"H" category for 2016 sailings deceptive?

I asked my TA to book an H cabin on the SF-Vancouver cruise May 2016 on the first day reservations were available. She was unable to reserve a cabin because they had "all been scooped up" by other travel agencies and none were available. I've had a funny feeling that this would be the case ever since the new itineraries came out and the "H" categories on all the 2016 cruises were listed as "guaranteed" Still listed as guaranteed on the website, I might note.

Anyone else booking these last couple of days have this experience on a 2016 itinerary? I have a "G" on hold but probably will not keep it.

BTW, I have been able to get the lowest category fare on all but one of my previous Regent cruises and that's because I booked later.

The "H" categories have not been "scooped" up by other travel agents - ALL the new cruises in "H" were listed as guaranteed the minute they were released. According to what I have learned, if you want to book the least expensive category of cabin available, you will not be able to select your cabin. The only way you have the ability to select your cabin is to pay the higher fares for a "G" category.

We have friends who were planning to take a Regent cruise in 2016 in an "H" category, but when they learned of this new pricing "scheme", they changed their mind and selected another vacation option.

gnomie :)

I do not believe that TA's reserve blocks of suites but this is something that is common in the cruise industry. What I believe is happening is that TA's have customers that selected their cruises before the booking date for 2016 cruises and were on a list. The minute the TA's were able to book suites, they did (they probably did book guarantees but it still temporarily sold out the category).

I just did a quick count of how many "H" category suites there are on each ship -- there are only a few. Unless I miscounted, there are 12 "H" category suites on the Navigator, and 10 on the Mariner and Voyager. They could easily book up in minutes. There will likely be cancellations between now and 2016 and suggest that you waitlist a category "H" suite.

My understanding is that certain T agencies block book (actually only hold) a number of rooms in certain catagories based upon their experience for group travel & if not sold within a period of time (it varies but could be up to 2 months) then those uncommitted rooms are released.

On the morning that the new cruises were announced , EVERY cruise showed that "H" categories are guarantee only - they did not sell out every cabin on every ship on every voyage before releasing the voyages to the public. What Regent is trying to do is "upsell" - make people spend more money than initially anticipated or planned. IF they later find that they are unable to sell the "H" cabins as guarantees, then at a later date they may make them available for selection, but right now there are many cabins available, you just cannot select them. If one wants to select a cabin, they need to spend the extra money for a "G" suite.

On the morning that the new cruises were announced , EVERY cruise showed that "H" categories are guarantee only - they did not sell out every cabin on every ship on every voyage before releasing the voyages to the public. What Regent is trying to do is "upsell" - make people spend more money than initially anticipated or planned. IF they later find that they are unable to sell the "H" cabins as guarantees, then at a later date they may make them available for selection, but right now there are many cabins available, you just cannot select them. If one wants to select a cabin, they need to spend the extra money for a "G" suite.

You know this as a fact?

Showing all "H" suites as guaranteed when booking first opens has happened before. My TA was asked about it and commented that sometimes Regent holds back those suites for passengers on back-to-back cruises. Also Regent uses some of the "H" suites for lecturers or entertainers. Once Regent has determined how many "H" suites it needs, it has released individual "H" suites back into the pool of available suites later.

There are only ten "H" suites at most available on the Mariner. Normally they are booked quickly. So, while people who want to book a particular "H" suite at this time cannot do so, most likely more than 10 people have been able to book a guarantee suite on the Mariner at the "H" suite rate. If you want to book a particular suite at the lowest price, you'll be disappointed. If you're happy to book a guarantee at the lowest price, you'll be happy because you've locked in the lowest fare when that fare might not have been available to you because ten other people booked an "H" before you.

Edited by DaveFr

TA told me she is unable to book lowest fare even with under the "guarantee" status (no room assignment) option. We have taken that option before to get the H fare on the Mariner. Her explanation is close to dabear's but I suspect the real reason is more aligned with extra revenue as gnomie suggested.

I don't like being sent emails and brochures inviting me to book the "preview collection" 2 weeks before and then being told the lowest fare is unavailable the FIRST day bookings are available. My TA is still working on it, but this kind of BS right at the start is not what I expect from Regent and is just enough aggravation to cancel the booking if I can't get the advertised price.

Has anyone successfully got an "h" cabin on any of the new sailings?

Showing all "H" suites as guaranteed when booking first opens has happened before. My TA was asked about it and commented that sometimes Regent holds back those suites for passengers on back-to-back cruises. Also Regent uses some of the "H" suites for lecturers or entertainers. Once Regent has determined how many "H" suites it needs, it has released individual "H" suites back into the pool of available suites later.

There are only ten "H" suites at most available on the Mariner. Normally they are booked quickly. So, while people who want to book a particular "H" suite at this time cannot do so, most likely more than 10 people have been able to book a guarantee suite on the Mariner at the "H" suite rate. If you want to book a particular suite at the lowest price, you'll be disappointed. If you're happy to book a guarantee at the lowest price, you'll be happy because you've locked in the lowest fare when that fare might not have been available to you because ten other people booked an "H" before you.

Thanks Dave -- that makes more sense. I did check a couple of cruises for 2016 -- one had category "H" waitlisted -- the other was guaranteed. It sounds like the suggestion to getting on a waiting listing for that category is still the best way of obtaining one.

We are booked on the cruise you are referring to, though the 14 night B2B version. From the time it appeared on the website, H was a guarantee, so I checked several other cruises. H was guarantee on all. So if you want to book a specific suite, G or higher is the only choice. We booked a G.

I really would not mind having a guarantee on mariner were it not for the shower vs bathtub issue. My husband would absolutely not like the tub, and I would not be happy either. It is a safety hazard as far as I am concerned. So we only book suites with the shower.

Don't get caught up in the hype created by this. Unless you "must be" on a certain cruise and "must have" an assigned suite, I am gathering it is now better to book later than earlier. Regent has reduced prices and/or added incentives on certain/many cruises. I think it is better to wait until 6 to 8 months out and monitor availability. Again, this works if you are flexible. The only challenge is air availability, especially if you want good flight selection and/or need business class. I do remember people to have booked air included penthouses for the Mariner in the Med last summer , only to have regent offer $499 business class air upgrades on regular suites with no discount to those who had already booked the higher priced air included suites. Again, don't get caught up in this pricing hype created by Regent as there are many luxury cruise options/offers to choose from both Regent and competitors.

The top suites and the lowest book within MINUTES, literally. I know this for a fact. I guess a really good TA matters.

Wow, on every single sailing within minutes?? Seems to be unique to Regent. Have not seen this on Seabourn (now with reduced capacity since sale of small ships), or Silversea, or Crystal. Very interesting. With Regents already high pricing, just another reason to consider Silversea as a better option.

Edited by Sunprince

Wow, on every single sailing within minutes?? Seems to be unique to Regent. Have not seen this on Seabourn (now with reduced capacity since sale of small ships), or Silversea, or Crystal. Very interesting. With Regents already high pricing, just another reason to consider Silversea as a better option.

Oh, and just to demonstrate my point with a real example...look at the April 2016 schedule for the Navigator in the Med. Are there that many people booking a window suite on the Navigator in April 2016?? On a Med itinerary?? On the Navigator...Really? Highly unlikely!

Oh, and just to demonstrate my point with a real example...look at the April 2016 schedule for the Navigator in the Med. Are there that many people booking a window suite on the Navigator in April 2016?? On a Med itinerary?? On the Navigator...Really? Highly unlikely!

Seems you have some kind of axe to grind??? Based on your last couple posts...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This seems to be a very reasonable explanation and there does not seem to be any conspiracy at all.

Don't get caught up in the hype created by this. Unless you "must be" on a certain cruise and "must have" an assigned suite, I am gathering it is now better to book later than earlier. Regent has reduced prices and/or added incentives on certain/many cruises. I think it is better to wait until 6 to 8 months out and monitor availability. Again, this works if you are flexible. The only challenge is air availability, especially if you want good flight selection and/or need business class. I do remember people to have booked air included penthouses for the Mariner in the Med last summer , only to have regent offer $499 business class air upgrades on regular suites with no discount to those who had already booked the higher priced air included suites. Again, don't get caught up in this pricing hype created by Regent as there are many luxury cruise options/offers to choose from both Regent and competitors.

I totally agree with you - things are not like they use to be. I remember when my parents traveled, many of the Regent cruises were sold out many months in advance. Often they would make their reservations early and later on friends would attempt to join them, still many months away from sailing, only to find no "room at the inn" and even though these friends remained on the wait list, more often than not no space ever became available. My Mom and I are looking at a number of cruises for 2015 and each and everyone of them is wide open with many cabins to choose from. We are also taking the attitude of wait and see because we believe that either prices will drop or their will be other incentives. We are quite fortunate to live in the NYC area so for the most part flights are not a problem. At the point, the only time we book early is when we are traveling with the kids, we need the suites with 1 1/2 baths and those go quickly on the cruises with the special rates for children.

Edited by gnomie1

Seems you have some kind of axe to grind??? Based on your last couple posts...

No axe to grind at all, and with all due respect to everyone's opinions I just don't buy it. Just looking for the facts. If Regent is only offering H as guarantee only then that's fully within their right to price their cruises as they wish. However, Regent should be clear on this. If people want to accept this then that's their choice and money but it is not my choice. I'd love to know who are all those people or agents that have snapped up the 2016 April Med cruises though:)

If you refer back to DaveFr's post, he gives his TA's explanation regarding "H" category suites. I looked up two itineraries in 2016 -- one was "waitlisted" and the other "guaranteed". As the OP indicated, they have always been able to get lower category cruises when they book later. This more or less supports the explanation that DaveFr gave. As long as I can remember, "H" category suites were not available when itineraries first come out. This is nothing new.

In terms of trying other luxury cruise lines, many times I think this is a sensible idea. We have tried Silversea -- it is a very nice cruise line - we enjoyed it but always return to Regent. There is something about Regent's culture that I didn't find on Silversea (or Oceania).

The G.M. of our last cruise, Massimo, told us a quick story about the first time he went on a Regent ship (the Navigator). He was wearing street clothes, no one knew who he was. A crew member was doing some kind of work on the ship. When he saw Massimo he said "welcome home". That simple welcome is genuine and is part of the culture we like and appreciate.

No cruise line is perfect -- guests find things they do not like about all of them -- I learned this from reading the Silversea and Seabourn boards over the years. Even some "Crystalized" Crystal passengers were extremely upset when they started charging for repeat specialty restaurant reservations. IMO, the grass isn't always greener on the other side but it is different.

Regent is not like it used to be -- nor are other cruise lines, airlines, etc. Repeat customers have the highest expectations of Regent. Things that once "wowed" us can easily be taken for granted after a while. With the NCL purchase looming, we are seeing more and more negative threads. Regent threads went through this almost 7 years ago when Apollo purchased Regent. It looks like this may occur again. And, I expect that all of us will get through this once again. Either we will continue sailing with Regent or we won't. In terms of this thread, once again, they are not doing anything different now than last year or the year before or the year before.............

This is my opinion. Sunprince and others have different opinions and they are all valid -- even if we do not agree with them.

Note: While I agree with Caroldoll's post about lowest categories booking first, it has not been our experience that the top suites also book first (although this is the case on Oceania). We have obtained upsells to upper suites 2 weeks prior to sailing. One time our TA accepted an upsell on our behalf while we were in the air on the way to the embarkation port.

Edited by Travelcat2

If you refer back to DaveFr's post, he gives his TA's explanation regarding "H" category suites. I looked up two itineraries in 2016 -- one was "waitlisted" and the other "guaranteed". As the OP indicated, they have always been able to get lower category cruises when they book later. This more or less supports the explanation that DaveFr gave. As long as I can remember, "H" category suites were not available when itineraries first come out. This is nothing new.

In terms of trying other luxury cruise lines, many times I think this is a sensible idea. We have tried Silversea -- it is a very nice cruise line - we enjoyed it but always return to Regent. There is something about Regent's culture that I didn't find on Silversea (or Oceania).

The G.M. of our last cruise, Massimo, told us a quick story about the first time he went on a Regent ship (the Navigator). He was wearing street clothes, no one knew who he was. A crew member was doing some kind of work on the ship. When he saw Massimo he said "welcome home". That simple welcome is genuine and is part of the culture we like and appreciate.

No cruise line is perfect -- guests find things they do not like about all of them -- I learned this from reading the Silversea and Seabourn boards over the years. Even some "Crystalized" Crystal passengers were extremely upset when they started charging for repeat specialty restaurant reservations. IMO, the grass isn't always greener on the other side but it is different.

Regent is not like it used to be -- nor are other cruise lines, airlines, etc. Repeat customers have the highest expectations of Regent. Things that once "wowed" us can easily be taken for granted after a while. With the NCL purchase looming, we are seeing more and more negative threads. Regent threads went through this almost 7 years ago when Apollo purchased Regent. It looks like this may occur again. And, I expect that all of us will get through this once again. Either we will continue sailing with Regent or we won't. In terms of this thread, once again, they are not doing anything different now than last year or the year before or the year before.............

This is my opinion. Sunprince and others have different opinions and they are all valid -- even if we do not agree with them.

Note: While I agree with Caroldoll's post about lowest categories booking first, it has not been our experience that the top suites also book first (although this is the case on Oceania). We have obtained upsells to upper suites 2 weeks prior to sailing. One time our TA accepted an upsell on our behalf while we were in the air on the way to the embarkation port.

As was explained to me from an inside person, as the bookings move along, the game they play surfaces.

Although the H or G book up immediately, as the sailing date nears, you will see the lower categories become guaranteed. This allows them to sell the bottom priced categories that will attract cruisers....which they then move into a higher category that isn't selling.

We have done this a few times, including the crossing we are now on. We had H GTY and were upped to an E concierge. No advantage for us as we had all the perks that went with it. And got a room as requested with a tub.

IMO, Regent is not playing a "game". They are doing what is necessary to accommodate both guests, lecturers and entertainers in their least expensive suites. I suppose that they could only offer category "G" and above suites and suddenly do a "special" for category "H" shortly before the cruise but they likely would be accused of something else:rolleyes:

IMO, Regent is not playing a "game". They are doing what is necessary to accommodate both guests, lecturers and entertainers in their least expensive suites. I suppose that they could only offer category "G" and above suites and suddenly do a "special" for category "H" shortly before the cruise but they likely would be accused of something else:rolleyes:

Do you suppose that your response is in any way related to what I posted?