Princess vs. NCL

brownie9

Tried Carnival, HAL,RCL and Princess. Settled with Princess years ago. We are pretty seasoned cruisers and love Princess. We have found a great trip we would love to take with NCL. Can anyone tell me what I will find different on NCL over Princess.Its a Transatlantic so we plan on spending a few day on board. Will we be happy?

Brownie9

Diane

Tried Carnival, HAL,RCL and Princess. Settled with Princess years ago. We are pretty seasoned cruisers and love Princess. We have found a great trip we would love to take with NCL. Can anyone tell me what I will find different on NCL over Princess.Its a Transatlantic so we plan on spending a few day on board. Will we be happy?

Brownie9

Diane

We have never cruised on Princess, but have done 9 cruises on Celebrity. Celebrity is often compared as similar in quality to Princess.

We have done 6 cruises on NCL.

NCL doesn't have fixed dinner times for seating, it is all open seating. On rare occasions depending on what time you choose to dine, there can be a delay in getting a table. If you are willing to dine at a large table with others, the delay will be short.

NCL has a great variety of lower priced specialty restaurants that are excellent. Their MDR food is not generally as good as Celebrity, however our last cruise on the NCL Sun the MDR food was close to par with Celebrity.

NCL's drink packages require you to pay an 18 percent gratuity, which few other lines charge. Also, the wine selection is poor on the drink packages. For that reason, we never select the NCL drink packages.

The entertainment on NCL is generally a bit better than on Celebrity.

NCL's excursions tend to be expensive, but we usually organize private tours.

NCL's prices are usually very competitive and frequently the lowest price compared to other lines.

I suggest that prior to booking on a specific ship, that you read some member reviews here on cc for your cruise.

I have been on 12 Princess and 8 NCL (+1 more this Summer), the main reason we switched to NCL was because they are more geared to families with younger children (which we had, now 13 and 16).

Here are my personal observations:

Princess

1. Better overall service

2. Quieter

3. Geared to an older crowd

4. From the recent menus I've seen, the food choices are much more diverse

NCL

1. Freestyle Dining (eat anytime and anywhere)

2. No Formal/Semi-Formal nights (may be seen as a positive or negative)

3. With the UBP (open bar), you have more rowdy people

4. Livelier atmosphere

The main reasons we have stayed with NCL so far is that Princess leaves the Caribbean during the Summer and NCL sails from The Manhattan Cruise Terminal (10-15 minute cab ride from home).

If you are worried that you might not like NCL, I would caution against taking a TA as your first cruise with them. As you mentioned, it's a lot of sea days, so if you don't like the life on board, food activities entertainment etc., that's all you'll have for 7-10 days straight. That's a long time to be unhappy and missing Princess. If you are the kind of person who can laugh it off and make the best of most any situation, no problem. But something tells me that a person like that wouldn't probably start a thread like this…

ryukin88 has stated pretty much what I would say. Without a drinks package NCL is much more expensive for booze (as is their package if you buy it). It is also more restrictive than Princess (no coffee, bottled water, OJ and choice of drinks within the price limit).

Without knowing your preferences and circumstances you have posed a very difficult question for us to answer usefully.

I have an old review link in my sig. block called Princess v NCL - but so much has changed on NCL that it is probably rather misleading now.

Personally, I prefer Princess now but itinerary and value for money are the main drivers for us - cruise line is secondary.

I have been on 12 Princess and 8 NCL (+1 more this Summer), the main reason we switched to NCL was because they are more geared to families with younger children (which we had, now 13 and 16).

Here are my personal observations:

Princess

1. Better overall service

2. Quieter

3. Geared to an older crowd

On a transAtlantic you will encouter this on NCL as well. Very few children on board and the average age will be usually over 50.

4. From the recent menus I've seen, the food choices are much more diverse

NCL

1. Freestyle Dining (eat anytime and anywhere)

2. No Formal/Semi-Formal nights (may be seen as a positive or negative)

3. With the UBP (open bar), you have more rowdy people

4. Livelier atmosphere

If you don't mind sea days, are outgoing and willing to mingle with other passengers you'll be fine. Join the roll call as these tend to be larger and more lively with other activites than just a meet and greet.

I could have written your post but on the Princess boards. Stepping out of your comfort zone can be a little scary. Our very first cruise was on the Grand Princess, then a Costa and then 17 NCL cruises in a row followed by an RCL and two more NCL. We are booked on Regal Princess transatlantic this September (14 day Copenhagen to New York) because we think it is a great itinerary with far more port stops than NCL offers on their transatlantics. It will be our first trip to Europe and is a celebration of our 50th anniversary ..... seems strange not to be doing it on NCL.

We love NCL freestyle dining with all the choices (although it's not quite so freestyle with the dining package promo making it more necessary to make specialty dining reservations) but chose early fixed dining table for 6 (3 couples) on Princess. We don't like to eat late so it seemed safest to have a guaranteed dining spot and then play it by ear depending on the menu. We love the entertainment on NCL but as long as there is a bar with live entertainer (guitar/piano player/singer) we're happy.

We're also booked on RCL for back to back New Zealand/Australia cruises next March. We're working on our bucket lists and are choosing our cruises by itinerary and price rather than by cruise line. We obviously love NCL and the Platinum Plus perks are nice but itinerary needs to come first.

Edited by kjquilts

Thanks for all the positive input and some not so positive. We are changing for the ports only and were somewhat afraid of the crusieline change. We have gotten very comfortable on Princess but what is life without adventure..

Thanks again

Diane

My husband and I (41 & 39) have 7 Princess cruises under our belts with 2 more coming up before the end of this year, and we just got off our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway on Sunday. Now, we did bid on an upgrade to the Haven and it was accepted, so our experience was a little skewed by being spoiled so much, but the non-Haven aspects of our cruise were lovely and I would absolutely sail with them again. The entertainment was outstanding. Our ship had a Cirque de Soleil dinner show that was one of the best shows we've seen at sea. Burn the Floor, a dance show, wasn't our cup of tea (it was still good, just not our style) but we loved the Second City comedy troupe and Rock of Ages was fantastic. I particularly loved all the different dining venues. Coming from Princess where they usually only have 2 specialty restaurants, it was awesome to have so many choices. Since we were in the Haven we took the majority of our meals there, so I can't comment on the quality of the MDR food, but the steakhouse and French restaurants that we tried were excellent. There was lots to do on board every day, from shows and demonstrations in the Atrium to the usual poolside games/contests, to rock climbing, rope courses, bowling/video games in O'Sheehan's pub, trivia, etc - we were never bored and if we had been, it would've been our own fault.

Tried Carnival, HAL,RCL and Princess. Settled with Princess years ago. We are pretty seasoned cruisers and love Princess. We have found a great trip we would love to take with NCL. Can anyone tell me what I will find different on NCL over Princess.Its a Transatlantic so we plan on spending a few day on board. Will we be happy? Diane

Which ship? The megaships are very different than the smaller ones, especially for the activities they provide.

My husband and I (41 & 39) have 7 Princess cruises under our belts with 2 more coming up before the end of this year, and we just got off our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway on Sunday. Now, we did bid on an upgrade to the Haven and it was accepted, so our experience was a little skewed by being spoiled so much, but the non-Haven aspects of our cruise were lovely and I would absolutely sail with them again. The entertainment was outstanding. Our ship had a Cirque de Soleil dinner show that was one of the best shows we've seen at sea. Burn the Floor, a dance show, wasn't our cup of tea (it was still good, just not our style) but we loved the Second City comedy troupe and Rock of Ages was fantastic. I particularly loved all the different dining venues. Coming from Princess where they usually only have 2 specialty restaurants, it was awesome to have so many choices. Since we were in the Haven we took the majority of our meals there, so I can't comment on the quality of the MDR food, but the steakhouse and French restaurants that we tried were excellent. There was lots to do on board every day, from shows and demonstrations in the Atrium to the usual poolside games/contests, to rock climbing, rope courses, bowling/video games in O'Sheehan's pub, trivia, etc - we were never bored and if we had been, it would've been our own fault.

Wonderful to hear. Our ship is the Breakaway. Question: Did you make reservations for the shows or were you able to just walk in like Princess? I assume the dinner show was extra with reservations, would I be safe to reserve when I board or should it be done pre-board. Don't think we will upgrade to the Haven although I read about it and it looks wonderful.

Diane

Brownie9

Diane

this is just a personal feeling and many would disagree; cabinwise: they are similar: foodwise: due to the choices I give NCL the top grade here, though last time we cruised Princess they had a better selection of seafood. Entertainmentwise: NCL for sure: passengerwise, we find the NCL cruisers a little more friendly and down to earth, but they are also more inclined to gripe about things: servicewise: it is a toss up. 3 Princess cruises never remember the service as being bad or good except in the dining room it isn't so good, but that can be said about NCL as well..If you choose NCL just remember it isn't a formal as Princess, that is probably the biggest difference.

Diane, BTW the Breakaway isn't a med to large ship, it i a mega ship. Oh and as mentioned before, if you enjoy drinking alcohol be sure and get the UBP. It is the only way to go, yes, liquor on NCL is a little higher than Princess and even a few drinks a day can add up after awhile.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Wonderful to hear. Our ship is the Breakaway. Question: Did you make reservations for the shows or were you able to just walk in like Princess? I assume the dinner show was extra with reservations, would I be safe to reserve when I board or should it be done pre-board. Don't think we will upgrade to the Haven although I read about it and it looks wonderful.

Diane

We had initially booked a mini suite and so we did make reservations for Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor before we left. Both shows were very full so if those are what you're interested in, I would definitely book ahead of time if you can.

Breakaway seems to be a medium to large new ship.
It's bigger than the Majestic/Royal/Regal Princess, so whatever you would call that size of ship. If "megaship" for you means 7000+ passengers, then neither NCL nor Princess has megaships yet.

I think NMLady's point was that NCL's fleet is divided into two kinds of ships, the ones with around 2000 passengers, and the ones with around 4000 passengers, and there are significant differences in the onboard experience between the two. Significant enough that lots of people who love NCL only actually love sailing on one part of the fleet and the don't like the other ships. (It's probably the same on Princess, with the three sizes of ship.)

It's bigger than the Majestic/Royal/Regal Princess, so whatever you would call that size of ship. If "megaship" for you means 7000+ passengers, then neither NCL nor Princess has megaships yet.

I think NMLady's point was that NCL's fleet is divided into two kinds of ships, the ones with around 2000 passengers, and the ones with around 4000 passengers, and there are significant differences in the onboard experience between the two. Significant enough that lots of people who love NCL only actually love sailing on one part of the fleet and the don't like the other ships. (It's probably the same on Princess, with the three sizes of ship.)

I've been on all three size ships with Princess, same experience but just different a amount of walking. When I think of "mega" I think of the ships that RCCL has 6 to 7000 passengers. If I'm not mistaken Breakaway is around 4000. Anyway she looks to be a beautiful ship...

Diane

. ...

I think NMLady's point was that NCL's fleet is divided into two kinds of ships, the ones with around 2000 passengers, and the ones with around 4000 passengers, and there are significant differences in the onboard experience between the two. ...

That was exactly my point. Thank you for summing it up so well.

We recently took 2 cruises with Princess to visit Australia and New Zealand. The only reason we did not cruise NCL is because NCL did not offer the circumnavigation cruise of Australia nor the itinerary we wanted for New Zealand. The main thing we noticed was the lack of dining options on Princess when compared to NCL. We were also forced into set dining times and tables which we did not enjoy.:( There was no anytime dining in the dining rooms. The dining time was either too early -- 5:45 or too late -- 7:45. We are not fans of the buffet but that was our only option some days as off ship activities kept us out too late for our chosen early dining time. The entertainment also was better on our NCL cruises. We usually try to stick to cruise ships of around 2000 passengers and the 2 Princess cruise ships were this size. Princess balcony cabins were smaller than Norwegian but there was adequate storage space. Bathroom was a bit too compact for our liking but we made it work. We are unlikely to cruise with Princess again. NCL suits us much better.:cool:

Anytime Dining℠ - Princess Cruises

Anytime Dining℠ • Anytime Dining℠ Fresh and Flexible, Dine Any Time Just like a restaurant at home, Anytime Dining enables guests the freedom to dine when and with whom they wish, at any time between 5:30 PM and 10 PM. Reservations are available through an onboard dining hotline, but not required, and diners may choose

Try the Regal or Royal as they are new ships and very good. We cruise NCL (Gold), MSC (Black), Princess (Elite), Celebrity (Elite+), RCI (Diamond+) and HAL (Copper.) They all have something to offer, Only you can say whether you will like it or not. People post their experience and their judgment of food, entertainment, etc. One cruise on any ship/line doesn't give the whole story. JMHO!

Anytime Dining℠ - Princess Cruises

Anytime Dining℠ • Anytime Dining℠ Fresh and Flexible, Dine Any Time Just like a restaurant at home, Anytime Dining enables guests the freedom to dine when and with whom they wish, at any time between 5:30 PM and 10 PM. Reservations are available through an onboard dining hotline, but not required, and diners may choose

Try the Regal or Royal as they are new ships and very good. We cruise NCL (Gold), MSC (Black), Princess (Elite), Celebrity (Elite+), RCI (Diamond+) and HAL (Copper.) They all have something to offer, Only you can say whether you will like it or not. People post their experience and their judgment of food, entertainment, etc. One cruise on any ship/line doesn't give the whole story. JMHO!

Anytime Dining was not offered on Dawn Princess or Sun Princess for our cruises. We know many people who love Princess. Based on our 2 cruises, we choose not to sail with them again as NCL is a better fit for us.

I have experienced anytime dining on several ships, and I really don't think it compares to freestyle. NCL ships are devoted to the concept, whereas anytime dining on other lines feels more like an afterthought, imo. You're kind of tossed in there, "competing" (for lack of a better word) for the attention of waiters who have already got to know their week's regulars. Relationships are established and sometimes there's a lot of friendly chit chatting with the waiters and their passengers, which is fine, except for all that friendly chit chat takes time and it means my anytime dining meal usually arrives lukewarm. That's been my experience with it anyway

Food is better on Princess. On a TA the passengers will be older no matter what line. NCL cabins are smaller especially on the newer ships. NCL is famous for nickeling and diming the passengers. Drinks are more expensive, packages are more expensive.

Princess is known as a mid level line and NCL is known as a low level cruise line.

I agree with a previous poster a TA is not a good cruise to test a first time cruise on a new line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anytime Dining was not offered on Dawn Princess or Sun Princess for our cruises. We know many people who love Princess. Based on our 2 cruises, we choose not to sail with them again as NCL is a better fit for us.

When did you cruise Dawn and Sun? Yes, Dawn (Feb 06) and Sun (Dec 95) are very old ships. We have been on 52 Princess cruises (since 1987) and normally within the top 10 cruisers on each Princess cruise. We just got off of the Regal (built May 14) and cruised on the Royal (built Jun 13) and both those ships are really great. I am not questioning whether NCL is a better fit for you, but we have done the NCL Escape (Feb and Nov 16) and the Getaway (Sept 16) and the Regal (Mar 16 and Mar 17.) Each one of these ships (NCL and Princess) have something to offer. We cruise them all and enjoy them all. I can find things that are not to our total liking on both NCL and Princess. However, anyone may find them both to their liking and totally satisfied. We just got off of Celebrity Reflection and were disappointed in the food, service and other things. We are Elite+ on Celebrity so we have cruised on them over 20 times. Would I say not to cruise on Celebrity? NO, we did enjoy the cruise. Would we recommend Celebrity? We would not say DO NOT CRUISE X. NO! It is your choice. It all depends on what you like and your experience. It is always your personal choice and someone else on the same ship and line will find it different.

At one time we would not cruise NCL ( from 1996 until 2016. We did the Norway 4 times and the Norwegian Crown (Apr 96) which was the original Regal Odyssey in Oct 89. Then we never went back on NCL until the Escape Feb 16. NCL sold out to Star which is a China Company.

Now we really like NCL! Different cruise lines offer different experiences. So,. we don't have a favorite as we still cruise Celebrity, Costa, HAL, Princess, MSC, NCL and RCI. Each one has its + and -. Happy Cruising!!!