Taxi from rome airport into rome???

skf

Hi, all...

There are three of us flying into Rome October 6. From the Rome airport's web page they put the taxi fare at 40€ into the city; but I could not tell if that was for the whole taxi or per each passenger.

For the trip out to the ship what would it run?

We are not sure if Princess will be able to shuttle us, so I am checking around.

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Steve

I think the fixed rate into the central Rome area is 48 euros for the taxi. Very few places in the world charge per person.

A quick search around the board would find the Rome to Civi rate- I think it is 110 euros, for the taxi.

You might want to check with your hotel to see if they would offer a driver. Ours did, and quoted 55 euros. They would be waiting for us with our name on a sign.

Do taxis charge extra for luggage?

(We are probably going to take the Leonardo Express train into Termini, which is close to our hotel.)

Do taxis charge extra for luggage?

(We are probably going to take the Leonardo Express train into Termini, which is close to our hotel.)

The fixed fare of 48 euro includes any extra charges -- taxi should not charge you any extra for luggage, tolls, etc. But this is only for transfers from FCO to hotels inside the old city (Aurelian) walls. If your hotel is outside the walls, the fixed fare doesn't apply.

Most hotels visitors choose are inside the walls, just fyi. Here is a page that shows a map of the walls and further explains the taxi fares:

http://www.rome-travel.org/rome-taxi-fares-ciampino-and-fiumicino-airport-taxi-fares/

Check to see if your cruise offers pre cruise hotels. We did this on HAL, the room included transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to port. Hal had a rep waiting for us in the airport and away we went. The hotel was pretty great .,it had the best breakfast buffet ( included ) I've ever had. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, plus the rep was onsite for any q and a's.

When you factored in the cost of the room plus car hire we saved money.

I would also recommend Walks of Italy for a Vatican tour. Best tour I've ever taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check to see if your cruise offers pre cruise hotels. We did this on HAL, the room included transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to port. Hal had a rep waiting for us in the airport and away we went. The hotel was pretty great .,it had the best breakfast buffet ( included ) I've ever had. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, plus the rep was onsite for any q and a's.

When you factored in the cost of the room plus car hire we saved money.

I would also recommend Walks of Italy for a Vatican tour. Best tour I've ever taken.

You may have gotten a good deal, but most of the time those hotel packages offered by cruise lines are extremely overpriced -- about twice as much for the room as you'd pay on your own. Plus the locations are not necessarily where I'd choose to be (in the center of things).

You may have gotten a good deal, but most of the time those hotel packages offered by cruise lines are extremely overpriced -- about twice as much for the room as you'd pay on your own. Plus the locations are not necessarily where I'd choose to be (in the center of things).

I agree. Curious which hotel it was. I looked at the HAL site and only found 3 hotels they offer - the nasty Sheraton outside of town, the Visconti Palace on the other side of the Tiber, and the Parco dei Principi up by Borghese Park. With bulk group purchasing, I would hope they paid no more then $250/night for the Parco or Visconti and no more than $100 for the Sheraton (yes, it is THAT nasty). I won't even stay at the Sheraton for my $69 employee rate!!! If they paid more, I hope the onsite rep was worth the extra money... I would use the hotel concierge and save the difference ;)

Check to see if your cruise offers pre cruise hotels.

We are #5 on the waiting list. We couldn't wait any longer, so we went thru Hilton; they tell us the Hilton Garden Inn Claridge (we stayed there in 2013) has only three rooms left for our dates, so we grabbed one.

We have until now always had good service with Princess but they dropped the ball on this one. they could at least have contacted us to say "Better start looking on your own."

We stayed at Visconti Palace May 2013. The price for a three bedded room was $189.00 ( US not Euro ) we had a large corner room.

I actually loved the location. We walked to the Vatican, then Spanish steps, to Trevi fountain, then to Piazza Navona where we had an overpriced dinner .

Well not so overpriced., the maitre d gave us lots of free wine as we were "fun". He made sure we took a taxi back. Fun day and night. I still buy the local wine ( Frascati ) when I find it., I don't feel hungover on it.

We stayed at Visconti Palace May 2013. The price for a three bedded room was $189.00 ( US not Euro ) we had a large corner room.

I actually loved the location. We walked to the Vatican, then Spanish steps, to Trevi fountain, then to Piazza Navona where we had an overpriced dinner .

Well not so overpriced., the maitre d gave us lots of free wine as we were "fun". He made sure we took a taxi back. Fun day and night. I still buy the local wine ( Frascati ) when I find it., I don't feel hungover on it.

I'm curious whether it was $189 total or $189 per person. Most of the pricing I have looked at for pre- and post- cruise hotels is per person not total. And ends up being a not-great deal. If that's not the case for you then you got lucky. ;)

Agree very much to get your hotel to arrange pick-up. For the few extra euro split by 3 you won't have to stress, worry, just relax. The driver will know exactly where to take you, no worries with trying to explain as a taxi drivers will not likely know English.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Get a taxi from airport to Rome. It is a flat rate of 48 Euros and is very easy. We walked straight of the terminal into a taxi this week - in high season. Print out a google map to show the driver if you like.

A RomeCabs transfer is a few extra euros - you cd do that but the taxi is easy.

We booked RomeCabs only for our transfers from Rome to Civitevecchia and back to the airport after the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree very much to get your hotel to arrange pick-up. For the few extra euro split by 3 you won't have to stress, worry, just relax. The driver will know exactly where to take you, no worries with trying to explain as a taxi drivers will not likely know English.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Print out the name and address of your hotel and hand it to the taxi driver. Easy.

I used taxis in Rome many times before I learned to speak any Italian -- never had a problem.

Private transfer services (we have used Romecabs) are fine. But using a regular taxi is also very easy (just like at most airports of the world) and the fixed fare of 48€ is reasonable. Romecabs charges 50€ and the advantage is your driver will be waiting outside the customs area with your name on a sign, and their drivers are always friendly.

Hank

Cowspanker...

We booked RomeCabs only for our transfers from Rome to Civitevecchia and back to the airport after the cruise.

May we ask what that costs?

Thanx, Steve

• 11 months later...
Will the taxi hold 4 people and 3 large suitcases? Are taxis sedans or minivans?

As you can see from the photo, there are a variety of sizes. But smaller sedans are definitely in the majority, and they will not hold 4 people + 3 large suitcases.

http://www.ilmessaggero.it/ArchivioNews/20090910_taxi.jpg

If you are arriving during the time frame when most international flights arrive (e.g., 7am to about 1pm), it's more likely that there will be a good many taxis waiting.

If you don't want to take your chances, best to arrange a private car service.

As you can see from the photo, there are a variety of sizes. But smaller sedans are definitely in the majority, and they will not hold 4 people + 3 large suitcases.

http://www.ilmessaggero.it/ArchivioNews/20090910_taxi.jpg

If you are arriving during the time frame when most international flights arrive (e.g., 7am to about 1pm), it's more likely that there will be a good many taxis waiting.

If you don't want to take your chances, best to arrange a private car service.

We arrive at 2pm (from Athens). I thought about hiring a private driver. However, I like the flexibilty of using the taxi - get one when we are done. This way I do not feel rushed.