Meds

socmft

This may be true for you but it certainly isn't true for us. I (Scott) take 20 pills daily and Karen takes 12. Our cruising last winter was for 223 days continuous. Do you have any idea of how large a bundle of medicines this represents in the original containers? It simply is not practical for us.

Scott and Karen

Ditto

OK Now think about Legal marijuana in many states.

Prescription container or not you may have trouble.

Not maybe. You will get in trouble for that. It's illegal to cross the state border with it, and even more illegal to cross the federal border with it.

TSA will check meds if they are bored under the premise that a pill can be a WTMD when mixed with that hazardous bottle water :roll eyes: They fail at the tests for explosives and weapons all the time. They will also check for excess cash and, if they think you have it, they will call over the Customs or local LEO…

Just because it has not happened to you does not mean it does not happen...

Just the other day TSA missed a loaded gun. But they found and kept this Buzz Lightyear toy off the plane.

flip-grip.jpg

Edited by CPT Trips

I travel with medication all the time, and have never had an issue with either TSA or U.S. Customs & Border Protection. Nobody has even asked about medication, in the U.S....however,

The worst experience I ever had traveling with medication was Sydney, Australia :confused:

On their customs form they ask if you're bringing in any medication. I honestly answered yes. Well, when I got to customs, somebody checked my form and because I'd checked that I had medicine, I had to get in this never-ending-Disneyland-on-a-holiday style line with two 747's full of Asians who had also just arrived. I have no idea where everyone else on my flight (from Los Angles) disappeared to, but I felt like I was the only one on that whole plane with prescription drugs, and not from China :( Seriously, almost everyone else in that line was from the Asia flights. After almost an hour of barely moving, and feeling like I was about to pass out from the heat in the terminal and the pain in my back, one of the Australian customs guys came up to me and asked to see my form - I must have stood out like a sore thumb in that line. The guy asked me what medication I had and I told him "thyroid medicine". He pulled me out of the line and sent me on my merry way out the exit. I'm hoping to visit Australia again in 2018, but I might try to fly into an airport other than Sydney because I don't want a repeat of that experience :eek: When the time comes, I'll certainly do some research into the best airports in Australia for Americans with thyroid medicine to fly into :p

I know a couple people already responded to this, but I'll add a tidbit of info in case anyone else encounters overzealous TSA agents. It is important to know that TSA is responsible for transportation safety. They are not law enforcement. Questioning your prescriptions is outside of their duties. The law enforcement branch of TSA is the Air Marshals, and they are not working the security lines. If TSA ever does this to you again, immediately demand a law enforcement officer.

I was just flipping channels and stopped on FOX news interviewing some Thanksgiving travelers going through LAX. One woman said security was slow and took a long time and pointed out she was carrying medications. It took a while for security to check them to be sure she wasn't carrying something she shouldn't be.

On the day before Thanksgiving, in the current climate, was this woman (who seemed totally unruffled) to hold the lines even longer and argue with Security Official what they are permitted to check and what is not their area of responsibility? The implication was they were checking for something 'dangerous' rather than illegal.

I wouldn't want to be the person on this busy travel day arguing with a TSA Agent.

I was just flipping channels and stopped on FOX news interviewing some Thanksgiving travelers going through LAX. One woman said security was slow and took a long time and pointed out she was carrying medications. It took a while for security to check them to be sure she wasn't carrying something she shouldn't be.

On the day before Thanksgiving, in the current climate, was this woman (who seemed totally unruffled) to hold the lines even longer and argue with Security Official what they are permitted to check and what is not their area of responsibility? The implication was they were checking for something 'dangerous' rather than illegal.

I wouldn't want to be the person on this busy travel day arguing with a TSA Agent.

I turned down the volume ;)

She absolutely should have had the Airport Security Screener get a supervisor. The screeners are not trained to recognize pharmaceuticals, nor is it their jurisdiction.

My advice wasn't absolute. Of course, there needs to be discretion. When a LE officer should be demanded isn't when TSA is checking the meds. Rather, it's when they start hassling because of the meds. If TSA is holding you up because something in your meds doesn't pass their sniff test, the way to resolve it is with an actual LEO.