Booked but Unsure

qsuzi

Started cruising in 1991, sailing Princess 11 times but not since May 2010. Slowly our loyalty to Princess as our favorite line faded and we became loyal to Royal Caribbean and also sail other cruise lines. We have booked a January 2015 cruise with Princess and would like some feedback from those who have cruised Princess more recently. Thank you.

Edited by qsuzi

What is it that you like the best about Princess? Not interested in food comments since food is subjective and IMHO is not as good overall on any cruise line as it was years ago. What venues are your favorite? (for us we loved the atrium.). How is entertainment and have any perks been added to the loyalty program recently? Anything else new or improved overall?

We enjoy the Atrium and the intermittent entertainment there as well as the IC. We have cruised on several HAL ships and a few RCCL and I find more ways to entertain myself on Princess. I can't comment on the changes in the loyalty program as we have only been with Princess for about three years. I will say we are receiving more perks as Platinum on Princess than we did on HAL in that program.

We greatly enjoy the international cafe with snacks always available, Adagio and Skywalkers for quiet places to read, play cards and watch the world during sea days, LOVE the laundry for longer cruises, and as Platinum we get free internet time, which is very useful. Had a lovely time on the Crown when we sailed to Iceland/Norway - something special watching MUTTS under a blanket while on the North Sea. :). Lots of places to get away and have quiet times (ah- Wheelhouse Bar with an adult beverage!), and of course, Trivia is fun and a nice way to meet people. We sailed Celebrity as a comparison last spring - thoroughly enjoyed the experience and came back to Princess. If the price and itinerary looks good, go for it and have a lovely cruise.

Edited by LoriPhil

What is it that you like the best about Princess? Not interested in food comments since food is subjective and IMHO is not as good overall on any cruise line as it was years ago. What venues are your favorite? (for us we loved the atrium.). How is entertainment and have any perks been added to the loyalty program recently? Anything else new or improved overall?

Aren't our comments on venues, entertainment, etc also subjective?

We greatly enjoy the international cafe with snacks always available, Adagio and Skywalkers for quiet places to read, play cards and watch the world during sea days, LOVE the laundry for longer cruises, and as Platinum we get free internet time, which is very useful. Had a lovely time on the Crown when we sailed to Iceland/Norway - something special watching MUTTS under a blanket while on the North Sea. :). Lots of places to get away and have quiet times (ah- Wheelhouse Bar with an adult beverage!), and of course, Trivia is fun and a nice way to meet people. We sailed Celebrity as a comparison last spring - thoroughly enjoyed the experience and came back to Princess. If the price and itinerary looks good, go for it and have a lovely cruise.

Spot on!!!!!

Paul is right. Our opinions are pretty useless. :) The only way you'll know for sure whether Princess is a good fit is to try Princess yourself. There's really not much to disappoint because, like the other lines you're soon to sail, Princess tries hard to please; it's just all a matter of whether the experience is what you prefer over other experiences. Go and find out. And please come back and tell us what you thought. I would be very interested in your perspective.

Aren't our comments on venues, entertainment, etc also subjective?

:D Well now that you mention it. BUT to me it is much more so with food and I find comments about venues and entertainment helpful so thank you to those who provided them.

Dorisis, We are booked on the Crown (grand class) and it will be our first time on her but have been on her sister ships the Caribbean, Emerald x2, Goldenx3, Sapphire, and Starx2. We have also been on the Sky and Dawn.

Edited by qsuzi

I see you have several HAL cruises booked. We have been on some of those ships. No comparison to Princess.

An example. You will be on the Veendam(I sailed on this ship), really old and small. Theatre is like nightclub sitting. I liked my cruise but

Princess ships, have much more activities, more beautiful. Food is very similar.Have been on all the Princess ships except the Regal. There is activities, entertainment in the evening. On HAL except for the show and piano bar, really nothing happening.

Just read your post above. I see you have been on lots of Princess ships. So you are aware of how they look and feel. Really not much has changed since your last cruise on Princess in 2010.

We also cruise HAL to break things up and the convenience of sailing out of San Diego. A quieter experience but still nice.

Edited by san diego sue

I see you have several HAL cruises booked. We have been on some of those ships. No comparison to Princess.

An example. You will be on the Veendam(I sailed on this ship), really old and small. Theatre is like nightclub sitting. I liked my cruise but

Princess ships, have much more activities, more beautiful. Food is very similar.Have been on all the Princess ships except the Regal. There is activities, entertainment in the evening. On HAL except for the show and piano bar, really nothing happening.

That you for your comments Sue. I am prepared for fewer activities and like to sail on more than one class of ship per cruise line to discover pros and cons of each. One of the things that attracts me to HAL is the more traditional type of cruising, teak decks, and yes a return to small ships - a needed break. While both ships we are booked on have had refurbishments, I am expecting a different feel - we shall see. I am going to miss those perks I've earned on Princess and other lines - that is a con about trying a different cruise line.

Edited by qsuzi

We did sort of the same thing, sailed Princess a lot and then went out and tried a bunch of different cruise lines and just recently came back to Princess. A couple of perks / things added since I last sailed Princess -

International Cafe - perfect to keep that afternoon meal a little on the lighter side after all the heavy dining you do on board.

MUTS - it's another option for your evening entertainment and fun during the day as well - especially for spirt fans.

Internet minutes for platinum and above

I haven't sailed HAL, but I've sailed Princess, Royal, Carnival and NCL and I have to say I prefer the service on Princess. There can always be that one person surly person that you know needs an attitude adjustment, but overall, I like the Princess staff for friendliness, just the right amount of making you feel special and add the teensiest amount of flirtation. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is it that you like the best about Princess? Not interested in food comments since food is subjective and IMHO is not as good overall on any cruise line as it was years ago....

It is good that you realize that food isn't of the quality it once was on any of the mainstream lines these days. I think that is perhaps the biggest surprise to those who haven't cruised in awhile. If you pick-and-choose, though, you can still dine well on Princess.

IMO, the big production shows aren't what they once were, either. There are fewer live musicians, and more pre-recorded music these days. Princess has also cut the length of its shows, IIRC. There was a pianist onboard, as well as a mariachi band in both the IC and lounges on a recent sailing on the Golden, which were a nice touch.

As far as loyalty programs, Princess may have added the Ruby level between Gold and Platinum since you sailed last. IIRC, the main benefit is a free upgrade if you purchase Princess Protection insurance from the basic level to the premium one.

I find that onboard activities such as trivia games, etc., vary from ship to ship even within a line depending on the CD and his/her staff. This hasn't really changed over time.

I prefer the smaller ships myself, but for what these days are medium-size ships, I think you can't beat the Princess Grand class.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

I had commented on one of the ship's you booked with Hal (The Veendam).

Forgot to mention it has the best Promenade deck ever. Made friends just walking around the deck. We had a Lanai cabin that opened to the Promenade and it was incredible. Loved it. HAL has absolutely free lectures sponsored by Microsoft. My husband really enjoys going to them on the HAL ships.

I had commented on one of the ship's you booked with Hal (The Veendam).

Forgot to mention it has the best Promenade deck ever. Made friends just walking around the deck. We had a Lanai cabin that opened to the Promenade and it was incredible. Loved it. HAL has absolutely free lectures sponsored by Microsoft. My husband really enjoys going to them on the HAL ships.

Sue, that is one of the things we especially liked - the Promenade deck and and the type of neighborliness it produces. We have experienced all the production shows, ice skating, super large, large, and medium size ships and all they offer but just want to take a longer break and get back to "tradition" and "people relationships". We have met and continue to correspond with some special people we have met on other cruise lines but just want to have the HAL experience because it fits our personal values at this time.

Edited by qsuzi