wifi prices - again.

turtlemichael

“SILVER PACKAGE”: Two hours for $19.95

“GOLD PACKAGE”: Three hours for $29.95

“PLATINUM PACKAGE”: Four hours for $39.95

“DIAMOND PACKAGE”: 7 day unlimited access $239.95

“DIAMOND PACKAGE EXTENDED”: For cruises of more than 7 days, unlimited access $399.95

If you only want to log on, download, respond to emails etc you could probably get by with a couple Platinum Packages. (Depending on which Seabourn Club Category you are you may have an entitlement anyway, which each person can take up). But remember to log off! If you want to spend time "surfing", staying online whilst replying to emails etc, then the Diamond Package is better.

How fast is the wifi? Most ships are painfully slow. But I heard the new RCL is 4G speed. I have been on some ships and just gave up and used a mifi when we got close to shore. I ended up with several other passengers using my mifi I rented for the trip.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

How fast is the wifi? Most ships are painfully slow. But I heard the new RCL is 4G speed. I have been on some ships and just gave up and used a mifi when we got close to shore. I ended up with several other passengers using my mifi I rented for the trip.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Like most other ships its slow and unreliable. Some cruises people get OK speeds, others little to no connectivity combined with speeds that probably make a 300 baud modem seem fast. Hopefully Seabourn will be upgrading their connection soon.

I find that I travel on a ship for lots of other reasons other than worrying about the wifi speed.

I have never had a problem with emails or the net when I need it on any ship.

Funny how the little things in life worry the hell out of people.

Depending on how accessible you need to be, you may want to buy complete package and then no worries. Recrntly returned and still slow, but had several port days and was able to catch up yhat way. I am more anxious not checking in than if I go through emails regularly. Type A personalities need the full internet package.

And the 'Diamond Package Extended' is a perfect use for a $400 Referral Coupon OBC!

Biggest problem we found was a number of ladies Skypeing their grandchildren before bed-time (USA) which played havoc with the available bandwidth. Not a big problem, we just went online at other times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All this makes me wonder however did we survive for so long without the ability to instantly communicate with others across the globe.

Of course this is just the 21st century answer to the Titanics telegraph.;)

We (and/or our parents) were not able to take more than two week vacations. For those of us with work responsibilities, we can travel several weeks a year so long as we are now able to communicate with our offices and clients.

Edited by Pop-I

All this makes me wonder however did we survive for so long without the ability to instantly communicate with others across the globe.

Of course this is just the 21st century answer to the Titanics telegraph.;)

Ah, yes. I think about this all the time. On the whole, I think it's all a good thing. This has brought lots of improvements and enrichment to my life, and it has indeed made world travel much, much easier. But there are certain costs, including way too much time wasted on Cruise Critic!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are thinking if taking a 21 day med cruise this summer. In order to be gone this long it is critical for us to stay connected. Is the diamond Internet package pricing per device or per suite? Does it cover multiple devices? Or do we each have to buy the package?

Standard disclaimer - there's no guarantee of internet service or that when service is available it'll have a big enough pipe for whatever needs to be done.

That being said I've had no problems connecting multiple devices with a single package. Further if I was logged in on both devices they had zero problems deducting the minutes.

My understanding is you can use it for multiple devices but only use one at a time.

This is our experience.

Unfortunately, due to business reasons, we can't be out of internet contact for too long, so we buy one Diamond Package.

When I'm in the suite working on the laptop, if my husband is out by the pool and wants to connect using his tablet, he can connect, but it disconnects my session. And vice versea.

We did find a workaround for the last cruise though - I cruised solo ;)

If we both want to work at the same time, we would need to buy a package for each of us.

This is our experience.

Unfortunately, due to business reasons, we can't be out of internet contact for too long, so we buy one Diamond Package.

When I'm in the suite working on the laptop, if my husband is out by the pool and wants to connect using his tablet, he can connect, but it disconnects my session. And vice versea.

We did find a workaround for the last cruise though - I cruised solo ;)

If we both want to work at the same time, we would need to buy a package for each of us.

I think its up to three devices but as said, only one at a time.

Its been two years since we were on Seabourn and have an New England trip planned this year. You then had to go to deck 7, wait in line and sign-up for internet. We need two accounts due to the wife will be on hers device some ware on the ship an I will need to log-on without knowing if she is still log-in. So question is do you still need to go to deck 7 when you arrive, or can you now just sign-up on your device in your room (like Silversea)?