Woman Overboard on Seabourn Quest

WonderMan3

How does one just fall overboard? It's a pretty hard thing to do. I know on CCL there have been incidents of teens and twenty something's going overboard after drinking and doing stupid things like climbing over railings and leaning over.

It's sad to hear and I would be interested to know the circumstances.

How does one just fall overboard? It's a pretty hard thing to do. I know on CCL there have been incidents of teens and twenty something's going overboard after drinking and doing stupid things like climbing over railings and leaning over.

It's sad to hear and I would be interested to know the circumstances.

How does one generally fall overboard on a cruise ship?

1. Alcohol
  2. Suicide
  3. Murder
  4. Darwin like behavior

Geir Arne is probably the best Capt I have ever sailed with and I have sailed with many in my 100+ cruises. The crew and guests adore him and he will handle this as well as he can. I can say the biggest thing happening now is all of the amateur Agatha Christies onboard with a new version of Murder on the Orient Express.

if the FBI is involved they will not release the ship until they want to. I wonder if the woman was American or another nationality?

I guess nobody from CC is onboard or we would have heard more details.

Edit: Ship departed Bar Harbor at 16:00 and is enroute to Halifax.

Edited by cruisr

In this case it appears there may have been an external influence as the FBI is taking the case from the Coast Guard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

The FBI will get involved in all cases to rule out foul play under U.S jurisdiction .

Edited by Suite Travels

In this case it appears there may have been an external influence as the FBI is taking the case from the Coast Guard

I don't think there's anything to support that. The Coast Guard is not an investigative agency. It's foreign-flag ship at sea in US waters on an international itinerary. The FBI normally handles such investigations.

Not true. they do get involved if state lines are crossed. She boarded in MA and was found dead in ME waters. This crossed state lines and hence FBI is called in.

New reports say ...

"The FBI is working jointly with the Coast Guard to investigate the incident as they have jurisdiction over any incident on the high seas."

New reports say ...

"The FBI is working jointly with the Coast Guard to investigate the incident as they have jurisdiction over any incident on the high seas."

Was the ship in Intl. Waters or still in US waters? what constitutes "high seas" That terms sound like something an intern at a news agency would use.

So does that mean the FBI investigates an incident on a foreign flagged carrier in Europe or elsewhere? Is it only if the victim s a U.S. Citizen?

I think I will go to the FBI site as I am truly curious about that type of scenario.

I don't think there's anything to support that. The Coast Guard is not an investigative agency. It's foreign-flag ship at sea in US waters on an international itinerary. The FBI normally handles such investigations.

Actually the Coast Guard has had it's own investigative branch since 1915:)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg2/cgis/default.asp

I don't think there's anything to support that. The Coast Guard is not an investigative agency. The deceased woman was a passenger on a foreign-flag ship at sea in US waters on an international itinerary. The FBI normally handles such investigations.

Not true. they do get involved if state lines are crossed. She boarded in MA and was found dead in ME waters. This crossed state lines and hence FBI is called in.

The incident was reported about 10 miles from Cape Ann, Massachusetts, and the remains were recovered by the harbormasters of Rockport, Massachusetts. The ship had not entered any other state since departing from a Massachusetts port.

There was a fairly well-publicized case of a newly-wed American man who disappeared under mysterious circumstances on a Royal Caribbean ship in the Mediterranean while on a honeymoon cruise. The FBI investigated that case. I don't know what the criteria is for FBI taking over investigations, but I know they did that one.

There was a fairly well-publicized case of a newly-wed American man who disappeared under mysterious circumstances on a Royal Caribbean ship in the Mediterranean while on a honeymoon cruise. The FBI investigated that case. I don't know what the criteria is for FBI taking over investigations, but I know they did that one.

The FBI is empowered to investigate a crime/potential crime against American citizens, irregardless of where in the world the crime is committed.