still offers a good product for the money. You'll enjoy the cruise more if you keep your expectations at a moderate level. Go with the attitude that you're going to have a fun vacation, and you will.

My guess is you will have a great cruise. There are some things that many consider cutbacks (you can read the hot debates on here about menu changes, dress code changes, to tablecloth or not, etc) but they have also added some great food venues, the Alchemy bar, comedy club and changed some shows. If anything, because of these additions, I think the food on Carnival is just as good or better (at least on the Lido as Blue Iguana and Guys are awesome)

Keep in mind that Carnival is the FUN ship. You likely will see people in jeans or even shorts in the MDR on elegant evenings, and we have seen plenty of dirty baseball caps and tank tops there on cruise casual evenings. I asked a question on the Princess board how to articulate the difference to people between Carnival and Princess - so if you search my posts, you will find it and see their commentary. To me, Princess has a more elegant and classic cruise vibe and I have not run into the crowd which has purchased the all you can drink package and intends to drink all 15 alcoholic beverages everyday because they bought them, regardless of whether or not they should.

But we have fun on Carnival and spend a good deal of time on our balcony so often avoid the over the top partying. That factor will also likely be reduced on a 7 day cruise in October....

If you go in with a positive attitude, you'll be just fine. Remember that you are on the ocean, someone is cooking and cleaning for you, feeding you and providing entertainment. The rest will take care of itself!

Thanks for the responses. We always go in with a "WOOHOO, WE ARE ON VACATION" attitude. So many people start complaining the minute they step in the terminal to check in. Looking forward to having a few Guys burgers, some Tacos from the Cantina and most definitely trying out the Alchemy bar.

Hard to wait for the next 80+ days.

If you go in with attitude that everything needs to be perfect chances are you'll be disappointed. If you go in with attitude of enjoying your trip chances are you will. 18 cruises on Carnival and enjoyed all but one of them. Have another booked next year and probably will book another for later next year.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. We always go in with a "WOOHOO, WE ARE ON VACATION" attitude. So many people start complaining the minute they step in the terminal to check in. Looking forward to having a few Guys burgers, some Tacos from the Cantina and most definitely trying out the Alchemy bar.

Hard to wait for the next 80+ days.

By the sounds of it you will have a great time . We have been cruising for over 30 years with most of our cruises on Carnival in the recent years . It is still a nice value but certainly what is was 10 years ago. We recently cruised on the NCL Escape and thought it was Super but that was a small sample.

We will back on the Carnival Conquest in November and are sure we will enjoy You do the same..

As far as entertainment, Carnival is great. Always something going on. They have well earned the title of the "Fun Ships". Shows are great, CD's are usually top notch and various musicians are good. If anyone is "bored" on a Carnival ship, it isn't the ship that's boring ;p

Ah yes, the food....I think the key word is "expectation"....If you expect the food to be fine dining 5 star, then its on the passenger for "expecting" something that a cruise ship is not. The best thing I can compare Carnivals food to (as well as most mass marketing cruise lines) is banquet hall food that you get at a wedding. Its "good" food. Is it great, no. It should not be compared to a fine dining restaurant. These chefs are cooking for 4000-5000 people. The Steakhouses are on par with a Longhorns or Outback, not a Ruth Chris or a fine steakhouse. Have a great cruise!!!!

As far as entertainment, Carnival is great. Always something going on. They have well earned the title of the "Fun Ships". Shows are great, CD's are usually top notch and various musicians are good. If anyone is "bored" on a Carnival ship, it isn't the ship that's boring ;p

Ah yes, the food....I think the key word is "expectation"....If you expect the food to be fine dining 5 star, then its on the passenger for "expecting" something that a cruise ship is not. The best thing I can compare Carnivals food to (as well as most mass marketing cruise lines) is banquet hall food that you get at a wedding. Its "good" food. Is it great, no. It should not be compared to a fine dining restaurant. These chefs are cooking for 4000-5000 people. The Steakhouses are on par with a Longhorns or Outback, not a Ruth Chris or a fine steakhouse. Have a great cruise!!!!

I disagree on the steakhouse point. We have had comparable experiences to Ruth Chris and fantastic steaks each time.

I disagree on the steakhouse point. We have had comparable experiences to Ruth Chris and fantastic steaks each time.

I'll second that. Definitely a notch or three above Outback. More on the high end steakhouse scale.

I also agree the steakhouse is far better than Outback...

I would put it on par with most of our top end steakhouses.

My only issue with it, is that they throw way to much food at you... And when I pay extra I feel like I should eat it all... who really needs a 18oz cowboy cut of steak... I mean it is good but seriously that is ALOT of meat..

The cut backs you might notice will come in terms of service. The service is still good, but they have cut people, in every position. So your stateroom Steward will be servicing at least double the cabins they had when you sailed last. The dinning staff will have 2-3 times the seats they have to manage. This really removes some of the personal interaction you used to be able to get with the staff, but so far have not stopped me from cruising.

You'll have a variety of evening entertainment choices - they have the main shows, comedy club (which has been 2 - 4 shows each evening), dive in movies, and live music around the ship. It's not like other lines where it's dinner and then the show (or if you're not into the shows, not much else is happening).

What I like about Carnival is that there's a variety of entertainment choices.

Carnival also has a lot of daytime activities that aren't just sales in disguise.

I'll second that. Definitely a notch or three above Outback. More on the high end steakhouse scale.

I will third this lol. My last Carnival steakhouse experience on Magic definitely was as good or even better than my last Ruths Chris experience and for about 1/3rd the price. Service was excellent and the subdued atmosphere definitely rivaled that of a higher end steakhouse vs. that of a chain steakhouse. The steak itself however was good but not Prime in my opinion which is what you would get at a high end steak house like Ruths Chris. It was about the same quality as a Texas Roadhouse steak to me or other decent chain steakhouse. A good Choice cut of meat and Im totally ok with that. its what I eat at home when I grill steaks

At one time, when the steakhouses were called "supper clubs" they served Prime cuts. I do not think that is the case anymore.

Edited by ryano

I made a reservation at the steak house. First time we are on a cruise without any kids. All out of the house so we can splurge a little on extras where we would not have brought them previously.

Looking forward to a great time even with some of the changes. Can't wait!