Galapagos footwear

susan8231

Hello all -

I'm wondering what people are doing/have done for footwear during excursions. I had read elsewhere on CC that water sandals are good for wet and dry landings, but just saw at the SS gear shop a recommendation to have

aqua socks for the zodiac landings. Here's the link

http://www.shiptoshoretraveler.com/womens/hot/footwear/reefers-aqua-socks-women.aquasoxw.html

Not sure these look very suitable for anything more extensive than getting out of the zodiac?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments!

Hi Susan,

I use the aqua socks or beach shoes as I call them for swimming in areas with unsure /rocky surfaces. For the zodiac landings, I plan to wear waterproof sandals like these Keens. http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Clearwater-Sandal-Norse-Super/dp/B008J2819S/ref=sr_1_5?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1387575811&sr=1-5&keywords=keen+sandals+women They have rugged soles for excursions that include a lot of walking around the islands.

Wet landings in the Galapagos will be on sand and the idea of going barefoot and then putting sneakers on when ashore will work ... if you want to take the time to get all the wet sand off your feet before putting on your sneakers.

On our trip, just about everyone had a waterproof sandal. Teva (Amazon link) also makes a lot of sandals that would be suitable.

I bought some bright yellow shoes from Lands End that had good soles for walking but were mesh for the water to flow through. Due to a wasp problem yellow was not allowed on some islands (the containers to catch the invasive wasps are bright yellow). So then I went barefoot and put on my tennis shoes after the landing. The Lands End shoes were perfect except for the color (which I chose on purpose to be silly!).

Hi Susan

I've used those aqua socks before but in the Galapagos I wore my Teva sandals for wet & dry landings. The soles have excellent grip. I didn't want to take 2 pairs of shoes so the Tevas were brilliant, whether traipsing up a volcano or walking through the water.

U r going to love the Galapagos...have a great trip.

Cheers

Jennifer

The naturalists do indeed all wear crocs, but I find them atrocious. As the lady on "what not to wear" once said " if they were the only shoes, I would go barefooted or cut off my feet"

Edited by RachelG

The naturalists do indeed all wear crocs, but I find them atrocious. As the lady on "what not to wear" once said " if they were the only shoes, I would go barefooted or cut off my feet"

They completely are. But. For the right occasion they are comfortable, dry in a second and the blue footed boobies aren't going to care.

And the ladies on "what not to wear" wouln't approve of half of the rest of my wardrobe either. :D

to 5Waldos: I think we are going the week before you so I will gladly break in "the ladies on "what not to wear" folks with my comfortable but probably not acceptable wardrobe.

Have decided - it is crocs period. I hate traveling with multiple shoes - they take up too much space.

to 5Waldos: I think we are going the week before you so I will gladly break in "the ladies on "what not to wear" folks with my comfortable but probably not acceptable wardrobe.

Have decided - it is crocs period. I hate traveling with multiple shoes - they take up too much space.

So you must be going on Feb 8th? Wave as you leave the ship- I'll be the one in crocs and things not to wear.

I figure I am going to see blue footed boobies- perhaps I need a new pair of blue crocs for the occasion.

I guess i misinterpreted. we are going Feb 1 and before that to Machu Picchu. I promise we won't threaten Dior in anyway!. I will be there (with my crocs) and my son and daughter and who knows what they will have. Looking forward to this excursion a lot.

Edited by ppiew

• 3 months later...

Anyone who has gone on the Xpedition trip, are the wet landings on sand? I was originally under the impression that all landings were on lava rock, as so many people in the cruise reviews mentioned Tevas and Keens. Another said she just wore Croc sandals (which admittedly are a little more fashion-foreward than classic Crocs - I must agree with those above who are not too fond of them ;)), and then I read go barefoot and transfer to sneakers above. Any definitive descriptions of wet landings or further shoe suggestions?

I'll be taking the Galapagos cruise this July, and decided it was time to look into reviews/tips. I should have guessed that I'd need more than my typical excursion wear! I originally looked into waterproof Speedo FST sneakers which are designed for triathlon and drain water (figuring I wouldn't have to change into regular sneakers for further hiking), but if I'll be jumping into sand, I'd be too worried that I'd get a sneakerfull of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

On the north/central itinerary (you do realize this is Silversea and not Celebrity? S. Galapagos, not Xpedition) all our wet landings were onto sand. I did it barefoot then toweled off my sandy feet once onshore. The panga goes right into the beach so you are getting off in very shallow water. At most knee high and that is if you go off the side of the panga instead of near the front. I was concerned about shoefuls of sand, and then coating the outside of a wet shoe with sand. But you will see everything you described, and people who are in favor of each approach. I just happen to like sand in my feet, not in my shoes.

I wore water shoes for wet landings. My husband wore tevas. But my water shoes fit well enough not to get much sand in them and I had no problems. If doing much hiking, I took my hiking shoes and changed into them.

When we had water landings, I wore Keens and my husband wore Teva sandals, both the typical styles. I think if you plan on wearing your shoes during a water landing, the Tevas are better; I had a lot of trouble with sand getting stuck in the wet Keens, which was uncomfortable once we took off walking. Most water landings are fine to do barefoot, then towel off your feet and wear whatever is comfortable (and is sturdy and stable if you will be walking on lava).