Anyone familiar with these speakers?

jimmybean

Has anyone attended insights programs featuring any of these speakers? They are listed as scheduled on the Queen Victoria next February and March.

Thank you for your replies.

V505

2nd - 17th February 2015

Shirley Jones

Actress

Simon Newman

Historian

Roy Hunt

Music Historian

V506

17th February - 11th March 2015

Robert Powell

Actor

John McMichan

Medical Expert

Has anyone attended insights programs featuring any of these speakers? They are listed as scheduled on the Queen Victoria next February and March. Thank you for your replies.

V505

2nd - 17th February 2015

Shirley Jones Actress Simon Newman Historian Roy Hunt Music Historian

V506

Robert Powell Actor John McMichan Medical Expert

Hi jimmybean,

I know of Robert Powell...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Powell.

And Shirley Jones...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Jones

Sadly, not heard either of them lecture on board, and I'm not familiar with the others, sorry :( .

Edited by pepperrn

Has anyone attended insights programs featuring any of these speakers? They are listed as scheduled on the Queen Victoria next February and March.

Yes, Roy Hunt is a very popular musical historian who gives interesting and informative lectures on the great song-writers of yesteryear. He has often been featured on QM2 and several other of the top cruise lines. We met him last year on two transatlantic voyages. If you are interested in the life stories of the great song-writers and musical personalities of the past then you will enjoy his lectures.

Roy Hunt also plays the ukulele and often accompanies the songs in this fashion, encouraging the audience to join in. Occasionally he can be found in other parts of the ship and the enclosed photo shows Roy and Russell Holmes (long-standing QM2 cocktail-pianist) getting together to entertain in the Chart Room.

1124061338_russandroy.jpg.1d88a8fdc26b71a0c5d0efe73e6f1299.jpg

V505

2nd - 17th February 2015

Shirley Jones

Actress

Shirley Partridge... My first teenage crush. Are there any cabins left? Price is (almost) irrelevant. How do I explain this to my wife? This isn't good for my blood pressure.

Come to think of it, if she can (still) go to David Cassidy concerts why should I have to explain anything? Also, just noticed wife's birthday falls during this cruise. Could I gain some Brownie Points by taking her away for her Birthday?

:confused:

That's an interesting juxtaposition having Shirley Jones and Roy Hunt both listed on the Insight programme for the same voyage.

As Slow Foxtrot has mentioned, Roy Hunt gives lectures on song writers of the past. One of his topics is "The Life, Lyrics and Music of Oscar Hammerstein." And of course Shirley Jones had starring roles in the film versions of at least two Hammerstein musicals -- Oklahoma! and Carousel -- as well as other musicals which might be in the scope of Roy's talks.

Regards,

John.

Yes, Roy Hunt is a very popular musical historian who gives interesting and informative lectures on the great song-writers of yesteryear. He has often been featured on QM2 and several other of the top cruise lines. We met him last year on two transatlantic voyages. If you are interested in the life stories of the great song-writers and musical personalities of the past then you will enjoy his lectures.

Roy Hunt also plays the ukulele and often accompanies the songs in this fashion, encouraging the audience to join in. Occasionally he can be found in other parts of the ship and the enclosed photo shows Roy and Russell Holmes (long-standing QM2 cocktail-pianist) getting together to entertain in the Chart Room.

Sounds like a lot of fun and interesting! Thank you for the description, Slow Foxtrot!

Shirley Partridge... My first teenage crush. Are there any cabins left? Price is (almost) irrelevant. How do I explain this to my wife? This isn't good for my blood pressure.

Come to think of it, if she can (still) go to David Cassidy concerts why should I have to explain anything? Also, just noticed wife's birthday falls during this cruise. Could I gain some Brownie Points by taking her away for her Birthday?

:confused:

Colin, please book! I enjoy reading your roll call postings so much : ) No point in you joining a roll call, though, if you won't be sailing. So, do book!

Hope you and your DW enjoyed May 9th crossing as much as we did.

After Pepper's description, I was remembering musicals---Totally forgot the Partridge Family.

Shirley should have many good stories to share. Sounds very entertaining

: )

Thank you, Pepper, durante and bluemarble for your replies.

I am not familiar with Robert Powell, although I vaguely remember Zula series, years ago.

Nonetheless, now that I know more, it is sounding like a great line-up.

I will try to see one of Robert Powell's films beforehand. (Maybe, on Netflix!)

Colin, do you want me to get Shirley's autograph for you or will come and get this yourself?

Thank you, all!

We shared a table with Roy Hunt and his charming wife on a TA a few years ago. Absolutely delightful dinner companions. Roy's lectures were SRO. He is a super-popular speaker on Cunard. And the audience loves to sing along with his uke playing.

I would love to hear both Shirley and Robert. Great stars. I didn't realise Shirley was still alive but obviously very alive and kicking if she is involved in this kind of work. Fabulous.

V505

2nd - 17th February 2015

Shirley Jones

Actress

Simon Newman

Historian

Roy Hunt

Music Historian

V506

Robert Powell

Actor

John McMichan

Medical Expert

Dr. McMichan was on a Queen Victoria cruise we were on. Fascinating lectures. He's originally from the UK, but is now associated with the Mayo Clinic. He even led an excursion we took in Lisbon.