Snorkeling: St Thomas vs Grand Turk vs Amber Cove vs San Juan

frisbeewife

I couldn't decide which forum to put this in, so I settled on St. Thomas for now.

We'll be cruising in October and DH wants to go snorkeling at least once. Usually I would go too, but I've had both knees replaced and snorkeling isn't on my menu yet. Anyway, the choices are St. Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan, or Amber Cove. Which location has the best snorkeling? He grew up on a sailboat in the Virgin Islands so he's a very experienced snorkeler. We have no problem booking a trip from a boat so it doesn't have to be off-the-beach, just nice coral and fish.

BTW, he said he doesn't really want to go to St. John to snorkel because he remembers what it was like 50 years ago and couldn't stand to go there now with the crowds. But if that's the only location with decent snorkeling then that's what he'll have to do.

Thanks!

I would pick St Thomas. Snorkeling from the beach at either Coki or Saphire. Also there are some very nice charters that go to St Johns to snorkel.

We snorkeled at Grand Turk. It was ok, but not impressive. Used bluewater divers. They do take u to the wall so u can see the huge drop off.

Coki in St Thomas is busy, but a lot of smaller colorful fish from what i remember. Been a while.

We haven't been to Amber cove, and we haven't found any great snorkel spots near port in San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...

If he wants to stay away from the crowds, try a catamaran tour. If you are able to get in the water, they usually have pool noodles so you could float around a little bit and enjoy the water too and maybe see some fish at the same time. I would probably say St Thomas as well for the best snorkeling of those options. I love sitting on the net of the catamarans and just enjoying the moment and scenery!

I would take a tour if you find one. Snorkel off a boats is a little better.

If you want to go off the beach Coki is not bad. You had mentioned St John's and crowds.

I have to say I am surprised by that comment. We have been to St Johns 4 times to Snorkel and the crowds were never that great. In fact the Snorkel is good a Cinnamon Bay and there is usually less than 200 people on the whole beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I can jump in here I recommend st John at trunk or cinnamon at far right of beach. Also at grand Turk white sands 3 stop combo tour. One of the best days we had. Snorkeling and sting rays. It was on the same trip as our captain Bob cass in st Martin and my 4 teenagers and my husband and I loved the grand Turk excursion so much better. The guide went in the water with us to show us a nurse shark and so many other things. We've been snorkeling for a long time all over the carribean and that was definitely up there in the top ten.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I agree with OCruisers. Puerto Ricans come to the Virgin Islands to snorkel!
Not really... While snorkeling anywhere in San Juan/Condado/Isla Verde will most likely be very dissapointing (Condado lagoon being maybe an exception), there are more than enough great snorkeling spots in PR to satisfy anyone (just not easily accessible to short cruise stops). From pristine beaches and cays in Culebra to lesser know snorkeling spost like Peña Blanca in Aguadilla (see below). Puerto Ricans vacation in the Virgin Islands for lots of reasons. Most stop by on cruises and go to the beach and some even snorkel beacuse, well....we live in the Caribbean. Beaches are what we do!! Sure, Coki beach in St. Thomas rock because fish come and eat from your hand (if you know the trick). Snorkeling between the Pitons in St. Lucia is breathtaking on itself. Turtles in Barbados? Please... We got 'em! And yes I did pay to see them when I visited. Not because it can't be done in PR but because you do it in a different, "exotic" setting. Those Puerto Ricans that say there are no good snorkel spots in PR are just too lazy to look for them.

I did Snorkel at Coki and Sapphire and overall had a better experience at Coki. We're planning on returning and snorkel again on our next cruise as well as to St. Lucia (using Spencer Ambrose's new Snorkel adventure tour), St. Kitts (most likely Shipwreck beach). We're looking for an alternate beach for Barbados (done Carlisle beach and Boatyard) and St. Maarten (not really snorkeled there).

Snorkeling at Peña Blanca in Aguadilla (colors corrected using Lightroom 5.7)

DSCN2130-M.jpg

DSCN2101-M.jpg

DSCN2193-M.jpg

DSCN2092-M.jpg

DSCN2146-M.jpg DSCN2216-M.jpg

Edited by Stinger-pr

Great pics! Thanks for posting.

Snorkeling on Culebra when I did a land vacation from Fajardo was fabulous! We were staying in Fajardo and took guided snorkel tour to Culebra. So much fun!

If you want contact let me know.