Epic Changed port no notice is this normal?

T&B2017

Just wondering if this is normal, booked for Med Cruise April of 2017, just happened to log on to my NCL and saw that Marseille (sp) is now changed to Palma Majorca Spain instead...is this normal?

My husband wonders if it was a safety issue due to what happened in Nice?

Thoughts?

Any cruise line can change itineraries with or without notice. This one was done several weeks ago. Could have been done for a variety of reasons. Without my checking, my guess would based what Norwegian said at the time, there were too many cruises docked or at anchor on a particular day.

This change affects all Epic cruises next summer and it was reported here sometime last week:

NCL Cancelled Our 6 Night Epic Med Cruise :(

NCL apparently sent out e-mails to affected passengers (they may still be in the process of sending these out). It is possible that for some reason they neglected to notify you or you somehow didn't receive the notification.

They give no reason for the change, except to say that it is "In an effort to enhance the guest experience". I have no idea why they insist on resorting to this kind of insincere and meaningless verbiage every time they announce bad news, can it really be that they are unaware of how nauseating it is? :mad:

I doubt that it has anything to do with the attack in Nice. After all, Cannes is still on the itinerary, and that is much closer to Nice than Marseille.

Many have reported receiving an email about two weeks ago to notify them about this change. No idea why you did not get that email. Or maybe you did and just deleted it, thinking it was just another publicity from NCL?

I'm sure it's not a real security issue. Although it could be that a number of insecure passengers requested the change following the Nice attacks.

Palma was already on the Epic itinerary in 2014 and in 2015, but they had some problems in 2015 that caused them to change it to Marseille, after having to seriously shorten the time in Palma (from 7 hours to 5 hours) for the rest of the year. My guess is that they managed to solve the issues they had in 2015 and have just decided to go back to the original itinerary.

Thanks for the information. I am sure I did not get an email from them. I did book the cruise through another source though.

I'm okay with it, I am just glad they did not change Florence for example, then I would have been :mad:.

I just wish I had a roll call for our cruise, I've checked and tried to make one, no activity at all.

Roll calls can be hit and miss, but it's too early to give up on yours already!

NCL may have notified your TA, who failed to notify you. It happens a lot, one of the risks of having a someone in the middle (you may also miss out on upsell offers, etc.) but hopefully there were some advantages for you, too.

As stated in numerous threads on this in the past couple of weeks, this cruise has had lots of itinerary changes over the years. Cannes, Marseilles and Palma have been used in different combinations.

When we booked for Spring this year, we were due to go to Palma, but it was changed to Marseilles. This change is the reverse of that. This was the second time that we have had changes on this itinerary after booking.

I don't know why it changes so often, but it is nothing to do with what happened in Nice.

Naples, Rome and Florence are the key ports on this cruise and, emergencies aside, they won't change.

Edited by KeithJenner

Not only is it normal, it's in your cruise contract that they can (and do) switch ports, cancel ports, or do whatever they want regarding ports...they don't need to notify you, but they usually do at least a day in advance.

Just expanding on this a little. These are the various combinations of the last two days of this cruise over the years. We didn't do it in 2015, so I don't have the details for that:

2012 - When we booked - Nice, Marseilles. Changed to - Cannes, Marseilles

2013 - Marseilles, Palma

2014 - Cannes, Palma

2016 - When we booked - Cannes, Palma. Changed to - Cannes, Marseilles.

And then for 2017, I believe it is the opposite of 2016.

I think it's fair to say that changes are normal on this itinerary. I have always been notified though (I book direct).

Edited by KeithJenner

I got a great deal with a wonderful balcony room. I am happy with booking the way I did, (I did and do everything else directly myself) and I am fine with the any of the changes they may do in those 3 ports. It's my first time in Europe on a cruise but my 3rd cruise.

Just makes me get to do more research and find new places to see.

I won't give up on my roll call...patiently waiting :)

Not only is it normal, it's in your cruise contract that they can (and do) switch ports, cancel ports, or do whatever they want regarding ports...they don't need to notify you, but they usually do at least a day in advance.

I suspect (and I may not be correct) that the ONLY reason I was notified of this change was because I was BOARDING in Marseille. Obviously that needed a notification!! I wouldn't have expected an email this far in advance otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suspect (and I may not be correct) that the ONLY reason I was notified of this change was because I was BOARDING in Marseille.
The e-mail quoted in the other thread was sent to passengers embarking in Barcelona, so I think they are trying to notify everyone. But of course for people who planned to embark and/or disembark in Marseille, it's a cruise cancellation, so that's a much bigger deal.

I've had a couple of other itinerary changes as well as the two on this particular itineraries and have always received an email.

Sometimes it takes a while before I get it.

Actually, once I didn't get an email, but that was when a cruise was cancelled. I assume it went missing and I contacted my PCC quite early anyway, so I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't done so. From my other dealings I suspect they would have called me if I hadn't contacted them.

T&B2017,

I also did not receive an email. I found out on CC of course. ;) I booked through a TA and I sent him an email asking why he had not notified us. He said NCL never notified him...hmm perhaps. I am thrilled for another day in Spain.

The roll calls are sometimes hit and miss until closer to the sail date. I started one when we booked and I hope in a few months someone will say hi. :)

Just wondering if this is normal, booked for Med Cruise April of 2017, just happened to log on to my NCL and saw that Marseille (sp) is now changed to Palma Majorca Spain instead...is this normal?

Thoughts?

While not really normal, it is not uncommon or unusual, especially when done this far in advance. Many factors are involved including how many other ships are scheduled, port fees, sailing times, and the list goes on and one.

I noticed this also when I checked our itinerary. We sail on the Epic 9/10/17 out of Barcelona. Not a big deal to me. Tbh, from what little research I have done, it actually looks like we will enjoy Palma Majorca more than Marseille. [emoji1360]

Edited by Kissfan44

Palma is a lovely city with a beautiful harbour, a nice old town and lots of nice areas to walk around.

Agreed

We sail in 5 weeks. SO wish we were going to Palma instead of Marseille. Would make a good itinerary excellent. I'm jealous of the change.

Just expanding on this a little. These are the various combinations of the last two days of this cruise over the years. We didn't do it in 2015, so I don't have the details for that:

2012 - When we booked - Nice, Marseilles. Changed to - Cannes, Marseilles

2013 - Marseilles, Palma

2014 - Cannes, Palma

2016 - When we booked - Cannes, Palma. Changed to - Cannes, Marseilles.

And then for 2017, I believe it is the opposite of 2016.

I think it's fair to say that changes are normal on this itinerary. I have always been notified though (I book direct).

Great post.

We did all of these and 2015 was Palma but the ship had engine problems thereby shortening the time there for most of the season.

The changes are not security related.

Thoughts?

You will love Palma Majorca! It was the highlight of my med cruise last fall

• 1 month later...

I just received a mass mailing from NCL over the weekend, addressed to French customers, about the 7-day Med sailings on the Epic in 2017. It says in bold print that for more flexibility, passengers can board the ship in Barcelona, Marseille, or Civitavecchia. Talk about junk mail… :rolleyes: