Dining options

boakes

If I choose early dining on carnival and I miss the 6pm time, can I show up at the anytime for one evening and still be served in the dining room?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You would be best asking this on the Carnival board.

With that said, the general consensus is that if you miss your assigned dining time, you are welcome to partake in the other dining options that evening, such as the specialty restaurant (if your ship has one) or the buffet. It is generally not allowed to use the anytime dining room.

If I choose early dining on carnival and I miss the 6pm time, can I show up at the anytime for one evening and still be served in the dining room?

The official answer is no. Does it happen sometimes....maybe, but if it was allowed very often then people would start taking advantage, so my guess is 99% of the time they will say no.

And since they ask for your cabin number before you are seated they would know that you don't have YTD.

No, you will have the option of the buffet, or room service...or any specialty restarant your ship might have.

There's really no reason to "miss" your assigned dining time!

Edited by cb at sea

no.

if you have traditional dining( set seating, usually 2 times a night early and late ) that is the ONLY time you can be seated in the MDR.

if you will miss that slot you must choose an alternative dining option.

RARELY..with advance notice can you ASK to go Any time for one evening but be prepared to be told it is not an option.

No, you will have the option of the buffet, or room service...or any specialty restarant your ship might have.

you always say this, and you are always told you are incorrect.

shore excursions run late, people are not feeling well, or they got caught up in something else such as an on board event. or the line to take pictures with the sunset background was uber long.

there are a myriad of reasons why someone could miss their assigned dining time. My own personal excuse always seems to be that my nap took too long...

you always say this, and you are always told you are incorrect.

shore excursions run late, people are not feeling well, or they got caught up in something else such as an on board event. or the line to take pictures with the sunset background was uber long.

there are a myriad of reasons why someone could miss their assigned dining time. My own personal excuse always seems to be that my nap took too long...

Could you imagine the back up if even only 100 people did this? If you missed your seating and sat in any time dining you just used double the amount of chairs times how many is in your party. No one can use your seats in the traditional dining room

There are other options for dining

On many sailings assigned dining is not available to people booking close to sailing date, because there are only so many tables set aside. If the maître d' permitted people to switch at will from assigned dining to anytime, many more would opt for assigned just to have the option and many more people would be unable to get their choice of assigned dining.

I disagree. There are many reasons why people miss their assigned dining times.

On many sailings assigned dining is not available to people booking close to sailing date, because there are only so many tables set aside. If the maître d' permitted people to switch at will from assigned dining to anytime, many more would opt for assigned just to have the option and many more people would be unable to get their choice of assigned dining.

We didn't get our choice (late traditional) on a couple of cruises ago because we booked less than two months before the sailing date. Was so glad to get traditional on our last cruise, and ate every dinner there except when we got a complimentary specialty dinner (first time for eating in one of those, but it's still not a must do for us), and three cruises before that we ate 14 out of15 dinners at our assigned table (the one time we ate in the buffet was when our girl felt iffy). Even when we were in port til 11pm, we came back to the ship and ate dinner there and then went out again.

If for some reason we miss our regular seating, we go to the buffet. Not a problem. We wouldn't try to "crash" anytime dining because then we might cause a wait to passengers who are "assigned" to the anytime dining rooms.

So I would guess that if you know ahead of time you're going to miss your assigned seating (say you booked a specialty restaurant or have a late excursion, let your waitstaff and table mates know so they won't be waiting for you). But be considerate of the flexible diners and let them have their dining option. We much preferred traditional and hopefully you'll enjoy the experience to as this is a dining experience unique to cruising.