RT Newark to Barcelona option help?

eigig

Hi

I am considering my choices for air (Newark-Barcelona) for next July. I have limited my choices to 2

1. Nonstop EWR BCN Depart and nonstop BCN EWR return ($1778 United). No problem with departure but return is at 10:45 am and I have been warned on this site not to attempt an early flight post cruise.

2. Same departure nonstop to BCN and 11:55 am return with a connection in Toronto (also United but operated by Air Canada for the return). Price here is $1493.

I am figuring there has to be some good reason why the nonstop both ways is $245 more than the one stop. Planes are 757-200 (nonstops) 767-300 (Air Canada return).

Also the connect time is 1 hour 55 minutes but there is another longer connect time available at the same price (3 hours 55 minutes).

I am sold on the nonstop departure but am unsure about the return timewise. I would hate to miss the early return flight and end up connecting in Toronto AND paying the $245 extra. Any suggestions? Thanks

On the first option, you can of course always spend 1 night at an airport hotel and then ease off the day and catch the flight the next day.

There is no reasonable explanation about how airlines price their tickets, but often direct flights turn out to be more expensive then flights with a stop.

I've never been to Toronto, so I can't really tell you about the 1.55 hour connecting time. But from previous experiences at other airports, I think this should be sufficient.

Hi

I am sold on the nonstop departure but am unsure about the return timewise. I would hate to miss the early return flight and end up connecting in Toronto AND paying the $245 extra. Any suggestions? Thanks

If you missed your earlier flight and it was your fault, you could end up having your entire ticket cancelled. Or, you could be charged a change fee ($250) plus the refare for whatever this ticket cost that day, which could be much higher than $245 extra.

When questions like this are asked, it's always helpful to know your exact travel dates, and what time your ship is scheduled to arrive in port.

If you missed your earlier flight and it was your fault, you could end up having your entire ticket cancelled. Or, you could be charged a change fee ($250) plus the refare for whatever this ticket cost that day, which could be much higher than $245 extra.

When questions like this are asked, it's always helpful to know your exact travel dates, and what time your ship is scheduled to arrive in port.

I am departing Newark july 5, 2013, arrive Barcelona july 6, morning. will spend the night there and sightsee one day before my cruise (NCL Epic) departs july 7 for seven nights RT Barcelona. The ship is due to dock at 6 am I think and I can easily get off with my own luggage -- I travel solo and have been to Europe many times with just a carryon (though I always check it to avoid the hassle). I can catch a cab to the airport pretty early I guess.

HOWEVER, if the connection in Toronto is not toooo terrible I am willing to put up with it if it means I don't have to stress about making my plane at 10:55. I originally planned for an AA plane to JFK at 10 and totally reconsidered that plan.

So what about Toronto? Is 1 hr 55 minutes enough to connect or should I go for the longer wait time? Can you change your mind without huge fees? also the nonstop is still looking good to me.

Ah where is my crystal ball when I need it?

I am figuring there has to be some good reason why the nonstop both ways is $245 more than the one stop.
Because non-stops are faster and less hassle.

So they are more attractive to passengers.

So there is more demand for them.

So by the most basic law of economics, the price is higher.

Because non-stops are faster and less hassle.

So they are more attractive to passengers.

So there is more demand for them.

So by the most basic law of economics, the price is higher.

:) yes I think I generally got that idea and should have used emoticons to make that clearer. but thanks.

My concern mainly is making the nonstop more expensive flight which is leaving earlier.

I am wondering if I decide not to risk the nonstop no hassle flight then how much more of a hassle will it be to change in Toronto. one way or another it is a hassle. I am a time urgent person and just want to reduce my hassle factor.

That is why I asked if there was some major downside to the 767-300 air canada flight that would push me over the edge to nonstopville.

thanks again and have a good evening

This might be a little early to get the best airfares and those EWR fares do seem high. Have you considered making your way over to JFK where you can save about $600 per person (current fares).

Hank

Hi

Thanks for the info on the timing. I think I will watch it a little bit and see if EWR comes down. EWR is so convenient for me and every time I convince myself to take the cheaper fare from JFK I am kicking myself! So, I guess I have decided to do EWR.

Apart from the fares, which I am willing to pay for the convenience factor (I won't pass up a bargain though :)), I am worried about the time factor for the most expensive --least hassle-- which I prefer.

Alternately, would it be a terrible hassle to connect in Toronto if I HAD to.

Thanks

One twist on the connection in Toronto is that you will have to go through customs and immigration for going in the US in Toronto (you pre-clear US customs in Toronto and then land in Newark like a domestic flight). That can delay you but the airline will accommodate you if you cannot make the connection they set for you. There are a lot of Toronto to Newark flights with UA/AC and you would just have to go on a later flight.

Once inside departures in Toronto there are a lot of shops and restaurants so if you are stuck waiting it is not so bad.

Finally, the Toronto to Barcelona 767 has, at least recently, been an economy only flight. Not sure why but there is no business class and just a couple of rows of economy plus type seating.

On the first option, you can of course always spend 1 night at an airport hotel and then ease off the day and catch the flight the next day.

There is no reasonable explanation about how airlines price their tickets, but often direct flights turn out to be more expensive then flights with a stop.

I've never been to Toronto, so I can't really tell you about the 1.55 hour connecting time. But from previous experiences at other airports, I think this should be sufficient.

That is what I would do, I love nonstop.

One twist on the connection in Toronto is that you will have to go through customs and immigration for going in the US in Toronto (you pre-clear US customs in Toronto and then land in Newark like a domestic flight). That can delay you but the airline will accommodate you if you cannot make the connection they set for you. There are a lot of Toronto to Newark flights with UA/AC and you would just have to go on a later flight.

Once inside departures in Toronto there are a lot of shops and restaurants so if you are stuck waiting it is not so bad.

Finally, the Toronto to Barcelona 767 has, at least recently, been an economy only flight. Not sure why but there is no business class and just a couple of rows of economy plus type seating.

Thanks for your help and the information I was looking for re: toronto connections.

I am departing Newark july 5, 2013, arrive Barcelona july 6, morning. will spend the night there and sightsee one day before my cruise (NCL Epic) departs july 7 for seven nights RT Barcelona. The ship is due to dock at 6 am I think and I can easily get off with my own luggage -- I travel solo and have been to Europe many times with just a carryon (though I always check it to avoid the hassle). I can catch a cab to the airport pretty early I guess.

HOWEVER, if the connection in Toronto is not toooo terrible I am willing to put up with it if it means I don't have to stress about making my plane at 10:55. I originally planned for an AA plane to JFK at 10 and totally reconsidered that plan.

So what about Toronto? Is 1 hr 55 minutes enough to connect or should I go for the longer wait time? Can you change your mind without huge fees? also the nonstop is still looking good to me.

Ah where is my crystal ball when I need it?

I connected in Toronto a few years ago. It was a very smooth connection.

I even had to change terminals, and it was quick on the tram. I think by

the time I got my luggage, went through passport control and checked in

to my flight to Rome. It was about a half hour. Then I had to sit there

for about 7 hours, oh well. But all in all, Toronto is an easy airport.

I connected in Toronto a few years ago. It was a very smooth connection.

I even had to change terminals, and it was quick on the tram. I think by

the time I got my luggage, went through passport control and checked in

to my flight to Rome. It was about a half hour. Then I had to sit there

for about 7 hours, oh well. But all in all, Toronto is an easy airport.

Thanks for this information. I am definitely taking the nonstop Newark to Barcelona flight the day before my cruise so that I arrive in one piece and early and a day before!

the later departure of the one stop (Toronto) flight means less stress in worrying about making the flight and as a bonus it means $300 savings. I think I might try my first nonstop on the way home.

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful response. happy and safe travels.

I had a friend fly via Toronto from Europe to the US with a 4 hour connection in the summer and he almost missed his connecting flight. I never suggest that people fly from Europe to the US via Canada since the dual immigration/customs issue is too much of an unknown. With United and their Star Alliance partners, I can't believe that your only two options are the two you mentioned. I am sure there would be other options but I didn't check. In any case I would probably allow for more time in YYZ and leave 3-4 hours there. As was said, if you are stuck waiting it is not so bad. But if you book 2 hours and needed 2 hours 5 minutes, thus missing your flight, it will be very stressful.

I connected in Toronto a few years ago. It was a very smooth connection. I even had to change terminals, and it was quick on the tram. I think by the time I got my luggage, went through passport control and checked in to my flight to Rome. It was about a half hour. Then I had to sit there for about 7 hours, oh well. But all in all, Toronto is an easy airport.

VASTLY different situation than what the issue is for this thread. Yours was outbound from North America. That only involves some very easy formalities. Coming into North America, you would have to do TWO full customs & immigration processes, plus transferring baggage yourself (so as to get to the USA ICE).

Wow these are all great points!

I guess it sounded too good to be true. There has to be a good reason why United is charging $300 more for the nonstop.

I really thank all the people on this board for giving me their opinions and sharing their experiences. I now think that I would rather chance an earlier departure (10:45 I think) than chance the Air Canada hassles.

Again, my thanks to each of you for your suggestions.

Archived