Can singles get a better deal??

2kiwis

It is really upsetting that Oceania’s single supplement policy puts fares out of the reach of many of us travelling alone.

My husband and I have cruised with Oceania since 2006 and were getting close to our free cruise.

However, my husband passed away recently and now I am faced with paying double fare if I want to continue cruising with Oceania.

We have always cruised Oceania but with great reluctance I may be forced change as other cruise lines are offering better deals for single passengers.

As a loyal Oceania customers it is really upsetting being faced with the reality that I most probably will not cruise with them again - guess that will save them my free cruise.:mad:

Some of the other similar sized cruise lines I have started looking at offer great incentives for single travellers.

Granted this may not include all their cruises destinations but it does cover a surprisingly large range of them.

SILVERSEA

Silversea Cruises has introduced new, low single supplements (10%) on selected 2014/15 sailings that offer the opportunity to experience the ultimate in six-star cruising as a solo traveller.

And on some sailings there is NO supplement.

“Silver Discoverer's single supplement fares have been waived on an array of thrilling expeditions.

Along with a warm welcome at a singles' reception, you'll enjoy all the other all-inclusive distinctions that have made Silversea the preferred choice for discerning travellers – singles included”

AZAMARA: On select voyages, singles pay just 125% of the double occupancy fares. This offer also includes gratuities for housekeeping, dining and bar staff.

OCEANIA: There will be a charge for single occupancy of 200% of the double occupancy suite or stateroom fare.

Edited by 2kiwis

This policy is most unfortunate. We have two friends who had to cancel their trip with us because they simply could not afford 200%.

I am very sorry for your loss. I don't imagine Oceania would consider giving you two free trips considering the circumstances.

In the past I have seen ON VERY FEW OCCASIONS that the single supplement was waived or greatly reduced. But this was really rare and I don't think I've seen such a thing recently.

I have a friend who would love to travel on Oceania (because of my fondness for it) but she's usually traveling alone and couldn't possibly manage the fares as a singleton.

Mura

2kiwis,

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss.

Forget about the single supplement. Find a roommate.

In my situation, I sometimes travel with my guy, but he doesn’t like to travel nearly as much as I do. I used to pay double for an itinerary I really wanted. Now I just pick the trip of my dreams and put out a call to people who know me. I send dozens of friends an email briefly describing the trip, including the cost. There are many women in similar circumstances, with the means and desire to travel. I’ve had some wonderful roommates onboard Oceania. (Of course the same applies to solo men.) In January I’m booked on the 180-day world cruise with a woman I’ve met only once, a friend of friends. No worries. We are at the very least generally compatible. We have different plans in various places, and I consider the stateroom little more than a place to sleep.

Fortunately, we are not as alone as we think.

-Sukey-

In my humble opinion Oceania is awful for singles. They make it clear (in my estimation) that they do not want singles. On the other hand, Crystal clearly welcomes them. Their single supplement is usually around 25 percent or in cruise parlance 125 percent. In addition to that it is much easier to meet people on Crystal than it is on Oceania. For example the coffee Bistro on Crystal is set up as a meeting place and chatting place on Crystal. It has lots of delicacies all day long-unlike Oceania's Rivera which is set off somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and seems to have mostly croissants and a few finger type sandwiches. Also if you ask for a table for eight on Crystal, they usually seat you with other singles. Therefore, if you want to meet other people, it is easier to meet them. If you are single and mostly alone or married and only want to chat with your spouse and no one else Oceania is probably okay. This is based on my one cruise on Oceania Rivera. Also, if money is no option-and you are willing to have no single supplement. If you are single and want a deeper and more meaningful cruise-I strongly recommend Crystal. You should also check out the Crystal forum on Cruise Critic. I wish you the best of luck in choosing your next cruise. Obviously, my preference is Crystal. Happy cruising on whatever cruise you select. :)

The harsh truth is that O don't really need singles on board......their occupancy level are already high. Unsold inventory is sometimes sold as a late deals for twin occupancy, and it's sometimes also sold to travel industry staff on a space available basis, which means they are still getting two in a stateroom, protecting on board revenue (bar/tours etc), albeit at a lower fare. They will have done the sums.....

The harsh truth is that O don't really need singles on board......their occupancy level are already high. Unsold inventory is sometimes sold as a late deals for twin occupancy' date=' and it's sometimes also sold to travel industry staff on a space available basis, which means they are still getting two in a stateroom, protecting on board revenue (bar/tours etc), albeit at a lower fare. They will have done the sums.....[/quote']

I agree with you that Oceania does not need single persons on board. It is also obvious that they do not want singles on board. Thus, why would a single person or persons even want to cruise on Oceania-when one can go on Crystal or Silverseas as stated above at anywhere from a 10 percent supplement to a 25 percent single supplement? I took one Oceania cruise with my wife, and the only thing I liked about it was the food in the specialty restaurants and the buffet in the evening. However, the food is also excellent on both Crystal and Siverseas. I am not a masochist. Thus, if I traveled solo, I would never go on Oceania-and as a couple my wife and I both prefer Crystal or Silverseas-much better entertainment, guest lecturers, easier to meet and talk to other persons on board, and better coffee bistro.. Oceania-no way -certainly no way without a single supplement. But hey, to each his own.

I understand that other lines' pricing policy is more attractive to singles, but the two lines you are mentioning have formal nights and include alcohol? Both items are a big negative for me. We use cruises as part of a longer land trip where more than one suitcase is a hassle and I drink very little alcohol. Each person has different priorities.

I have wanted to try Oceania for some time, based on good things I've heard from others. But the solo pricing is indeed discouraging.

I understand that other lines' pricing policy is more attractive to singles, but the two lines you are mentioning have formal nights and include alcohol? Both items are a big negative for me. We use cruises as part of a longer land trip where more than one suitcase is a hassle and I drink very little alcohol. Each person has different priorities.

I have also been looking at Crystal as a new alternative. I can understand having to work around formal nights might be an inconvenience. But if alcohol is included and the price is still less than Oceania, why would that be a problem? They presumably do not force it upon one.

Thank you all for your comments.

As much as I love Oceania is sounds as though I may be better off looking elsewhere.

I still feel very let down as my husband and I remained loyal cruisers and now I am on my own I no longer feel welcome on Oceania.::(

So much for “Your world Your way”

Oh for a world where life could be about people not profit

While I haven't traveled as a single on Oceania, I have known people on cruises who did. They seemed quite happy (other than having to pay so much for their cruise which is something else). I've seen get-togethers for singles announced in the Daily Currents. They are not shunted off to a table for one in the far corner at meal times.

You may be right that Oceania isn't right for you as a solo traveler, you would know better than I. But I personally feel it's an exaggeration to say that singles are unwelcome.

I hope you find the right fit. There are certainly plenty of other choices.

Mura

2kiwis,

If you love Oceania, please don’t give it up! Surely you have a friend who would love the onboard experience too. It’s very rewarding to share a cruise with someone new to cruising. Even when I’ve sailed solo, I’ve always been treated well, and I made wonderful new friends on my own. Try it!

-Sukey-

I don't understand the part of why you don't find a roommate. I have an old acquaintance, similar to your situation, that merely ran an add in the local newspaper describing herself and "looking for other similar females that liked doing cruises and travel". After getting numerous responses, she set up a M&G at a restaurant for everyone to scope each other out. Now they have a group of about 6-8 that regularly travel together, and she never has problems finding one of the crew to do a cruise, or other tour, with her. Is there some reason you refuse to travel with others?

I don't understand the part of why you don't find a roommate. I have an old acquaintance, similar to your situation, that merely ran an add in the local newspaper describing herself and "looking for other similar females that liked doing cruises and travel". After getting numerous responses, she set up a M&G at a restaurant for everyone to scope each other out. Now they have a group of about 6-8 that regularly travel together, and she never has problems finding one of the crew to do a cruise, or other tour, with her. Is there some reason you refuse to travel with others?

Given that my husband has very recently died it is something I have not really had time to get my head around.

I appreciate the ideas put forward about travelling with others and will give it serious consideration.

However, I would like to do a long cruise like the world voyage (most of our cruises to date have been over 4 weeks and up to 8 weeks) which may make it more difficult find people to share and for that long length of time I think I might like my own space.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that it is clear Oceania does not cater for single people whereas other cruise lines do. I think it is a real shame for those who may not like to share or be able to find someone to share with.

• 3 weeks later...

In a day or two, I'm leaving on my first Oceania cruise. I'm travelling solo -- I'm going with my parents (who are, obviously, sharing a cabin with each other), but I needed a single room.

I've had other cruise lines be somewhat flexible on the single supplement. (Glacier Bay, in particular, was awesome about it. Then again, they're out of business now.) Our TA could get NOWHERE with Oceania on this; they were standing firm on the charge.

However, they were flexible in another way -- my parents had booked a Veranda stateroom, and when I told the TA I would take an Ocean View room to save on cost, the TA said her Oceania contact would give me a free upgrade to Veranda. The price with single supplement was still 200%, but since I paid only for the OV, the math worked out to a reduced single supplement on the Veranda room.

The takeaway from this: Oceania may be non-negotiable on the single supplement, but they may be flexible in other respects which would give you equivalent savings.

Think outside the box.... search for singles. Consider a great business opportunity.. set up a travel coordination company and work with a Travel Agent ... Putting together like persons.... create a subscription network for them....

Hey, become a travel agent and get the ability to travel on fan-pac's

If you have traveled a lot your knowledge must be huge... utilize it. Reinvent yourself..... Put together groups to cruise together... from affinity groups...be the mini-director and maybe get a free cruise too !!!

Who knows what is possible....the mold of your life is in your hands to break.

The important thing is you try something different. Go on fewer cruises but better. Budget for the future today.

With respect to Crystal and Silverseas while the fares are great, I can not get over the over the top formal atmosphere of both. I am trending more and more toward less and less and dressing formal and informal every night is too much.

Think outside the box.... search for singles. Consider a great business opportunity.. set up a travel coordination company and work with a Travel Agent ... Putting together like persons.... create a subscription network for them....

Hey, become a travel agent and get the ability to travel on fan-pac's

If you have traveled a lot your knowledge must be huge... utilize it. Reinvent yourself..... Put together groups to cruise together... from affinity groups...be the mini-director and maybe get a free cruise too !!!

Who knows what is possible....the mold of your life is in your hands to break.

The important thing is you try something different. Go on fewer cruises but better. Budget for the future today.

With respect to Crystal and Silverseas while the fares are great, I can not get over the over the top formal atmosphere of both. I am trending more and more toward less and less and dressing formal and informal every night is too much.

Crystal is now much less formal, two options, crystal casual (most nights) jacket and tie not required and Black tie optional, jacket required, tux or suit and tie optional.

Try Crystal. The clothing is not really that different from Oceania assuming you dress somewhat for dinner. If one wears black on formal night and a little costume jewelry, you will be fine!

I have traveled on both and would choose Crystal with or without a mate!

Crystal is now much less formal, two options, crystal casual (most nights) jacket and tie not required and Black tie optional, jacket required, tux or suit and tie optional.

Do you know when Crystal made that change? I wasn't aware of it.