Bringing food in carry-on luggage (Toronto to Fort Lauderdale)

cravingthis

I checked the TSA website for permitted foods on board, but the CATSA is a bit difficult to navigate.

1. I’m travelling from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale (connecting in Atlanta), is food permitted in carry on baggage (such as pre-made sandwiches, cookies, muffins, bags of chips, etc)?

2. I also thought fruit was banned? It’s on the ok list below?

3. I know liquids (water, juice, pop) is not permitted until after we’re checked in and then we have to pay a ridiculous price for it.

TIA!

From TSA website

Solid food products are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage. Examples of solid food products include meat, bread, fruits, vegetables, sandwiches, chips, cookies, cakes, muffins, granola bars, hard candies, cheese, nuts, crackers, chocolate bars and other similar food items.

If you are planning to bring food from a foreign country into Canada, you should check with your air carrier or Canada Border Services Agency’s website as some restrictions may apply.

If you plan to bring food products from Canada into another country, you should contact the appropriate foreign office accredited to Canada or the customs authority of the country of your destination.

Here's the link showing what food items you are able to pack: http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/page.aspx?id=5&pname=PermittedItems_ArticlesPermis&lang=en&CategoryID=3

Remember, they are looking at this from a security point of view. What a certain country will allow in terms of fruit, etc. is an entirely different issue.

1. These items are usually fine; I believe the fruit/veg reference is for US domestic flights. TSA is not in charge of food importation rules to/from other countries.

2. No fruits or vegetables

3. No liquids above the 3.4 oz rule

Edited by 6rugrats

Don't know about Florida but California is quite strict about what can be brought in. Some airports have dog sniffers. Packaged food is always OK but fresh meat, veg, etc. are not permitted in CA from foreign countries. Check what one has to declare in the customs form. When we arrive in FLL on a cruise ship we declare cheese, meat etc.

Edited by sultan_sfo

You've got two different issues here. Technically, you're on an international flight, from Canada, and US Agricultural laws do not allow anyone to bring in food items that are not factory sealed. According to the US laws, no fruits, vegetables, meats and some cheeses are not allowed to be brought in. Like I said, these are the US laws and have nothing to do with the TSA.

Your second issue is the TSA. The answer to this depends on the TSA agent. I've had food items taken from me at the TSA checkpoint and then I've gotten through with them. The liquid issue is pretty easy to understand---nothing more than 3 oz are allowed in a carry on. Anything more will be thrown away. Once you're past the security checkpoint, you can purchase liquids for your carry on, but not before.

In the last year (2010) flying cross country in the USA I have carried on and consumed onboard sandwiches, bananas, apples, pears, chips, pringles, candy bars, donuts, cookies in zip lock bag, mayo packs, catsup packs, granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, water and drinks (after security). Did not seem to be a great deal of difference between what I bought in restaurants after security and what I bought at home (out bound from home and inbound from stores or shops in airport or near airport). The worst that can happen is that TSA ask you to trash what you have carried in your take-on luggage. Be sure you have the food in the seat with you. It is a pain to you and those around you to get stuff out of the bins.

Now for food taken off the plane and into Canada -- I think they would not like fruits and vegetables. Packaged food probably OK. Pig out and nobody has to worry:p

One of my newer pet peeves. When sitting in the 12 inches that you get for a seat in economy and when trying to stuff an overstuffed sandwich in your head please think about it before carrying on. Really smelly bread, cheese, condiments etc. in that enclosed space and for that long period of time is really annoying. Please consider the folks around you and pick a lunch that does not smell!:D

One of my newer pet peeves. When sitting in the 12 inches that you get for a seat in economy and when trying to stuff an overstuffed sandwich in your head please think about it before carrying on. Really smelly bread, cheese, condiments etc. in that enclosed space and for that long period of time is really annoying. Please consider the folks around you and pick a lunch that does not smell!:D

Thanks everyone.

Bowie MeMe - good idea, but we're extremely thoughtful about everything in general.

Peanut butter and jelly and nutella sandwiches, along with muffins and cookies are what we had in mind, nothing that would spoil since it can't be refrigerated.

Thanks everyone.

Bowie MeMe - good idea, but we're extremely thoughtful about everything in general.

Peanut butter and jelly and nutella sandwiches, along with muffins and cookies are what we had in mind, nothing that would spoil since it can't be refrigerated.

I think you'll be fine with those.

The only time I've had an issue was the time I was 'pawed' by the sniffer beagle at YUL. We had an open package of orange cookies in our carry-on. You cannot believe the look of reproach the beagle gave us...

I thought of offering him one of the cookies, but I was afraid it would be construed as a bribe ;).

I checked the TSA website for permitted foods on board, but the CATSA is a bit difficult to navigate.

1. I’m travelling from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale (connecting in Atlanta), is food permitted in carry on baggage (such as pre-made sandwiches, cookies, muffins, bags of chips, etc)?

2. I also thought fruit was banned? It’s on the ok list below?

3. I know liquids (water, juice, pop) is not permitted until after we’re checked in and then we have to pay a ridiculous price for it.

TIA!

The problem isn't with Canada's CATSA (who only care about the security implications of the food); it's a matter of the US department of Agriculture who greatly limit the importation of fresh and processed food items from other countries.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

Is where you want to go read.

I think you'll be fine with those.

The only time I've had an issue was the time I was 'pawed' by the sniffer beagle at YUL. We had an open package of orange cookies in our carry-on. You cannot believe the look of reproach the beagle gave us...

I thought of offering him one of the cookies, but I was afraid it would be construed as a bribe ;).

LOL, too funny!! Can just picture the cute little beagle now :D

The problem isn't with Canada's CATSA (who only care about the security implications of the food); it's a matter of the US department of Agriculture who greatly limit the importation of fresh and processed food items from other countries.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

Is where you want to go read.

Hi Scottbee, that link really helped a lot, thank you

Flyertalker- Funny photo...any explanation of the US/Aussie dogs? Are they at LAX to screen Qantas flights in both directions?
Sorry...don't know details. The photo had been emailed to me years ago, and I found an online version to link to by entering "customs beagle" into Google Images. Although those don't look like beagles to me...I still love that photo. NO ONE IS BEYOND SUSPICION!!!

UPDATE: Found more info at THIS LINK.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Somehow I was under the impression peanut butter was not allowed due to allergies, that the airlines don't even serve peanuts anymore. I hope this info is wrong because I also like to bring a pbj with me just in case it's to long between meals.

Yep incorrect. Some airlines do not serve peanuts, but there is no prohibition on bringing peanuts or peanut butter on the plane (at least not at this time). The only restriction on peanut butter is that you don't violate the liquid rules.

peanut butter sandwiches and fruit salad (bought at the hotel restaurant) on our flights earlier this year without a problem. However, I have heard from colleagues of people being asked to move seats if someone self-identifies as having a peanut allergy and they are sitting with their peanut products nearby.

I know on a parenting forum I frequent this is a hot topic, because airlines do not guarentee a peanut-free zone.

For the record, yes there was liquid in the fruit salad, but I had no problem getting it through security. Actually I found the US TSA more family-friendly than their Canadian airport counterparts. Now the border guards at Hill Island...the Canadian gal we spoke with at 11:30pm was great!

Somehow I was under the impression peanut butter was not allowed due to allergies, that the airlines don't even serve peanuts anymore. I hope this info is wrong because I also like to bring a pbj with me just in case it's to long between meals.

Yep incorrect. Some airlines do not serve peanuts, but there is no prohibition on bringing peanuts or peanut butter on the plane (at least not at this time). The only restriction on peanut butter is that you don't violate the liquid rules.

It actually depends on the airlines. Air Canada were recently ordered to create nut-free zones for persons with allergies.