Speedo Heaven

kitty9

Well, I've found the place where every Speedo ever made reside. I spent part of the day at Copacabana and Ipanema beach in Rio and every single man was wearing a Speedo. It didn't matter the age or size of the man (there were a couple of 300lb men), they just love their Speedos here. But, I really don't think Speedos are a good idea when the belly flops over so far that you cannot see the bathing suit anymore. And the women, you have to admire their body image. They all wear the dental floss bikinis and it doesn't matter what size they are---8 or 18 and they all wear the flossies. Even the senior set (the over 75 year olds) love the flossies. Gotta give them credit.

Darcie

Unfortunately, we were warned over and over again not to take our cameras to any of the beaches because that would make us targets for robbery. Rio has a pretty severe crime problem against tourists and we were all told to dress down, not wear jewelry of any kind, not to carry more than a couple of dollars and to be very careful.

Darcie

I wish I had their body image! I don't like to walk from my lounge chair to the pool because I feel like everyone is saying "Why is that fat girl wearing a bikini?!" icon_rolleyes.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Till the girls sail on the Sovereign!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;7;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Till the Brilliance!

R1 7/2000

Sensation 5/2001

Imagination 8/2002

Veendam 3/2003

Sovereign 4/2004

Brilliance 7/2005

haha, I know what you mean. I always run and get in the pool as fast as possible and when getting out of the pool have my b/f go get my towl for me. I know I'm not fat, would just feel very comfortable if I lost 20 lbs.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL DESTINY~

The US has got to be the most conservative place when it comes to body imaging. Much like the much tado over the Janet Jackson superbowl faux paus, most of Europe was asking what's the big deal? They've been exposing it all, big and small, old and young, for years. It's just not a big deal to them. Maybe we should all lighten up a little over here, with so many things we stress about, this would be one less!

tinsel57

I'm with you, JanetMarie....except for maybe one or two exceptions...Brad Pitt and George Clooney. Hubba Hubba! icon_wink.gif

<font color="#0000CC" face="Lydian Csv BT" size="4">~~Shelia~~</font></p>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

• 8 years later...
Well, I've found the place where every Speedo ever made reside. I spent part of the day at Copacabana and Ipanema beach in Rio and every single man was wearing a Speedo. It didn't matter the age or size of the man (there were a couple of 300lb men), they just love their Speedos here. But, I really don't think Speedos are a good idea when the belly flops over so far that you cannot see the bathing suit anymore. And the women, you have to admire their body image. They all wear the dental floss bikinis and it doesn't matter what size they are---8 or 18 and they all wear the flossies. Even the senior set (the over 75 year olds) love the flossies. Gotta give them credit.

Darcie

it has been almost 40 years since i have been there, but remember it if it was yesterday! i was on ipanema and copacabana beaches, quite the site, and so true about the women, looks like they only have a band aid covering them. great spot, bought a nice amethyst ring and had dinner at the cross at the top of the tramway, but those women must have the best skin and color in the world! plt2087

Mexico is like that, too, you will see the largest women in the smallest suits. It's actually considered a compliment to their men that they provide for them so well. As my boyfriend says, they let it all hang out. I try to do so when I'm down there, too, but haven't been able to do it other than on my patio or boat. But, I'm getting braver and he's encouraging me. I own several bikinis now, but you won't see me in one on a cruise, other than on my aftwrap balcony. :)

Mexico is like that, too, you will see the largest women in the smallest suits. It's actually considered a compliment to their men that they provide for them so well. As my boyfriend says, they let it all hang out. :)

That's interesting, because when we go to the beach in Puerto Vallarta it's very common to see the Mexican nationals swimming in their clothing, not swimsuits. I always thought it was odd but I've seen it so many times it doesn't seem unusual anymore.

Even though this thread is originally from 2004, it is the same in UK with Speedos, it is the norm. Some guys do wear longer styles usually younger guys/surfer types etc..

I had to go and get some of those longer swimming shorts fro DH when we came to the States. He was like why?

I wear a bikini by my own pool but if cruising generally I wear a tankini or costume.:D

On one Seabourn cruise, we were leaving Monte Carlo when a private yacht pulled beside our ship. There were four topless ladies sunning themselves on the yacht. One man on board our ship yelled "Naked women on the portside". You'd think they were giving out free cars, as so many men raced to the portside. About a minute later, the Captain came over the loudspeaker and said, "Gentlemen, please, take turns looking over at the beautiful yacht on our port. Our ship is in danger of tipping sideways."

You'd think these men had never seen uncovered breasts before. It really was quite pathetic.

It's interesting watching all of the different bathing suits/people ....some wearing only two band aids and cork (please no offense):rolleyes:, and others with their clothes on. I absolutely love people watching, so this would be great way to relax as well as having a great laugh. You can sure create some wonderful memories while on your trip. :D

People should wear what makes them feel comfortable and good about themselves, without regard to what others may think. If an out of shape person prefers wearing a skimpy bathing suit, so be it. Who am I to judge that person? I wear what I feel is appropriate for my age and body, but that is what works for me.

I have trouble feeling good about myself if I'm wearing an outfit that that's unflattering -- just like having a "bad hair day". It really has nothing to do with worrying about what other people think, just about being happy with what I see in the mirror.

I find these threads about "Speedos" really kind of interesting, because in fact Speedos come in all sorts of styles, including swim trunks and board shorts for men, and one-piece and tankinis with swim skirts for women. I actually like the look of their plus-sized suits (with square necks, which I love) and I'd love the opportunity to try one on. I saw them in an ad, and would love to find someone who carries them locally.

These threads are ridiculous. When are we going to realize that speedos are perfectly acceptable in most of the world? Who gives us the right to ridicule others simply because they have different swim attire norms?

Re: Speedo

I happen to like many of the speedo bathing suits I've seen. I was just saying that I love to people watch. It really comes down to a self image issue. I hate the way I look in a bathing suit. If someone is self confidant and has a great self image....knock yourself out. As long as there are no body parts that may expose certain things :p I have no problem. Happy cruiseing everyone!:D

• 1 year later...

I wear them still to this day. I spend time at the gym allot during week and have body for one, so I continue wearing it. Its the only swimsuit I own. Im talking about the brief style speedos, not the trunks and shorts in that brand.

These threads are ridiculous. When are we going to realize that speedos are perfectly acceptable in most of the world? Who gives us the right to ridicule others simply because they have different swim attire norms?

Its usually from mens wives and girlfriends that you hear negative comments about speedos. Reason I don't have a wife or girlfriend. don't need my "other half" telling me what and what not to wear. That was my Moms job when I was a kid.. LOL.

My motto is "Live and let live!" Everyone should have the right to wear whatever they want. It's not going to affect me in any way. Even if you're nude at a nude beach and I have my kid with me...hey it's the human body and in all it's natural glory!:D (We accidentally came across one in Santa Barbara once when the DS was about 4.) Made for some interesting conversation.:D Not an issue anymore as the DS is now 18. Maybe I would feel different if I had a girl...but I doubt it. It's not your problem if people are bothered by your wearing a Speedo/tiny bikini swimsuit, it's theirs.

By-the-way NavyVet...not all women henpeck! Give us a break! LOL! :)

Archived