"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I know the majority of these replies say to pack light and take half of what you'll wear. I'm the opposite! lol.

I'm a Baker so I'm in my whites 5 days a week and too tried being mommy the other two. Baking and mommy = I get pretty grubby every day and just throw on the comfy clothes.

So when I cruise I pack 1 pair of jeans and the rest dresses. I have a closet full of dresses I never get to wear. So cruising time is my girly time. I get to put on makeup everyday, wear jewelry, its the one week a year I paint my nails. I will wear two or three different dresses every day of the cruise.

That's how I celebrate my vacation and how much you want to pack or don't want to is completely up to you. :)

Pack. Comfortable. Shoes. Also my legs/ankles swelled up and that's never happened to me before in my life so be prepared for that possibility. We did an excursion at every port so if you're like us (and in the Caribbean) bring one short and shirt for each port... I tried to mix and match by bringing less shorts and extra shirts, but I ended up needing an extra pair of shorts as I sweated too much (wore quick dry swim cover shorts instead a few days). Avoid white unless you wash off the sunscreen first as it will turn it a nasty color. Test your sunscreen first if you have sensitive skin and haven't used one in a while. Mine broke me out. All the extra stuff isn't necessary, I HIGHLY recommend bringing a first aid kit though, but I take one on every trip everywhere. Also if you're of drinking age and like sweet stuff, try the mango-Rita on RC :D it was my favorite.

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

My friend is going on a cruise for her honeymoon and neither have been on one before and she just doens't have time to read these boards, wedding planning and all, so I thought I might compile a list for her. I tried composing one myself but found that I just kept forgetting things. Thanks for everyone's help!

That it was so much fun and why didn't we do it sooner.:eek::eek:

Hi everyone! I will be going on my first cruise in March for my 35th birthday. Just a few quick questions. How long does it take for cruise documents to be available as far as telling me when I can board and any more detail about the cruise itself?

Secondly, how long does it usually take for them to deliver your luggage? And why exactly don't they let you just bring it with you when you board the ship?

Thanks everyone.

I depends on the line but in my experience luggage has usually arrived about the time I get to the stateroom.

You can carry on as much as you'd like (can't you?) but carried luggage has to fit through the metal detector and you have to manage it up the ramp and to your room. On some lines your room isn't available until awhile after you've boarded so you'd have to keep track of the luggage until then when most other people are getting lunch in the Lido buffet.

Edited by Underwatr

Hi everyone! I will be going on my first cruise in March for my 35th birthday. Just a few quick questions. How long does it take for cruise documents to be available as far as telling me when I can board and any more detail about the cruise itself?

Secondly, how long does it usually take for them to deliver your luggage? And why exactly don't they let you just bring it with you when you board the ship?

Thanks everyone.

Here is my recent experience from Princess:

- The cruise documents (boarding pass, etc) were available about 75 days in advance of the cruise. They did not really tell you much about the cruise itself. Probably learn more hear on CruiseCritic. Also, if you want to do ship sponsored shore excursions then continue to watch your cruise line's website, since they may not post them all at once, i.e. more may be added as time goes by.

- I suggest just bring a carry-on with you on board and let them handle your luggage. My experience has been on Princess that the luggage is delivered quickly, but I suggest if there is something you really want to have on the first afternoon aboard (i.e. a swimsuit), then put it in your carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

To familyoutdoors,

Mine has an integral hook at the top. Is a part of yours missing? :confused:

By the way I've found it just as useful in hotel rooms on non-cruise holidays. There are rarely enough surfaces in a room to put things on such as toiletteries/make up.

You'll be pleased you took it with you.

I have one of those multi shoe organizer things that everyone keeps saying is a good idea to bring. It has a couple holes at the top. How is everyone hanging this? Are you bringing your own hooks, or are there some already in the bathroom or is my organizer just weird?

These are usually called "over the door" shoe holders, because they come with hooks that go over the top edge of the door (and then holes slip over the end of each hook). You can see a picture of an organizer plus the hooks here.

If your hooks have gone missing, you can just take some Command hooks (the kind that the adhesive peels off easily with no damage). Just make sure that you get a size large enough to hold the combined weight of your organizer + contents, but also small enough that the holes of your organizer will actually fit on your hooks.

You will be so pleasantly surprised to find the numerous cubbyholes and nooks or storage in a cruise cabin. They take complete advantage of every inch of space to give you storage. We carried the over-the-door thing for a couple of cruises and it never left the suitcase. Others swear by it.

I have one of those multi shoe organizer things that everyone keeps saying is a good idea to bring. It has a couple holes at the top. How is everyone hanging this? Are you bringing your own hooks, or are there some already in the bathroom or is my organizer just weird?

I felt complied to respond. Hanging Multi shoe organizers usually come with hooks. In a pinch, you can usually jury-rig with a coat hanger. As to whether I personally use a shoe organizer, the answer is sometimes. It depends on how many of us will be in a cabin and what level of cabin (inside vrs. Grand suite) I am in. I usually don't bring a shoe organizer if it is just me and the girlfriend as there is usually enough space/cubby holes/nooks in the cabin. That being said, on the occasion she brings her two kids, meaning four of us in a cabin, I definitely bring one to hang on a hanger in the closet for the additional storage space. As with anything, tailor what you bring to your specific needs/style.

Hi everyone

Great thread! If I am going to a beach and will be swimming, I bring a thin plastic carrier bag so I can then put my wet swimming costume and towel into that - thus keeping everything else in my beach bag nice and dry when I am returning to the ship.

Having cruised only once, I can only add that Crew shows are a must-see, at least on MS Rotterdam. One of them had a part that was so hilarious my chest hurt from laughing the rest of the night.

Also, I understood that the participating crewmembers create these shows while off duty. So even if you don't like the shows, a full theatre is also a little "thank you" from the passengers.

To familyoutdoors,

Mine has an integral hook at the top. Is a part of yours missing? :confused:

By the way I've found it just as useful in hotel rooms on non-cruise holidays. There are rarely enough surfaces in a room to put things on such as toiletteries/make up.

You'll be pleased you took it with you.

Yes, I don't know where I picked it up at along the way. Thrift store, friend. It has been hanging on the door in my craft room by some nails or hooks that my kids put there.

Have looked at some video of the bathroom (and it is only the DH and I) I am leaning towards not bringing it at all. Looks like there is a shelf in the shower for shampoos/conditioner soaps, etc. The rest I will find a place for. -But if we were sharing a room with more than 2 or the other person was also female, maybe the organizer would come in handy after all.

Thanks to all that replied!

Every evening my DH and I take a few minutes to walk on the deck and tell each other how happy we are to be there together! Years ago when we were first married and did not have 2 cents to rub together did we believe we would ever be on such a beautiful ship, in such a beautiful place, with nothing to do but stroll the deck and gaze at the stars.

We are very lucky, these days especially these days it is harder for us to pay for a cruise and all the things that go with it so please, make sure you find the joy in it, not the things to complain about!

I wish you all a GREAT cruise!:D

YES! A great outlook for a cruise. DW and I have enjoyed 40 years of marriage, and this cruise is our "honeymoon". After all these years of sacrificing, raising a family, taking care of each other, we can finally do something for us. And we will enjoy the cruise and each others company to the max! Whatever you do or do not pack, be sure to pack your Joy and Happiness, and use them often...

YES! A great outlook for a cruise. DW and I have enjoyed 40 years of marriage, and this cruise is our "honeymoon". After all these years of sacrificing, raising a family, taking care of each other, we can finally do something for us. And we will enjoy the cruise and each others company to the max! Whatever you do or do not pack, be sure to pack your Joy and Happiness, and use them often...

Definitely some of the best advice! Bring Joy & Happiness. Leave Doubts & Negativity at home.

Family outdoors,

Since I last posted to you about these great organisers, I've been meaning to get mine out, as it isn't actually a shoe one, to tell you just what it is!

It's called a bathroom cabinet from nomadtravel.co.uk & has an integral hanger to go over a door, a hook or even the rail in the wardrobe.

Mine has 4 horizontal sections in thick plastic to contain any spills & is perfect for small bottles of your usual stuff. (I use refillable ones.) It folds flat for packing & has a small mirror inside. I wouldn't be without it!

Enjoy your cruise :)

• 2 weeks later...

1. We always take over the door organizer - yes, there is lots of room in the cabin but we won't put things away or be able to find themt - clear organizer works wonderfully!! Just roll it up to take home - holds sunscreen, sunglasses, bandaids, clothes pins - every little thing!!

2. Took two strong magnets last time and they worked great! Got them at Staples and they looked like a binder clip ! Worked great for compass, invites, etc. No more clutter!!

3. Also took a strong rubber band to put on hair dryer to keep it turned on while drying hair - pretty handy!!