Why is 3rd person more money??

umbrino

I just booked Vista last night for April 2017! The first 2 in the cabin are 678.00 and the 3rd person is 918.00. Anyone know why I am paying more??? Shouldn't it be less??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did get 2 cabins, 1 for my 3 kids and 1 for my husband and I. I guess I will keep watching the price and hopefully it goes down. Thanks everyone!!!

Never saw this happen before though.

There was another thread a few days ago that had the same question. They were booked on Vista also, if I remember correctly. So apparently bookings for 3/4 person cabins on Vista are strong.

I've also heard of happening on other ships, but very rarely, and always either during spring break or summer when kids were out of school and families were traveling.

I just booked Vista last night for April 2017! The first 2 in the cabin are 678.00 and the 3rd person is 918.00. Anyone know why I am paying more??? Shouldn't it be less??

Thanks!

I have never heard of a third passenger in the same cabin paying more than the first two. Did you call Carnival, or did you book online?

Thanks!

I have never seen this happen. I did a couple of mock bookings and the third person always came up significantly less.

Did you book through a PVP? I would be calling and asking questions.

I have never seen this happen. I did a couple of mock bookings and the third person always came up significantly less.

Did you book through a PVP? I would be calling and asking questions.

I'll second this. Although it can happen (a rare occurrence indeed), I did some mocks for several April 2017 Vista sailings and the fare for the third person always came up less than for the first two.

More info would help (sail date, cabin type, etc) to validate the bizzarro fare you received.

We booked directly with carnival last night.

I just did a mock booking for an April date on Vista and the third passenger came up at $199.

What date did you book?

Thanks!

Was the total $240 more than you calculated the rate x 3? What was your rate pp you anticipated?

We booked April 16th on Vista. It is spring break that week but it just seems odd I have to pay more for the 3rd person 240.00 more.

I did April 16 and third person was $300 less than 1st and 2nd. :confused:

I think it is supply and demand on rooms but I thought it was pretty queer too when we tried to add our friend on for our cruise the week of xmas, his rate was $345 more to stay in our cabin. Now we are looking at finding him a cabin mate hahaha.

I think this is an extremely abnormal situation that probably only occurs around xmas and maybe spring break when families are together and NEED 4 to a room for child care or cost savings. Every other time I've been 3 or 4 in a room, it has been cheaper.

Edited by stevefrisco
Add information

We booked April 16th on Vista. It is spring break that week but it just seems odd I have to pay more for the 3rd person 240.00 more.

I see the same thing you do for an interior cabin. It is $918 more for a 3 person over a 2 person inside. It only costs about $30 more to move up to an ocean view and you would have a bigger cabin.

What cabin class? Interior? Oceanview? Family Harbor? Balcony?

The one oddity I did find on the interiors first 2 guest rate is $599 and the third is $799 (based on the lowest cabin category). The other cabin categories are all show a lower 3rd guest rate that than 1st two guest rate (which is lower than the interior 3rd person rate).

That's definitely an odd one.

Edited by StolidCruiser

We got 4e inside stateroom deck 6 room 6375. It was 678.00 first 2 and 918.00 the 3rd. That was the price with my offers as I have sailed 3 other times with carnival.

Thanks!

For our 2014 cruise on the magic, it was cheaper to buy one cloud 9 spa balcony for 2 and one cloud 9 spa interior cabin for 2 than just one cloud 9 spa balcony for 4.

So yeah, pricing does not always align with our assumptions.

After reading all of the responses, I decided to do a mock booking.

These are the results I got for a room that is just down from the one you picked:

Guest 1 $629.00 $119.53 $748.53

Guest 2 $629.00 $119.53 $748.53

Guest 3 $799.00 $119.53 $918.53

Add $233.10 Prepaid Gratuities (per room)

Subtotal: $2,057.00

Taxes, fees & port expenses: $358.59

Total: $2,415.59

Today's Deposit

$447.00

remainder due Jan 31st 2017

As a travel agent I can tell you it happens all the time. People don't realize this, because most of the time the 3rd and 4th people in the cabin are less, but Carnival has hundreds of cruises sailing every year with prices that change all the time.

Since I look at cruise prices all day every day, I see it a lot. It usually happens on the more popular times for families like Summer, Spring Break, Christmas, and Thanksgiving. It also happens a lot when someone is looking at last minute cruises and there isn't much available.

We got 4e inside stateroom deck 6 room 6375. It was 678.00 first 2 and 918.00 the 3rd. That was the price with my offers as I have sailed 3 other times with carnival.

And like I said before for $30 more you could get a deluxe ocean view cabin on deck 1 that would have the third bed as a sofa instead of an upper. It would also have the 2nd bathroom. It is a larger cabin.

Also I assume the higher price is because the insides are in demand more. In that case they are less likely to have a price reduction. If you were to switch to the ocean view you might end up with a cabin costing less than the inside. It has happened before.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

Thanks!

My family is booked for the Pride April 23, 2017. My husband and I are $634 each and our daughter is $179. So there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.