About $1m for Newie terminal

So what do youget for that.....a big tent , or just a pergola ?

Neither.

It will be works to allow larger ships to tie up.

There is an application before cab it for about $20 mil for an arrivals and departure hall.

Well why don't they.

Thought everyone knew Newie.

I've lived here (Newcastle and Lake Mac) most of my life and only recently heard of Newcastle being referred to as Newie/Newy. Can't really bring myself to use it, just doesn't sit right for me.

I've lived here (Newcastle and Lake Mac) most of my life and only recently heard of Newcastle being referred to as Newie/Newy. Can't really bring myself to use it, just doesn't sit right for me.

It's typical of Australians to shorten a lot of words. Just to many to list.:)

I've lived here (Newcastle and Lake Mac) most of my and only recently heard of Newcastle being referred to as Newie/Newy. Can't really bring myself to use it, just doesn't sit right for me.

I've lived here ALL my life, born and bred Wangi boy, Newie first started to be used in about the mid 70s, prior to that it was just Town.

I've lived here ALL my life, born and bred Wangi boy, Newie first started to be used in about the mid 70s, prior to that it was just Town.

And then of course the debate about whether it's Newie or Newy... :D I've only been here for 25 years so technically only just a local :rolleyes:;):D

I used to be excited to go to Newy for the weekend when I was a little girl - I remember everyone calling it that in the early '80s. It was especially exciting to go to the foreshore to watch the huge navy ships come in and then get on and explore them.

It could be useful with the access to the wine region in the Hunter Valley. The only drawback with the city is the poor train line and extremely slow train between Newcastle and Sydney. I believe the old steam trains used to make a quicker run than the new electrics. Newcastle really is starting to boom at the moment with all the development coming and the people going back to the city. Last time I went driving through there it was a lot more impressive than it was a decade ago.

And then of course the debate about whether it's Newie or Newy... :D I've only been here for 25 years so technically only just a local :rolleyes:;):D

Spelling doesn't matter, it is all in the pronunciation.:rolleyes:

Hope we can get cruises embarking and disembarking from Newie too.

And we need a new cruise terminal, not a tent!!!

It'd be great wouldn't it?

Pacific Jewel was doing so at one time.

There is a proposal before cabinet for $13m for a embarkation disembarkation hall that can also be used for exhibitions etc.

It'd be great wouldn't it?

Pacific Jewel was doing so at one time.

There is a proposal before cabinet for $13m for a embarkation disembarkation hall that can also be used for exhibitions etc.

A multi function facility would be best as long as it can be an excellent cruise terminal as well as for the other purposes and not just mediocre at all of them.

A multi function facility would be best as long as it can be an excellent cruise terminal as well as for the other purposes and not just mediocre at all of them.

That's the concern, that they get it right. I suspect the million they just announced locks in Dyke Point for the foreseeable future, wonder if we'll actually see any of the larger ships they hope to attract.

That's the concern, that they get it right. I suspect the million they just announced locks in Dyke Point for the foreseeable future, wonder if we'll actually see any of the larger ships they hope to attract.
I hope so, most of the ships tend to be larger now.