30 day 1st solo

terkatz56

Waiting for the 2017 Holland cruises to come out to book, but have decided on the 30 day Hawaii/Tahiti. I will have to book as far out as I can because of work and scheduling challenges. I have resigned myself to the rate.

I have done 6 other cruises, I have booked directly through Holland and also used a TA. What are some of the benefits of using a TA or booking direct? The TA I used was online and so I have no personal relationship with one.

Any advice on such a long solo cruise? I will use the roll calls, as they have been helpful in the past for setting up excursions and finding friendly people aboard. I do many things on my own in life so I am not scared or worried.

Lots of time to research my journey's excursions, which I love to do. (always have a plan b though) Just looking for some tips as this will be my first solo.

Since you have cruised before at least you know all the ins and outs.......

I wish I could cruise for a month.......my sis and bil just left and will

be gone for a month too......they are on HAL and will be going to China

AND Japan!

Hope you have a fantastic time.:)

Thanks Lois...it is a longs ways off. I see you have quite a few cruises under your belt...would you mind me asking if you booked them through a TA or directly through the cruise lines? What are the differences in perks or anything for that matter?

Edited by Bighorn Hockey Nut

Thanks Lois...it is a longs ways off. I see you have quite a few cruises under your belt...would you mind me asking if you booked them through a TA or directly through the cruise lines? What are the differences in perks or anything for that matter?

Hi:).....I have done both.....I have a TA I use. Most times I book something while I am on a cruise and transfer it to her.....many times

the cruiseline offers something for booking on board......some obc for that new sailing and sometimes a lower deposit. And my TA usually

gives me something as well.

Edited by Lois R

I have no experience with a cruise that long, but I have to say that I'm horribly jealous. I saw that itinerary and it would be an absolute dream for me. Someday with enough time and money, maybe. :)

If you've never done a shorter vacation solo, I'd plan for one between now and then to get a feel for what you want and like. I know some people who are bothered by eating alone, as an example. Know what makes you happy as a solo traveler and then apply it to the cruise experience.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Just finished a 33-day repositioning, I've done other long cruises as well. The only big difference is planning for laundry- if self-serve is available or budgeting for ship laundry. Cleaning a cabin is almost as much work for 1 as for 2, so I also budget for a big tip if the steward does a good job. Menus and entertainment may also repeat.

As for Holland America- it looks like the OP knows what they're getting into, although the thread title does say 1st Solo. For anyone else young enough to have work scheduling- DON'T DO IT. My TA on Holland America, I was so bored I was seriously considering getting off in Funchal, and I should have, it didn't get any better. That's from somebody who's 65 years old and has a heart condition serious enough to get my driver's license suspended. The cruise line I travel with now is usually very family-oriented, but longer cruises have a much older passenger mix.

Edited by Dancer Bob

This is really exciting. You will have a lot of time to plan. Maybe you could get quotes from both HAL and online TAs. I've developed a relationship of sorts with my online TA. I like the fact that he has knowledge about different cruise line and ships. Two years ago I booked the Grand Princess over the Christmas/New Years holiday to Hawaii and bounced around 3 guarantee cabins until I ended up with my first balcony. I liked having my own TA during this process.

I've cruised with both HAL and Princess. My longest cruise with HAL was a PC cruise and my longest cruise with Princess was to Hawaii both over the Christmas/New Years holiday. I've liked Princess for my longer cruises because there is more going on both day and night. But I think any cruise line you do a 30 day cruise on will be an older crowd. I love HAL's itineraries best. You could check out HAL by doing a one week cruise solo.

I'm working my way up to a longer cruise hopefully in the next couple of years. There are so many wonderful choices. Faith

Thanks all...think I will get a quote from the online TA I have used in the past and see what is offered. I have done all my cruises on HAL and have always found though CC Roll calls, people will similar tastes and energy levels. I will be 60 in 2017 and I am an avid snorkeler...that is why this is my dream cruise.

I agree sea days on HAL are more subdued and that has me a little concerned, but there are many activities I have never gotten involved in before that I could now do. I guess if I get desperate I could always use the gym:D

Dancer Bob...I have always used the unlimited laundry service...which is super handy. I do understand that there will probably be a more sedate crowd, because of the length of this cruise...but am hoping there is more activities available. Did you not find that to be true?

Didn't mean to come off as a 1st time cruiser & solo...I am hoping that the roll call is an active one. I still have friends from my 1st cruise/roll call. Gives you the opportunity to be with people and join in activities, if you want. Thanks for the input!

With the unlimited package you can travel light, you only need enough to handle the laundry cycle.

I only travel on HAL with groups, once the group activities finish, usually 10 or 11 PM there's nothing to do, zip, zilch, nada. The buffet is kept open for staff, I'm usually the only passenger after 11PM. If I wanted zero nightlife I have lots of cheaper options, these are not people I'm going to have much in common with, it would be a disaster as a solo. Nor am I impressed by the physical condition these people have let themselves get into, I usually feel like the fittest and most active person pon board. You'll probably be lonely in the gym.

Another interesting tidbit- there are often singles lunches on sea days. The first day, there are close to equal numbers but by the end, only the guys are still attending, the women have checked out the available talent and aren't interested. So be it, but it means I don't have much sympathy for the "There's no single men" whine.

I think DancerBob raises a real good issue- the passenger makeup of a long cruise.

I haven't taken a 30 day, but have done a number of cruises between 14-19 days on Crystal, Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Carib.

At this point, I would not travel on Crystal or Azamara as a solo even though they are fine cruise lines.

• 2 months later...

I have been looking at the same cruise for after I retire. I am a widow, a professional, who likes good conversation, chess, and exploration of new places. I plan to take scuba lessons before I go. Now that you know a little bit about me what cruise line would be the best.

My first solo cruise was a 118 day World Voyage on Queen Elizabeth. I loved all of it, especially the sea days. I was never bored - if there was nothing I wanted to do in the Daily Programme, I was perfectly content to read a book or just sit and look at the ocean.

My last solo cruise was on HAL's Westerdam. It was 21 days and again I was never bored.

In 2016 I will be back on the Westerdam for a 33 day cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas. I booked this onboard and then transferred it to my travel agent when I got home. I always use a TA for cruises. I like having someone who knows the ins and outs of the companies, knows who to talk to, and can run interference for me if necessary.

I think DancerBob raises a real good issue- the passenger makeup of a long cruise.

I haven't taken a 30 day, but have done a number of cruises between 14-19 days on Crystal, Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Carib.

At this point, I would not travel on Crystal or Azamara as a solo even though they are fine cruise lines.

JoePatNYCT,

I am curious as to why you wouldn't travel solo on Azamara or Crystal? Both lines seem to be "solo friendly", at least in terms of single supplements. Have you had better solo experiences of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean?

Frank

JoePatNYCT,

I am curious as to why you wouldn't travel solo on Azamara or Crystal? Both lines seem to be "solo friendly", at least in terms of single supplements. Have you had better solo experiences of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean?

Frank

I have done two Crystal cruises solo (one 10 days, the other 15) and I thought they were wonderful. In contrast to that poster, I recommend Crystal to solo passengers, and I have an 18 day solo cruise booked for 2017. So I too am curious.

I guess it boils down to what you want as a solo passenger, and as a cruiser in general. From what I've seen and the people I've talked to aboard Crystal, my experience on board would have been almost the same if I had not been traveling solo; I certainly didn't notice any prejudice against solo travelers. As for whether there were enough things to do, people to meet, etc.......well I think that's more about what you want from a cruise as much as what you want as a solo traveler.

• 4 weeks later...

I must have not been subscribed to this and missed all the July posts. :confused:

traveled: I cannot scuba due to my ears (I have tried) I did enjoy snuba but 18-20 feet was my limit. I love to snorkel though and have done quite a bit in the Caribbean.

Scrapnana: Thanks for your input! I have done one 14 day cruise (back to back) and I cannot imagine ever being bored with all the activities on the ship. Being forced to have down time actually works very well for me.

I have contacted HAL several times, still waiting for the 30 day 2017 to be released. I see they have the 33 day one for 2017 and I am hoping the 30 day one isn't one they have discontinued. I have chosen the online TA from Seattle that I used last time. So wish me luck!

I guess it boils down to what you want as a solo passenger, and as a cruiser in general. From what I've seen and the people I've talked to aboard Crystal, my experience on board would have been almost the same if I had not been traveling solo; I certainly didn't notice any prejudice against solo travelers. As for whether there were enough things to do, people to meet, etc.......well I think that's more about what you want from a cruise as much as what you want as a solo traveler.

I think it may have to do with the mix of people. When I went solo cruising on Carnival and NCL there was a wide mix of people to meet. I always found some to talk to and even go to shows with.

On the other hand I just came back from Las Vegas as a solo traveler.

I HATE IT!

I am 57, I was surround by families, very young people who wanted to PARTY PARTY PARTY, or young couples who could only see each other and anyone in my age range was too busy gambling to spend any time talking to strangers.

Don't make the mistake that I just described the average cruise ship, on the cruise ships I always for interesting single people to talk to and even go to shows together.

My impression of the cruise lines mentioned above; is you will have a lot of older couples or singles who travel in tight groups. If you are very self-contained this will not be a problem, but is you are a out going person who wants to talk to people one-on-one there could be some problems.

Am I right or just blowing a lot of hot air?

Hi Earl, we are the same age and I have actually been thinking about

taking a trip to Vegas (solo)......wow, after reading your post.......

making me think twice.....I thought I would see a couple of different

Cirque shows......go to the Grand Canyon and find some other things

to do.....I don't plan on gambling the entire time.

How long were you there for?

I once did a 14N Caribbean as a solo. Only cruise of over 50 I could actually describe as snobby.Tight couples as written above, apt description. Not one person on whole cruise said hello to me. Staff was clueless and couldnt care less. I would reconsider 30 days as solo, different than a couple.

Edited by zoncom

I guess I must be of a different breed, I have always found people to hang with when I wanted, on land and cruise vacations. With the exception of one cruise, (my husband only went once), I have always had a friend go with me. I found that the roll calls provided me with some initial friendships, many I still have. I often go it alone on many trips or activities, even here in my hometown. This cruise would be the 1st one, that I will go on that I really don't know anyone with the exception of who I will communicate with on CC roll call.

I also don't consider solo cruisers as someone looking for a dance partner or "date". I am sure there are plenty of us out there, that are just happy doing our own thing but enjoy the company and friendship of others. I am 58 and found on all my cruises (all Holland America) that there were always a fair amount of singles, males and females, and that in the circle of people I was spending time with, they all melded right in. I think that friends (singles and married) travel together and probably for financial reasons...that darn single supplement!

Hi Just wanted to say HAL is still my favorite cruise line,and I always cruise solo(not by choice,but my friends,family don't want to cruise). I would go on HAL more but the last few years I have gotten much better rates on Carnival ships. I usually use a website with the words Cruise and Compete in them. I ask for quotes and usually get 5 or more quotes back. I usually end up going with a company that has cruises,the initial n,and more in the dot.com. I have a b2b Caribbean cruise on the Dream for 21 nights in October that will be my longest cruise. You will enjoy your long cruise a lot!

I was at a dance camp in Las Vegas in June. Since I was there, I made the best of it as a tourist, but outside the dance sessions, there was nobody except gamblers, I see no reason to go back on my own. Yes, there were some shows in the evening, but nothing that really interested me.

I did a 22-day TA on Costa last spring, I enjoyed it enough I'm doing it again next spring (OK, I included some time in Europe after). Friendly, cosmopolitan people, although I didn't really hit it off with anyone, staff were very helpful.

I have found some interesting and fun (non-gambling) things to do in Vegas when I've been solo, but I never met anyone, let alone chatted with anyone, like I might on a cruise ship. It is probably fine to spend an extra day or two there on your way to or from something (or added on to an event or conference), but unless you're happy being solo 24/7, I wouldn't recommend it.

Vegas being a little off topic but brought into the conversation...I go every year...husband likes to gamble, me, not so much. I do research, just like with a cruise and there is a wealth of things to do in and around Vegas! I did the Red Rock excursion one year, and this year will pack a 16 hr trip to the Grand Canyon in. There are many cultural things to do in Vegas too...you just have to plan, as you would for a cruise :)

My cruise line is pretty much limited to Holland (although I DO LOVE THEM) because of the itinerary I want and need to keep it at 30 days. I am still a working stiff and it is difficult to get 32 days off...even though I am my own boss. I always go a day ahead and stay a day late. If anyone has any other cruise lines that do a 30 day from San Diego or Western coast...I am all ears. The itinerary with Holland is very lovely though.

I might also add, that 3 to 4 days in Vegas is enough for me at one time :)

Edited by Bighorn Hockey Nut

Princess does a 30Ner SP (maybe 28?), 17 October. Seen on West Coast discount agencies at $2699 I am considering it..Out of LA RT.Also several Princess 15Ners RT out of CA.I think any cruiser will find a little more lively crowd on any of these.