Woman Overboard on Seabourn Quest

WonderMan3

The word on the ship is that the act was willful on the part of the woman.

If indeed this was a willful act of this person,what would have compelled her to select this venue.When to us a Seabourn cruise is a celebration of a life and living.This is very strange and sad story,probably we will never know what was in her mind.

If indeed this was a willful act of this person,what would have compelled her to select this venue.When to us a Seabourn cruise is a celebration of a life and living.This is very strange and sad story,probably we will never know what was in her mind.

Yes, to the overwhelming majority of us, a SB cruise is indeed a wonderful celebration. However, mental illness/depression is a mysterious and powerful force...

Also, I've heard from some crew members that it is not so uncommon that elderly and/or sick people near the end of their life go on a cruise hoping or planning to die.

We have friends onboard. They have said she jumped from the top deck 4 hours into the cruise. The Captain and crew are devastated. It is a very sad situation for all involved and I feel for her family.

Did someone see her jump? This is a very sad situation. I've cruised a lot and can't imagine someone falling off a deck. Was she on a public deck or in a private suite?

The air about the ship must be so thick it could be cut with a knife. Not only the family but passengers/crew are torn between somber/morning and being up-beat and pleasant to all the guests. A lot of the guests are usually celebrating birthdays or anniversaries and this must be putting a damper on their celebrations…

I have a meeting with the Hotel Director on the Quest this Monday. Will try to find out what’s the protocol for passengers and crew when a death happens to someone onboard?

It is, of course, a terrible situation. If in fact she did take her own life, why on earth would she do it in such a way as to negatively impact hundreds (maybe thousands if you count the searchers) of strangers? I understand depression, bad health issues, and other reasons that can cause one to want to end it all but why be so self centered as to do it like this, if in fact that is what happened? There are many ways to accomplish the deed which involves medicines that most of us have readily available which would be no more dramatic than simply going to sleep. I guess I just don't understand the need for the drama. Here's hoping all on board can move on.

What's sad about a suicide like this is that it most likely wasn't instant. And in most cases people who attempt suicide and survive will tell you that they regretted it immediately after they attempted it. Its heartbreaking.

It's interesting to read the tales of Golden Gate bridge jump survivors. It seems a good number of them realized they'd made the wrong choice. Part way down.

The sad reality is that suicide, except in cases of intractable pain or terminal illness, if often a supremely selfish act with no regard for the impact it will have on the survivors who are left behind to deal with the emotional fallout.

Also, it is interesting that the majority of people who make unsuccessful attempts do not make subsequent attempts, either because they receive care or come to realize that there are more compelling reasons to live than to die.

This blog seems to be talking a lot about the passenger committing suicide. Is that what all the other passengers have heard? I can't imagine someone actually jumping off a cruise ship. One describes the tension on the ship that passengers are confused and concerned about how they celebrate. Has there been any mention of this woman jumping instead of falling? I'm very disturbed that there is so much talk of suicide, does anyone know this woman?

Don't know if it's true in this case, but people do deliberately go overboard. They have either talked about it or written their intentions. Usually it seems to be toward or at the end of the cruise, though. In the beginning seems different from the norm. If it really is suicide rather than an impulsive act.

Reading this thread, I am unsure why suicide is so shocking: According to the Centers for Disease Control, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in America. For women ages 18-44, it is the fourth leading cause of death. For women 45-64, it is the 8th leading cause of death.

• 2 weeks later...

For thoses with inquiring minds. Still a big deal on board. A woman jumped from their room on the tenth floor, starboard side. It was a couple that just ordered a drink to their room and right after she jumped, husband starting screaming out of the room to the observation lounge. Ship spotted her and placed flares out. They lost sight of her while turning around.

For thoses with inquiring minds. Still a big deal on board. A woman jumped from their room on the tenth floor, starboard side. It was a couple that just ordered a drink to their room and right after she jumped, husband starting screaming out of the room to the observation lounge. Ship spotted her and placed flares out. They lost sight of her while turning around.

This update breaks my heart!

Sadly ironic that this occurred during National Suicide Prevention Week here in the states.

I lost a childhood friend to a similar fate five years ago this month after she got out of her car in rush hour traffic, tucked a note under the windshield wiper, and lept to her death from a bridge into the river below. Her last message to us all was a change in her Facebook profile status to an ominous "Think You May Not Know".

"Not know" captures the collective wisdom of almost all who knew her. In fact, she was due to return to our hometown that weekend for her high school reunion (and she was even on the planning committee).

So it's hard to say why people do these things or choose where or when to do them. We later learned from her husband that it was not her first attempt.

Very tragic on all accounts. I can only imagine what that poor woman must have been feeling. And I can certainly appreciate how shaken everyone must be.

Some of these blogs are saying the woman jumped from the 10th deck, starboard side.......are you sure of that? Were you on the cruise when this happened? This is such a tragedy, I can't imagine anyone saying that she jumped unless you are certain that's what happened. How do you know that they ordered a drink? Just wondering where this information is coming from.

Any more information on incident?

I wonder whether this happens all the time. It was very strange the Captain posting a picture and disccussing the lobsters he bought on his Facebook page on the day after the incident. May be he was just trying to lighten the mood.