Massages (and other onboard bookings)

Silver and Gold

My mother and I will be taking our first cruise in February from Auckland to Melbourne :) (On the Golden Princess). As Christmas is coming up, I was thinking about booking my mother one of the massages or facials as a Christmas present? Has anyone tried these? Are they recommended? Good value for money? Any specific onboard purchase that you would say is worthwhile? Or just save the money for when we are in Melbourne?

Many thanks for your tips and advice :)

This may be 'apples to oranges'; however, compared to what I've paid for massages at my resort in Bali, on board Spa prices are outrageously expensive. Plus, they're used as an opportunity to apply pressure (pun intended) to sell you a whole bunch very expensive 'products'.

This may be 'apples to oranges'; however, compared to what I've paid for massages at my resort in Bali, on board Spa prices are outrageously expensive. Plus, they're used as an opportunity to apply pressure (pun intended) to sell you a whole bunch very expensive 'products'.

Yes, I was concerned about this!!! (Things being outrageously priced).

I was told by a fellow cruiser on the Golden Princess that ITHO the massages were expensive and the sales pitch spoiled the massage for the Birthday Person.

I found lanyards, mugs, playing cards, teddy bears-several different types not just Captain Bear, there was a dark brown bear with some chocolate as well, but he didn't tempt me THIS time, I've taken the price and allowed for an increase and setting money aside for next November! I did pick up a very nice 2 top zips wallet-think in Calypso Cove and nearly fainted at the mid-3 figures price, but it WOULD have been EVER SO useful! I left it behind and the stock will probably have changed when I sail next year. I do know to start "squirrelling" money aside for a SPECIAL Cruise Memento Purchase-I won't be caught out again!

HTH.

I have a massage (or two ) on each cruise I go on. Whilst they are more expensive than land based spas it's up to you if you are happy to pay the cost.

I politely let them talk about the products used and if necessary ask for them to write them down for me, so I can think it over.

All the massages are nice but I like the coconut poultice one , smells divine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My mother and I will be taking our first cruise in February from Auckland to Melbourne :) (On the Golden Princess). As Christmas is coming up, I was thinking about booking my mother one of the massages or facials as a Christmas present? Has anyone tried these? Are they recommended? Good value for money? Any specific onboard purchase that you would say is worthwhile? Or just save the money for when we are in Melbourne?

Many thanks for your tips and advice :)

You don't have to accept the packages they're offering, you can ask for them to modify it to what you want. Last time I was on the Golden I asked for a 30 minutes shoulder and neck massage and it cost me $76. It's still pricey but cheaper than what they normally offer.

The massages are expensive, I've had several on previous cruises but not on our last couple of cruises. One thing that I've found to be successful is to write in big letters on the pre-massage form that you must complete that you will not buy products under any circumstances. That shuts down the hard sell at the end of the massage and you can leave feeling relaxed.

For many years I had massages and facials and occasionally had my hair done on cruises.

The prices in the 80's were more in line with land prices.

I don't do any of them any more. I got really tired of listening to sales pitches, from the masseuse and from the ladies as I checked out. I did buy some Elemis products once, and they were very good, but no better than I could have bought at home. I guess Steiner still controls the spas, and I don't think they use Elemis.

I get a massage and facial after I get home......cost less, and I feel like I'm still being pampered. As a retiree, I have to watch my money, but I especially love facials, so that's my splurge, and the massage just sort of goes with it!

I was told by a fellow cruiser on the Golden Princess that ITHO the massages were expensive and the sales pitch spoiled the massage for the Birthday Person.

I agree. I find the sales pitch at the end of the "treatment/massage" takes away the relaxed/blissful feeling you have at the end. I make an effort to request no sales pitches when booking, and remind who ever is giving me the treatment before we start (politely of course...)