Eastern Caribbean in December -rough seas?

dreday3

Is it true that the seas are a bit "rougher" when leaving out of Port Canaveral and traveling the Eastern route during December? I've been reading that it's more windy during the winter.

I thought we picked a good time for better weather, leaving 11/29 - end of hurricane season, but it seems I may have been wrong...

I know bad seas can hit anytime, but I just want to prepare myself if the seas are typically rougher during this time of year. And I'm trying not to freak myself out. :p

thanks!

There is absolutely NO WAY to predict what the seas will do..or what the weather might be!

There is typically no "rougher" time of year. It is what it is....just like anywhere!

Yes, I realize no one can predict the weather for a certain time of year, but if there are patterns... :)

I just thought perhaps it may be common knowledge to experienced cruisers if there are certain times of the year that are a little wilder than others - something I wouldn't know about. :)

Edited by dreday3

Weve crusied the first week of December in the Caribbean frequently...we only had one time I would call the ocean "rough". However, it is a windier time of year on the beaches on most islands and we've often found it cooler than other times of the year due to the breezes.

Weve crusied the first week of December in the Caribbean frequently...we only had one time I would call the ocean "rough". However, it is a windier time of year on the beaches on most islands and we've often found it cooler than other times of the year due to the breezes.

Thanks!

Cooler - was it still nice enough to go to the beaches?

I've never seen crystal blue water, I've actually never seen the ocean!!

It's a dream of mine to just walk in the water (literally, I dream sometimes that I'm almost at the beach, but something is always stopping me from getting to it).... - I don't need to swim even. I just really want to experience a real beach with blue, blue waters. :)

Is it warm enough to lay on beach?

Thanks!

It's a dream of mine to just walk in the water (literally, I dream sometimes that I'm almost at the beach, but something is always stopping me from getting to it).... - I don't need to swim even. I just really want to experience a real beach with blue, blue waters. :)

Pick any Caribbean island (St. Thomas, Antiqua, whatever). Google the average monthly temperatures. They're all in the 80's YEAR ROUND. There may be windy days, or rainy days, but it's warm all the time with rare exceptions. Do not worry about temps in the Caribbean any time of year.

For example: https://weatherspark.com/averages/33722/St-Thomas-VI-US-Virgin-Islands

On average, the coldest day of the year in St. Thomas, the average LOW at night is 73 degrees :)

Edited by bouhunter

We were on the 11/29 Oasis Eastern cruise and yes it was very rough especially like 12 hours after we left Nassau to St. Thomas. Probably a fluke but it's the same week you asked about so just telling you yes our week was. Coming back it wasn't nearly as bad. Many aqua shows were cancelled our week.

Most of our cruises have been pretty calm, but did have one in December with 10' waves for most of the cruise. Exception rather than the rule though - most seas for us have been 4-6' which doesn't affect large ships much. You will feed some motion crossing the Gulf Stream but it only lasts for a few hours.

You can look at sea conditions on the Weather Underground website. Cool and windy is VERY relative. Coming from Chicago you will find 80-85 degrees sweaty with light breezes and the slightly cooler water will be very comfortable. You will not believe the water color or visibility.

We usually cruise the first two weeks of December. You may have cool weather leaving PC but by the time you wake up the next morning it will be warm. :D Agree with familygoboston, it can be windy up on the pool decks.

We have had a handful of rough days at sea but overall smooth sailing.

As for the beaches, yep you will be able to swim and sun (weather provided). The weather is just one of those things that you can't do anything about so there is no point worrying about it. Enjoy!!!:)

I have cruised in December and I have noticed the seas are a little rougher and the winds. One day we could not use the pool because the winds were so high. The island weather was perfect. You can go to the beach and shopping and not feel you are suffocating.

We noticed the motion of the ocean on our Jan Eastern in the Freedom much more than the Summer Oasis western but I'm not sure it what of that factored to season, route, or ship. It was never so bad that any of us felt seasick though- just more noticeable.

Edited by usckatieh

Is it true that the seas are a bit "rougher" when leaving out of Port Canaveral and traveling the Eastern route during December? I've been reading that it's more windy during the winter.

I thought we picked a good time for better weather, leaving 11/29 - end of hurricane season, but it seems I may have been wrong...

I know bad seas can hit anytime, but I just want to prepare myself if the seas are typically rougher during this time of year. And I'm trying not to freak myself out. :p

thanks!

Thanks!

Over the years we've probably sailed from Port Canaveral at least once in every month. We've never noticed any major difference in the seas. With that said, weather conditions are an unknown.

In our experience the Caribbean beaches, in December, had been warm enough for sunbathing and usually the ocean is warm enough for swimming/snorkeling. Just be aware that again, the weather can change from week to week. We did a Back to Back cruise ( on two different cruises so we visited a few of the same places twice in two weeks.) The first week, the temperature was warm, but the water seemed a bit chilly. The second week, the temperature was the same but for some reason the water was much warmer.

Enjoy seeing the ocean

m

We have a decent cruise history. We have cruised quite a bit over Thanksgiving Weekend (end of November) and in the summer, then we have done it in February a couple of times....Caribbean weather will be warm mostly (hot in July); rain can happen. The summer is the 'rainy season' and of course there is always the possibility of hurricanes from June 1 to Nov1. A ship can sail to avoid the bad weather of a hurricane and cruise lines do change itineraries to minimize bad weather whenever possible. Rough seas are less of a problem than most people should worry about, because the Captain does try to avoid them whenever possible.

During the winter months.....Dec to March -- weather will be upper 70's to low 80's....a much better temp than many places people will be escaping from such as Canada, Boston or Chicago (just examples). There will be balmy breezes.....in the summer there are balmy breezes that are simply warmer.

So I say......take the cruise that fits your schedule. The weather will be what it will be.....but 95% of the time, the weather will have NO negative bearing on your overall cruise.

Can weather cause cancellations of shore excurions -- sure. If it is too windy, parasailing and other things are unsafe and you want them to be cancelled. Would I worry about it in advance....absolutely not.

I have another cruise booked for the end of November 2015.....I expect it to be wonderful.

Thanks!

I know how you feel! Although I had been to Hawaii and live in Seattle, surrounded by water and mountains, I had dreamed since I was a little girl of walking into the ocean in Aruba. My first Caribbean cruise went to Aruba and it didn't disappoint!

Some day, plan a Caribbean cruise around April/May - it's always a good day, weatherwise. It's just heaven to me, being on a Caribbean beach. You'll love it! Be sure to go to Megans Bay beach in St. Thomas - heaven!

We cruise in early December almost every year and have so far not hit any rough water--we're talking 10 or so cruises in this area. It can be a little cool the first day or so, but we're talking 65-70 instead of 85. Still pretty good by Nebraska standards in the winter!

Of course, weather cannot be predicted and it is possible to hit a colder, windier rougher cruise, at any time.