A couple of dining tips for Getaway/Breakaway

kay1864

Just got back from 7-day on the Getaway:

- O'Sheehan's is excellent for lunch on departure day. Very few diners (I think everyone was at the buffet), so we got great service, and a no-charge sit-down meal that was very well-prepared. The salmon fillet on the Caesar salad was consistently flavorful and perfectly grilled (we ended up eating lunch there almost every day).

- Skip the lobster roll from the walk-up window at Ocean Blue on sea days ($11.50 with the required tip). Half the size of a normal lobster roll, and more bread than lobster. Plus you have to eat outside, downwind from the cigar bar. Instead, splurge on dinner at Le Bistro ($25 including tip for the entire meal with SDP) where cold water lobster is on the menu. The lobster portion is huge--my daughter couldn't finish it.

- Speaking of SDP, many specialty restaurant waiters are still uninformed, and will tell you that you can get only one appetizer and one dessert. Not true (although you are limited to one entree, and will incur a surcharge if you order two). I sometimes ordered two appetizers or desserts, and when told we could get only one, asked them to check with the manager. The bill total always came to $0.00.

- If you like Eggs Benedict, breakfast in Taste/Savor prepares them near-perfectly. The ones in the breakfast buffet are pretty good too, but the sit-down version is excellent.

Edited by kay1864

Just off getaway on Saturday night went for prime rib at osheehans was the best meal of the the whole cruise and it was free and we had the dining package and went to teppiaki ,the Brazilian steak house (don't recomend) and cagneys .

Just off getaway on Saturday night went for prime rib at osheehans was the best meal of the the whole cruise and it was free and we had the dining package and went to teppiaki ,the Brazilian steak house (don't recomend) and cagneys .

What night did they have prime rib?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just got back from 7-day on the Getaway:

- O'Sheehan's is excellent for lunch on departure day. Very few diners (I think everyone was at the buffet), so we got great service, and a no-charge sit-down meal that was very well-prepared. The salmon fillet on the Caesar salad was consistently flavorful and perfectly grilled (we ended up eating lunch there almost every day).

- Skip the lobster roll from the walk-up window at Ocean Blue on sea days ($11.50 with the required tip). Half the size of a normal lobster roll, and more bread than lobster. Plus you have to eat outside, downwind from the cigar bar. Instead, splurge on dinner at Le Bistro ($25 including tip for the entire meal with SDP) where cold water lobster is on the menu. The lobster portion is huge--my daughter couldn't finish it.

- Speaking of SDP, many specialty restaurant waiters are still uninformed, and will tell you that you can get only one appetizer and one dessert. Not true (although you are limited to one entree, and will incur a surcharge if you order two). I sometimes ordered two appetizers or desserts, and when told we could get only one, asked them to check with the manager. The bill total always came to $0.00.

- If you like Eggs Benedict, breakfast in Taste/Savor prepares them near-perfectly. The ones in the breakfast buffet are pretty good too, but the sit-down version is excellent.

good tips- I would add that Flamingo Grill is also a good option for embarkation lunch.

What would the lobster dinner cost with out the SDP?

We're leaving Sunday.

Thanks.

Included as one of the entrees in Le Bistro. No extra charge if you have SDP.

Oh sorry, I just realized you said "without". I think it was 24.95 but I can't be sure.

Okay, found the menu here: http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/cr_207_bistro.jpg

24.99, but that's only for the entree; for a la carte appetizers and dessert are extra.

Really for the price the SDP is the way to go, even if only 3 or 4 nights.

Edited by kay1864

What night did they have prime rib?

Saturday, from 530-830 in O'Sheehan's. We opted for NY Strip in the MDR (which was excellent), as DD prefers steak over prime rib. Beef Wellington was served in the MDR on Friday night, which was also very good. Edited by kay1864

good tips- I would add that Flamingo Grill is also a good option for embarkation lunch.

Pretty good lunch options (although far fewer), and it's not table service like O'Sheehan's.

Plus it can be warm and humid since it's open-air (but covered). After a long morning waiting in line to check in, we preferred the A/C of O'Sheehan's.

O'Sheehan's if you want to pretend you aren't on a ship. If you want to enjoy the views and such, hit the crowded buffet or Flamingo Grill, which has loads of options in a mini buffet of Cuban food.

Did you try this at Ocean Blue?

Did you try this at Ocean Blue?

No, didn't want to pay the Ocean Blue surcharge. Had excellent meals at Le Bistro (twice), Cagney's, and very good meal at La Cucina.

But I imagine the same SDP Terms and Conditions apply to Ocean Blue, so you should be able to get extra appetizers and desserts there as well.

Edited by kay1864

One other thing..."business casual" is needed ONLY for Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. Despite what I read here, shorts were fine in the evening in the MDR, Cagney's, and La Cucina. Just no swimwear or tank tops.

I can't speak for Getaway/Breakaway (we don't said until September with our two kids... 2 and 8 months... on Breakaway) but we took our oldest daughter on the Dawn last year when she had just turned 1 and ate dinner in a specialty restaurant every night. La Cucina, Moderno, Cagney's, Le Bistro... I wouldn't do Le Bistro again with my kids just because it really wasn't the best environment for them (a little dark and quieter than the others) but we didn't have problems taking her to any of them. And most of the staff seemed happy to have her and interacted quite pleasantly with her!

I can't speak for Getaway/Breakaway (we don't said until September with our two kids... 2 and 8 months... on Breakaway) but we took our oldest daughter on the Dawn last year when she had just turned 1 and ate dinner in a specialty restaurant every night. La Cucina, Moderno, Cagney's, Le Bistro... I wouldn't do Le Bistro again with my kids just because it really wasn't the best environment for them (a little dark and quieter than the others) but we didn't have problems taking her to any of them. And most of the staff seemed happy to have her and interacted quite pleasantly with her!

Completely agree! Last year we had kids in Le Bistro and it was very uncomfortable for them. Both last year and this year we had them in Moderno and Cagney's and there were no problems. It wasn't dark and quiet like in Le Bistro.

Did you cruise with your child?

Yes; she's 12 so she enjoyed the adult entrees.

See many children in the specialty restaurants?
I saw a few in Cagney's (large groups), but not many. None that I recall in Le Bistro or La Cucina. The ones in Cagney's were tweens and above, and well-behaved.

We too were on this sailing of the Getaway. Myself , DH and 2 boys 13 & 15

had the SDP.

Moderno was ok - food was plentiful but not very tasty. This was our boys pick because they love their meat and they were not impressed, better cuts of meat and tastier at chain restaurants at home.

Ocean Blue - paid the upcharge and totally NOT worth it. Food was ok at best. Very DISAPPOINTED. Should have paid for sushi instead.

Teppanyaki - best one!! food great and so was the entertainment!!!

O'Sheehans - had lunch only - favorite spot for lunch after excursions

Flamingo Grill - ok basic cuban food buffet style

Haven Restaurant - ate dinner here 3 nights and delicious every time!

Illusionarium - pre fixed menu of shrimp and filet was fine, nothing to write home about.

We too were on this sailing of the Getaway. Myself , DH and 2 boys 13 & 15

had the SDP.

Moderno was ok - food was plentiful but not very tasty. This was our boys pick because they love their meat and they were not impressed, better cuts of meat and tastier at chain restaurants at home.

Ocean Blue - paid the upcharge and totally NOT worth it. Food was ok at best. Very DISAPPOINTED. Should have paid for sushi instead.

Teppanyaki - best one!! food great and so was the entertainment!!!

O'Sheehans - had lunch only - favorite spot for lunch after excursions

Flamingo Grill - ok basic cuban food buffet style

Haven Restaurant - ate dinner here 3 nights and delicious every time!

Illusionarium - pre fixed menu of shrimp and filet was fine, nothing to write home about.

All accept SDP without an up charge?

Which one offers lobster?

Any crab legs?

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'

I had heard good things about the lobster roll. I was looking forward to a quiet lunch on the waterfront. I'll probably still go get one. I have to have a little lobster to make it an official vacation.

We always go for the Lobster Roll on Sea Days.....can't get it anywhere in our state so the price is worth it to us. My DH doesn't order regular Lobster dishes but he enjoys the Lobster Rolls.

We have never been bothered by the smokers, guess it depends on the cruise. They will pack it 'to go' so you can take it anywhere to enjoy if you can't find a good spot to sit on the waterfront. We always see several ships officers lining up to get them too!

We always go for the Lobster Roll on Sea Days.....can't get it anywhere in our state so the price is worth it to us. My DH doesn't order regular Lobster dishes but he enjoys the Lobster Rolls.

We have never been bothered by the smokers, guess it depends on the cruise. They will pack it 'to go' so you can take it anywhere to enjoy if you can't find a good spot to sit on the waterfront. We always see several ships officers lining up to get them too!

Thats what I was pumped to do. Nothing says vacation like sitting waterside with a lobster roll and some good seafood in general.

My DF doesnt do seafood so I was going to sneak off and enjoy a private roll haha.

It's only available on sea days? so that would be the day we leave, and days until we get to bermuda, and then again on the way back?

I'm back on for the lobster roll!