How Cold and Windy Exactly???

CruisingSnooter

First time cruiser...I keep hearing that it is really cool on the ship when it is moving. We are cruising at the end of February...so my questions are:

1) Does anyone know and average at sea temp? We are doing a western caribbean itinerary.

2) Is it still hot and warm during the day despite the breeze?

3) How cold and windy is it at night? Do I need a jacket? Or just a light sweater?

Thanks!

My experience has always been the first day out of port and the last 2 (coming home) are always chillier unless it's summertime - once I'd neglected to pack long pants (I was going to the western Caribbean) and was not happy. I would say a medium weight jacket/fleece hoodie at minimum in February - in the Caribbean it'll be lovely but trust me, on your way back you'll wish you had it. A lightweight sweater/sweatshirt for the islands works. The interior of the ships tend to be pretty chilly too, especially the theater and dining rooms, so plan on a sweater or pashmina (which they sell in the $10 store on the ship in every color, so you may decide to get one on board) - again, it's something I've forgotten & have a couple I've purchased on the ship.

First time cruiser...I keep hearing that it is really cool on the ship when it is moving. We are cruising at the end of February...so my questions are:

1) Does anyone know and average at sea temp? We are doing a western caribbean itinerary.

3) How cold and windy is it at night? Do I need a jacket? Or just a light sweater?

Thanks!

We sailed a few February cruises when our sons were younger because that was our school vacation. Those cruises sailed out of Miami. Being from New Hampshire, we knew that anywhere south would be warmer in February than back home.

1) If you mean how were the temps on board while we were at sea, it was always hot.

2) Yes, it was nice and hot and the breeze was actually a welcomed relief.

3) Inside the ship I always found the temps cooler than I liked it, but that could have been because we spent all day in the sun.

I bring light sweaters to wear indoors. (I do not bring any jackets.) I usually take it off outside at night because it is warm and often humid.

Which ship are you sailing and from which port?

Thanks!

What port are you cruising out of and which ports are you visiting?

My experience has always been the first day out of port and the last 2 (coming home) are always chillier unless it's summertime - once I'd neglected to pack long pants (I was going to the western Caribbean) and was not happy. I would say a medium weight jacket/fleece hoodie at minimum in February - in the Caribbean it'll be lovely but trust me, on your way back you'll wish you had it. A lightweight sweater/sweatshirt for the islands works. The interior of the ships tend to be pretty chilly too, especially the theater and dining rooms, so plan on a sweater or pashmina (which they sell in the $10 store on the ship in every color, so you may decide to get one on board) - again, it's something I've forgotten & have a couple I've purchased on the ship.

Doesn't that kind of depend on where your home port is? In February, unless your blood is as thin as water, it's doubtful that you'll need a jacket in Miami. New York, on the other hand, is a different story. To the OP, temps. in the Caribbean in February tend to range from about 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

We are cruising out of Tampa with stops in Costa maya, Belize, roatan and grand Cayman.

Of course mother nature can have a mind of her own, but under typical conditions.......

Sixties and 70's in the daytime and 40s to 50s at night would be typical for Tampa in late February. Once you get past the first overnight, the temperatures should warm to the 80s by the time you reach Central America. Wind is more common in the winter months in the Caribbean which can make it feel cool even if it is warm outside.

Hoodies are a good option in the wintertime in both Florida and throughout the Caribbean. But daytime temps can also be quite warm.

In your situation, I would take one pair of long pants and then mostly shorts otherwise. I was in Cozumel last week and it was in the low 80s in the daytime. So pack for warm weather, but also pack something for cool evenings and nights. Even warm nighttime temperatures can feel cool if there is wind. Most people spend evenings inside on the ship, so don't worry about that unless you are just cold natured and normally wear a sweater in air conditioning. Definitely pack a swim suit if you like to sunbathe because you will likely have opportunity for that. February is considered part of the dry season around Belize, and speaking in averages, upper 60s to around 70 is typical for nighttime and low to mid 80s would be normal in the daytime. But don't forget about that typical wintertime wind.

Hope that helps you. Have a great cruise.

I always wear pants and a sweatshirt to watch movies at night up on Lido...at least in January up until probably May. Nassau can be cold this time of year, but your itinerary goes much farther south and you should get plenty of sunshine and have warm afternoons. Water temps might be a little cooler, but we swam in January in Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and Costa Maya and did not freeze! Don't forget you can get a bad sunburn even if it's cloudy. Enjoy your first cruise!!

Of course mother nature can have a mind of her own, but under typical conditions.......

Sixties and 70's in the daytime and 40s to 50s at night would be typical for Tampa in late February. Once you get past the first overnight, the temperatures should warm to the 80s by the time you reach Central America. Wind is more common in the winter months in the Caribbean which can make it feel cool even if it is warm outside.

Hoodies are a good option in the wintertime in both Florida and throughout the Caribbean. But daytime temps can also be quite warm.

In your situation, I would take one pair of long pants and then mostly shorts otherwise. I was in Cozumel last week and it was in the low 80s in the daytime. So pack for warm weather, but also pack something for cool evenings and nights. Even warm nighttime temperatures can feel cool if there is wind. Most people spend evenings inside on the ship, so don't worry about that unless you are just cold natured and normally wear a sweater in air conditioning. Definitely pack a swim suit if you like to sunbathe because you will likely have opportunity for that. February is considered part of the dry season around Belize, and speaking in averages, upper 60s to around 70 is typical for nighttime and low to mid 80s would be normal in the daytime. But don't forget about that typical wintertime wind.

Hope that helps you. Have a great cruise.

So helpful! Thank you.

Just for fun, I heard a story. Three cars pulled into a North Fla. rest stop. The pax from the car with Canada plates got out w/shorts and t's, The pax from the car w/ NY plates got out w/ long pants and hoodies. The pax from the car w/ Fla. plates got out w/overcoats on. Pack light.

How Cold and Windy Exactly???

There is no "exactly" regarding anything about cruising, especially the weather! Every single sailing, even on the same dates, encounters differences at sea.

And what one person thinks is cold (or hot) isn't what another person thinks. :p

I've sailed from Jacksonville in December and it was warmer than out of Ft Lauderdale, which isn't typical. But, as I said, your sailing may not be typical.

Yes, it's winter. But, yes, it's the Caribbean! Could be sunny and hot. Could be cool and rainy. There is absolutely no way to know what to expect. I just pack lightweight clothes that can be layered (I tend to be cold most of the time and like to be prepared). And, yes, there may be areas of the ship that are colder than it is out on deck.

It is almost always windy on the deck of the ship because the ship is moving at a pretty good pace. Imagine riding in a convertible standing up. If you really want to feel it, go all the way forward on the ship.

Edited by mrpayroll

I think a lot depends on what you wear normally. I live in yoga pants and a Tshirt and hoodie in my house unless it's summer and my house is 75-78. So I am comfortable inside on the cruise ship in that as well. When we go ashore or having a day at sea I want shorts and or a bat suit. If you are in the sun it is very warm. If you have long hair you will want something to hold it back outside as it is breezy

You should be more than fine onboard. The past few weeks in florida the temperature has been 60s-70s during the day and 50s at night. It will only get warmer the further south we go. I would definitely bring a sweater or something for the inside areas though. The public space a/c always seems to be a little too cold for most people.

We are cruising out of Tampa with stops in Costa maya, Belize, roatan and grand Cayman.

You will probably need a bit warmer clothes for Tampa.

Once you are in the Caribbean on your other port stops, it's quite warm ... except inside of the ship which does get chilly because of the a/c.

LuLu

Doesn't that kind of depend on where your home port is? In February, unless your blood is as thin as water, it's doubtful that you'll need a jacket in Miami. New York, on the other hand, is a different story. To the OP, temps. in the Caribbean in February tend to range from about 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

It was my experience sailing out of/into Los Angeles, and also San Diego, both in February. Maybe my blood is "thin as water" - I don't know, but I'm certainly healthy and young and still found it chilly. :p

I agree with saying watch the weather and save a bit of packing room to be sure!

Here is a good example. Sailed out of Tampa in the first week of December which historically has the same temp average as February. The day we left it was a beautiful day with a low in the 60's. 1 week later we got back, and it was low 40's when we were coming into Tampa. (Temps if F, I am bad at C conversion sorry!)

That being said, the coldest day we had at port was in the mid 70's in Mexico. The ship can get coldish at night and you would want a sweater probably if you want to spend time looking at the stars on deck or your balcony if you have one. I always wear sweaters to dinner, but all my dresses don't have sleeves either so...

If you are flying and packing light, I would be tempted to suggest one of the Under Armor Cold Gear jackets. They are as thin as a light fall jacket, but really do pack a punch to keep warm but don't get overly hot.

I agree with saying watch the weather and save a bit of packing room to be sure!

Here is a good example. Sailed out of Tampa in the first week of December which historically has the same temp average as February. The day we left it was a beautiful day with a low in the 60's. 1 week later we got back, and it was low 40's when we were coming into Tampa. (Temps if F, I am bad at C conversion sorry!)

That being said, the coldest day we had at port was in the mid 70's in Mexico. The ship can get coldish at night and you would want a sweater probably if you want to spend time looking at the stars on deck or your balcony if you have one. I always wear sweaters to dinner, but all my dresses don't have sleeves either so...

If you are flying and packing light, I would be tempted to suggest one of the Under Armor Cold Gear jackets. They are as thin as a light fall jacket, but really do pack a punch to keep warm but don't get overly hot.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I second the light sweater or jacket especially in the dining room. Hopefully, You will be in the sun all day at the ports of call, this always makes one cold in the evening once the sun goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great advise. I even take a light sweater when we go in the summer. After a day in the sun, the ship feels chilly in the evenings.