Eastern Carib- Emerald vs. Regal?

Wmp7

Looking for some advice from Princess experts :D

I am torn over whether to do a 7 night Eastern Carib cruise on Regal or Emerald. For the specific sailing date I am looking at, the total fare difference (for 2 people) for a PH suite between the Emerald and the Regal is around $1000.00.

Also, Emerald stops at Grand Turk; Regal does not.

I realize these are two very different ships, but is the price difference worth it for Regal? Also, since I've never been to Grand Turk, what are the highlights of this stop? (Are the beaches the star attraction; what about the town itself? After looking online, I do have some idea of what this island offers, but I'd like to hear about the experiences of others. And, yes, I have looked at the thread specific to Grand Turk :))

Thanks, everyone! Look forward to hearing your feedback!

For a warm weather Caribbean sailing, I would prefer the Emerald.

I enjoy being up on deck and the Regal hasn't got enough pool spaces to satisfy.

Just my opinion.

Am assuming the Regal would cost you the extra $1000?

Save the money, sail on Emerald, book space in Sanctuary for the entire week and eat each night in a specialty restaurant. You'll still have $$ left for a few drinks!

I am looking at the same thing, either going to do the Feb 20 Emerald or Feb 21 Regal. From what I have found out about Grand Turk is that it would be more of a beach stop. The Emerald is a great ship and I really enjoyed my January cruise on her. The difference in cost for me would only be about $200 for a single in an interior cabin. I am leaning towards trying out the Regal, but since I travel with my parents I have to wait for them to make a decision.

We've sailed on both the Emerald and the Royal (twin to Regal, but a year older). We like Emerald a lot - so much so, that we sailed her 6 weeks ago out of Houston and are going again this coming weekend! The ship is in good shape for its age, well-run and enjoyable.

Regal will have a much newer vibe, a much bigger Atrium and International Café, and separate dessert room in the Horizon Court make it really pleasant. The "Skywalk" out over the ocean is a real gimmick. You do it once and then wish it wasn't taking up so much ship real estate the rest of the cruise. Personally, however, I couldn't justify paying $1000 more for the Regal, unless you just like to cruise the newest ships.

Have been to Turks and Caicos several times and yes, it is all about the beaches. The little town/port you dock in was built maybe 8-10 years ago and is kinda cute. There is a good beach right as you get off the ship. Be warned, we have missed Turks & Caicos several times on cruises when it was too windy to come into port - that happens sometimes going in there.

From what I have found out about Grand Turk is that it would be more of a beach stop.

If you want it to be just a beach stop, it can be. But it can also be more than that.

Go to the Princess web site and see the possible shore excursions that are normally offered there.

When we were there, one of use did a horseback ride that included riding in the ocean near a beach. The other one of use took a tour of the island which included a museum, an unusual tourist store and more.

Being thrify, I would save the grand and book Emerald. If the price was more equitable -- say, $200 difference -- I would absolutely book Regal!

I've sailed multiple times on both Grand Class and Royal Class ships and, in addition to being newer, the Royal Class (Royal and Regal Princess) has so much more to offer...dining and entertainment venues/opportunities, elegantly beautiful decor and fresh, well-maintained surroundings.

What some perceive as negatives on the Royal and Regal -- no center staircase, no full promenade, smaller balconies and hard-to-reach toilet paper rolls (that one really makes me laugh:D ) -- are, in my opinion, far outweighed by what the the Royal Class offers. For me, those "negatives" are non-issues.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time! You won't make a mistake with either one.

For the money I would do the suite on the Emerald. Extra credit towards elite (if you aren't already ) and the Emerald is supposed to be leaving for Australia I believe. I liked the Regal and the royal. I thought Turks and Caicos was nice. You will have a great time which ever way you decide.

We did a Baltic cruise on Emerald. Couldn't have found a single thing to complain about. Getting ready to sail this month on Royal. The lack of a center staircase isn't a big deal for me, but I wish the balconies were bigger. DH and I have long legs, and sitting sideways makes my motion sickness worse. Hopefully my Bonine will keep me shipshape.

I'd go by itinerary if they're different, and then price to make the decision.

... and hard-to-reach toilet paper rolls (that one really makes me laugh:D )

This is one of the hotel rooms we stayed in Copenhagen. Comparing with this room, Royal's hard-to-reach is a piece of cake.

834577686_Room424Toilet.jpg.f4bf5f92ad31686554cda8e4459b8b8c.jpg

• 1 month later...

We have sailed the Regal and most of the Emerald's sister ships. We are sailing the Emerald on Dec 14 2015 instead of the Dec 13th sailing of the Regal. We will sail the Regal again after the first of 2016 I am sure - she is a beautiful ship and we loved her - but we really love the "Grand" class ships as well. I wouldn't spend the extra money and you will truly enjoy the Emerald I am sure.

I like the Regal better than the Emerald, but for the $1,000 price diff. I woule go with the Emerald.

Absolutely.

I like the extra stop too. Just off the Regal eastern itinerary and one more stop would have made it a bit better.

I was facing the same dilemma and chose the Regal over the Emerald for our cruise next March. We were on the Royal last year and cruised on the Caribbean Princess last month. There were so many things that I missed about the Royal on this last cruise that we decided to check out the Regal. But, there wasn't a price difference so our decision was a little easier. A $1,000 difference in price would have swayed me to the Emerald Princess.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this up as we're having a similar dilemma:

Option #1 - Regal Princess

Fort Lauderdale - Princess Cays - St Thomas - St Maarten - Fort Lauderdale - Princess Cays - Grand Cayman - Costa Maya - Cozumel

Option #2 - Emerald Princess

Fort Lauderdale - Princess Cays - St Maarten - St Thomas - Grand Turk - Fort Lauderdale - Grand Cayman - Roatan - Cozumel - Princess Cays

It will be mine and my husband's first cruise (we're both 29 yo) and we'll be in an interior cabin. Prices are pretty much the same (small variations depending on date selected).

Or alternatively we do one part of one of the above cruise so just a 7 night segment.

I have been on both and I would choose Regal. The Regal is a beautiful ship with a lot of extras that made it amazing for us. I know I am going against the grain, but I prefer the bigger and new ship. (Plus the Buffett is over the top amazing)

Whatever you choose you will have a great time.

I am actually looking at the same cruise! I am debating about what to do because I am bringing a group with me (who have never cruised before). The Regal costs more but goes less places. The Emerald is an older ship, but it's cheaper, has more pools, and goes to an extra port. Tell me what you choose!