How do you sleep the night before?

DMLyons

I don't know how people do it. For the last week or so, my sleep has gotten worse and worse. It's excitement, I'm sure. It happens whenever I'm going on a big trip. So, to help pass the last day before I leave... :D

How do others get to sleep before a cruise? Do you sleep? What tricks do you use to sleep better?

DML

With one eye open and on the alarm clock ;). Years ago Disney had an adorablr commercial with two children the night before leaving on vacation. Mom apparently was admonishing them for not being asleep and in their sweet little voices they said, "we're too excited to sleep!". Pretty much sums it up.

I don't sleep. :D

As we usually fly in from Finland via Germany (Frankfurt), our best (shortest connection) flight leaves Helsinki around 6am and as we need to be at the airport 1-1,5 hrs before, that means leaving home at 4:30 latest so I don't sleep at all and keep myself busy packing and then sleep during the 12-16hrs flight(s) to US.

Personally, I am just like those kids in the disney commercial, I'm far too excited to sleep, too! :D I can never sleep leading up to the cruise. It's probably why the first night onboard, I sleep great! I generally get up extra early the day we leave to make sure everything is taken care of and to pack all those last minute little things.

No matter how tired I may be from lack of sleep, as soon as I step on the ship, it's like an instant shot of adrenaline. ;) Problem solved.

Two weeks from tomorrow we fly to Barcelona for our 1. First trip to Europe and 2. First cruise ever! Every once in a while when I think of the date fast approaching I get butterflies. But I can feel myself getting more and more excited to the point that there will be no sleeping the night before we leave unless I have a few glasses of wine or a Benedryl (which knock me out every time)!

Have fun on your trip!:)

LOL Not well at all! Also the night before our flights is sleepless. As a result I am very tired the first night and end up going to bed early. Then this sets a precedent of getting up early and pooping out early for the entire cruise! DARN, what am I missing after 9 pm?????

I do not sleep either.:)

Best thing to do it try to keep busy. Double check the house and that everything is taken care of for your vacation.

Also run through that pre vacation list about what you may need, extra sunscreen etc...

Triple check that you have your documents AND passport if you are taking one.

Have a great cruise!!

i always get to the port city the night before. so if I have time I investigate the city for a few hrs. otherwise I have a nice meal and drink a few glasses of wine to relax. I also get in the pool or hot-tub and just let the vacation begin by totally forgetting the outside world. LIFE IS GOOD ;)

I do not sleep either.:)

Best thing to do it try to keep busy. Double check the house and that everything is taken care of for your vacation.

Also run through that pre vacation list about what you may need, extra sunscreen etc...

Triple check that you have your documents AND passport if you are taking one.

Have a great cruise!!

At least I'm not the only one. Sigh... But all of that is done. I'm the type of person who had all the clothing and shoes packed 3 weeks before and checked off the list, so everything except pocket stuff is already packed and double checked. :rolleyes: The triple check will be tomorrow morning.

DML

I think if left to my own devices I'd be able to sleep fine, since I'm all packed and ready to go in advance. But the way things go over has nothing whatsoever to do with my being prepared. Here it is, our last night home and hubby goes into his mad-dash thing. His frantic running around gets me anxious. In three or four hours when he's finished with everything, he's ready to fall right off to sleep. I, on the other hand, can't even take something for my anxiety or I'll oversleep. Gawd I love that man, but there are times I wanna clobber him! LOL

I try to spend the day prior finishing up packing and cleaning up the house, and ultimately try to work myself to exhaustion. However tired the body is, the brain doesn't turn off from excitement. I generally board the plane and try to sleep on the way to the port city. We go a day ahead, so by the time I hit the pillow in the hotel, I'm ready for sleeping.

I think if left to my own devices I'd be able to sleep fine, since I'm all packed and ready to go in advance. But the way things go over has nothing whatsoever to do with my being prepared. Here it is, our last night home and hubby goes into his mad-dash thing. His frantic running around gets me anxious. In three or four hours when he's finished with everything, he's ready to fall right off to sleep. I, on the other hand, can't even take something for my anxiety or I'll oversleep. Gawd I love that man, but there are times I wanna clobber him! LOL

I feel for you. We don't have that problem, since I started packing for my husband back when he was in the Navy. He doesn't even know what I've packed for him, but he trusts that it's everything he'll need and more. I even purchased clothing for him for the trip, and again...he doesn't even know what I've bought. ;) If there's anything specific he wants or needs to take along, he tells me early on, and I add it to the checklist.

No, my lack of sleep the night before isn't his fault. We both just get so excited and keyed up, we can't sleep well.

DML

We wake up early the day before so we are tired by the time we are ready for sleep.

Keith

Good idea, but since I normally start work at just after 5 am...probably not workable for me to wake up even earlier than I usually do. :p Besides, since we sail tomorrow, it's too late for me to get up early this morning. ;)

DML

Archived