skorts!

raad04

I usually pack a nice pencil skirt, dark, to wear nightly, not for elegant night, with multiple tops. I also carry a couple of dresses and my usual 2 cocktail dresses.

However, I found some super nice skorts, nice length, out of a dressy fabric. I am just thrilled with them. I bought a navy one and brighter blue and white flowered one. Super comfortable and with the type of fabric will work with a dressy top for nightly dinners and then, can be use used with a t shirt for day wear. With the navy I have a beige lace top that would look super. With the blue/white flowered, I will have a blue lace top.

This will really help with less to pack!

I have started wearing skorts too! I like that they now make some skorts that are a complete skirt on the outside with sewn in shorts. It used to just be skirt in the front, shorts in the back which I did not care for. I usually wear shorts underneath my skirts (in case of wind) so having a couple of skorts on hand has been a life saver for laundry!

I have several that I've purchased in recent years from Steinmart, in the "Attyre" brand. They've had them 2 spring seasons in a row so I'm hoping it's a staple item they stock every year because I want to get a couple more. They are mid-thigh in length and super comfortable, and can be dressed up or down. Easy to wear with a tank or tee and some flip flops during the day, but easily dressed up with a nicer top or lightweight sweater and some wedges for dinner. The material is sort of a stretch gabardine.

I like that they now make some skorts that are a complete skirt on the outside with sewn in shorts. It used to just be skirt in the front, shorts in the back which I did not care for.

I grew up hearing those called different things - one was a skort and one was a scooter. However, trying to google now to see which was which and the definitions are all over the place:p [i believe in my house, according to mom, the skort was the entire skirt and the scooter was the front panel of a skirt with shorts in the back]

Culottes are split skirts eg wide leg shorts or pants, depending on the length. A skort and/or scooters are shorts covered with a skirt or with a skirt "flap" in the front.

As per the terminology commonly used where you live or where you grew up. ;)

My mother used the term "culottes" for both what you're describing AND a skort-type garment as another poster mentioned. (basically any sort of fake skirt) Where you live/lived, a greater distinction is made between the two. Neither is right or wrong, per se. :)

Yes, I have had the cotton type skorts, will be carrying a black one on the cruise, but, probably wouldn't wear that to MDR. But, these new ones, yes, a gabardine fabric is what they are made of, are just wonderful. They are fully a skirt.

With the navy one, I am going to wear a gold and lace top to MDR. During the day, it will be paired with a printed t shirt.

With the bright blue and white, I will wear a navy lace top to the MDR and during the day, a white T.

All of my skorts come to right above my knee, which is a good look for me.

Glad to hear others are finding them a good choice for cruising.:)

I usually pack a nice pencil skirt, dark, to wear nightly, not for elegant night, with multiple tops. I also carry a couple of dresses and my usual 2 cocktail dresses.

However, I found some super nice skorts, nice length, out of a dressy fabric. I am just thrilled with them. I bought a navy one and brighter blue and white flowered one. Super comfortable and with the type of fabric will work with a dressy top for nightly dinners and then, can be use used with a t shirt for day wear. With the navy I have a beige lace top that would look super. With the blue/white flowered, I will have a blue lace top.

This will really help with less to pack!

Where did you find them? Or do you have a link to what they look like? The way you describe them sounds really pretty and practical!

Where did you find them? Or do you have a link to what they look like? The way you describe them sounds really pretty and practical!

I mentioned earlier that I have found some nice ones at Steinmart, both this past spring and the spring of '15. Anybody's guess whether you'd find them this time of year though. The brand I've found there is "Attyre" so you could also try googling that.

I mentioned earlier that I have found some nice ones at Steinmart, both this past spring and the spring of '15. Anybody's guess whether you'd find them this time of year though. The brand I've found there is "Attyre" so you could also try googling that.

Nice! We've come a long way since shorts in the back, skirt in the front. Those are adorable.

I actually found these at Burke's. It is a smallish store close to my office. I think one of the brands is "Counterparts" ?.

They are just so comfortable, super nice looking and so versatile. I spend most everyday in a dress or skirt. So, these are just a great addition. I even wore the navy one to my office....no one ever knew :) I had on a nice short sleeve jacket, with wedges and nice jewelry.

I would love to find a black pair like these. The other nice thing is they are stretchy, but, keep their shape.

QVC sells skorts. I think they have some in Denim & Co., their casual brand. I bought one in their Susan Graver brand. It is in a silkier, dressier fabric, really beautiful. I'm sorry I don't know how to make a link. QVC dot Com, use the search feature for skort.

Vicki

• 3 months later...

I took three QVC Denim & Co. Active French Terry Curved Hem Skorts on our cruise in December and they were PERFECT for casual wear (white, gray and khaki) ... so comfy ... flattering ... didn't look 'sloppy' imho, but also didn't look 'over done'. I mix an match them with a variety of tops ... from basic t-shirts, to slightly dressier tops (like the V-Neck Knit Cape Top in the pics) ... and they also look good with 3/4 length sleeves in slightly cooler weather.

They might be too casual for those who really enjoy dressing up or are into more trendy fashion ... but for a middle age, casual, mom-type who just wants to be comfy and look reasonably nice ... I'd say they are well work considering. The length is long enough that I don't feel they are too short, but short enough to look summery and 'shorts-like' more than just looking like a skirt. I think they fit very true to size.

I think if i post a link it will be removed ... but google them if you're interested ... MANY colors are on clearance right now for $14 ... I paid about $30 each i think. Well worth it tho imho.

halston.jpg.34f1f4800efe25c4b5172f818f08e5cf.jpg

skort.jpg.9048bd0f36324c2089d6d16b6d38bd68.jpg

Skorts, scooters, scooter skirts, coullotts ... they're all the same concept, though they vary in detail just as pants and shorts differ in details.

Regardless of what you call them, I see them as much too casual to wear to dinner.

Skorts, scooters, scooter skirts, coullotts ... they're all the same concept, though they vary in detail just as pants and shorts differ in details.

Regardless of what you call them, I see them as much too casual to wear to dinner.

I think it depends on the individual item. I have a "skort" that appears to be a skirt all the way around and is a bit longer than some (hem is about 2" above the knee). It is a stretch gabardine fabric that dresses up quite nicely. I can, and have, worn it with heels and a semi-dressy top, and I would challenge you to look at it and think it was anything other than a regular skirt, perfectly appropriate for dinner. ;)

I also have a pair of what I guess most would call culottes, or a split skirt. Black, crushable jersey knit fabric with a slight sheen to it, super wide legs and they come down to just below the knee. These, likewise, dress up very nicely and would be perfectly appropriate for dinner.

If you're talking about the skorts/culottes/etc. that are super short (4-5" inseam for ex.) and look like shorts from the back, then yes, I'd agree they probably aren't suitable for dinner.:)

I think it depends on the individual item. I have a "skort" that appears to be a skirt all the way around and is a bit longer than some (hem is about 2" above the knee). It is a stretch gabardine fabric that dresses up quite nicely. I can, and have, worn it with heels and a semi-dressy top, and I would challenge you to look at it and think it was anything other than a regular skirt, perfectly appropriate for dinner. ;)

I also have a pair of what I guess most would call culottes, or a split skirt. Black, crushable jersey knit fabric with a slight sheen to it, super wide legs and they come down to just below the knee. These, likewise, dress up very nicely and would be perfectly appropriate for dinner.

If you're talking about the skorts/culottes/etc. that are super short (4-5" inseam for ex.) and look like shorts from the back, then yes, I'd agree they probably aren't suitable for dinner.:)

I know that differences exist within the category of "skorts", and, yes, some are dressier than others, but all have the fatal flaw of being two items in one ... meaning that by definition they're thicker and bunchier around the hip. They "fall" differently.

I know that differences exist within the category of "skorts", and, yes, some are dressier than others, but all have the fatal flaw of being two items in one ... meaning that by definition they're thicker and bunchier around the hip. They "fall" differently.

I wish I had pictures to post of the skort I was talking about. I assure you there is NO extra thickness or bunching around the hip. The undershorts are so thin and stretchy that they add no bulk whatsoever. The skirt falls beautifully. Got it at Steinmart several years ago.