Equinox - 10 Day Sailing = March 2015 - Quick Review

RickT

Just winding down after a wonderful 10 day cruise and thought I'd take the time to write a quick review. Please feel free to ask questions, will respond as I have time.

To sum up the review, The Sky Isn't Falling... contrary to many complaints you read on this forum.

Boarding was quick and painless. Like others we received an e-mail saying to show up for boarding at 2:00 PM. That's a little late so we grabbed a quick lunch and were at the pier around 1:00. No problem arriving early with quick moving lines and we were probably checked in an onboard by 1:30.

One nice change was they now took your picture for your room card as you check in. No more waiting for your picture to be taken as soon as you board.

Short lineup to actually board the ship and in traditional Celebrity fashion we were greated by waitstaff offering up a glass of wine or Mimosa. We walked straight to our cabin (2B verandah, forward starboard side). It was clean and ready.

Cabin

Standard 2B verandah. Bed near the washroom with an unobsrtucted view. Just a couple cabins in front of the forward elevator. Great location and in good condition with no rust on the railings or blemishes in the bathroom/carpet. I posted comments on the S-Class sticky (7192).

Our cabin staff were the "You turn your back and your cabin got cleaned" type of guys. They kept to themselves more than on other cruises but quickly cleaned the cabin and got you whatever you needed for quickly and without fuss.

Meals

We signed up for Select dining but wound up getting seeated at a great table with great servers (Olexandre and Gustavo) so we asked for that table for the rest of the cruise. We were accommodated most nights and were given a table in the same area (with the same servers) if there was any problem.

Overall the meal quality was very good. The only complaint I had was that the menus haven't changed all that much since our Aug 2014 cruise which I guess is to be expected. As mentioned our servers were excellent and we usually deferred to their recommendations.

We did not pre-book Tuscan or Murano but took advantage of 20% discounts being offered. We simply asked on the one night we wanted to go to Tuscan (around 5:00 PM that day) and were able to get a nice 2 seat table near the windows. An awesome meal well worth the $36 we wound up paying. We weren't sure about going to Murano but when a person at the bar next to us mentioned being offered a 20% discount earlier, we walked over and got a nice 2 person table for later that night. Both the meal and service were excellent and at only $40 rather than the regular $50 we appreciated the savings.

We usually ate at the Oceanview Cafe for Breakfast and Lunch but also found the Mast Grill serving up excellent Hamburgers. We normally eat a light breakfast and lunch and could always find something was tasty and to our liking. My only complaint about the Oceanview was the long line ups to get Sushi. Usually longer than I felt like waiting in.

Drink Package

We received the Classic Package as part of our booking and decided to upgrade to the Premium Package to give us more variety and to not have to worry about what was and wasn't covered by our package (we had the classic on our August cruise and really didn't have any issues but thought we'd splurge a little more on this just to compare).

We loved the Premium Package and found there to be a lot more choices because of it. We found a few wines we really liked that were above the $13 threshold and didn't mind paying the extra $2-4 every now and then. It was also nice to have the Molecular Bar, Martinis and the Perrier available.

Cafe Al Bacio was our usual morning stop. Awesome staff, always smiling and knowing your name and what you prefered.

All was not sunshine and roses however. The two complaints we had were long line ups at the various bars and difficulty finding nice wines at the bars (no issue with nice wines in the dining room). I understand things can get busy but the wait at most of the bars was far longer than it had been on other cruises and probably could have been fixed but putting a few more people on staff. The bartenders were friendly but did seem over worked. We also had to search for the nicer wines. Most of the bars had you basic red and whites. To find the good ones you had to go to the Gastro Pub or Ensemble. Would be nice if Celebrity included some of the better (but still within the Premium package) at more bars. Once we figured it out those were our usual stopping places at night.

Entertainment

We are not big "show" folks so other than the Cirque style show we really can't report on anything else. The Cirque show was great and really enjoyable. It was probably as close as you can get to a regular Cirque show without spending $150 to see it.

There were a number of bands which were all good or better. The house band "Front Row" could normally be heard in the Grand Foyer or in the Sky lounge with a daily appearance at the pool. Overall they were good but had a limited song selection. There was also a guitar player (Canaan Cox) who was a bit "twangy" but otherwise very good and enjoyable to listen to especially at the Wine and Cheese party on the law. The only entertainer that I didn't like was Miami DJ. Sorry, but a DJ and Drummer making noise just isn't my thing. From talking to other people, you either loved them or hated them, not many folks in the middle.

Compared to other Celebrity cruises I felt there was less effort being made on the overall entertainment. It was OK but with only 2 deck parties and one "Miami" party in the acqua spa there wasn't a lot of "extra" stuff going on compared to other cruises.

I also heard none of the excessively loud pool music that others have complained about. I perhaps leaned the other way and found lots of times when there was minimal music being played or performed.

Spa/Gym/Misc

The gym is well equipped and clean. Rarely used so no problem getting any of the machines. Didn't try and of the classes.

Did not use any of the Spa services. Did not find them overly pushy either which was nice. Sometimes it felt like you were running the gauntlet trying to get into the gym.

The shops had the same old stuff but as with the Spa, never anyone in your face trying to sell you anything but always there to help if you had any questions.

Summary

Another enjoyable Celebrity cruise with no indication that things are getting worse as others have reported. We found all the staff friendly and seemed to care about the passengers and their jobs. The officers were always around and ready to chat.

The ship, food, staff were all top notch and not all that different from the many other Celebrity cruises I've taken. I will have no hesitation booking another Celebrity cruise.

Edited by RickT

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the Equinox review I think it is my favourite ship. You mention about the sea pass pictures... We have never had our Seapass picture taken anywhere but the check in counter.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the Equinox review I think it is my favourite ship. You mention about the sea pass pictures... We have never had our Seapass picture taken anywhere but the check in counter.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Our last few cruises have been out of Europe so perhaps that's why.

Thanks for the review.....we have 2 future cruises booked on Equinox....one of our fav ships.

How were your ports?

we agree about Miami DJ with drum but they seem popular at the Martini bar ...we just avoid going to wherever they play...

Did you hear anything about the future of Gastro Bar, Molecular Bar or new menus at Bistro on 5?

Rick:

Very nice review.... appreciate your time and effort.

Could you please tell me more about the wine & cheese on the lawn? How was it? When and what was offered? Was it listed in the daily?

Thanks!

Rick;

Do you recall the order of menus? Any details you can remember about the main entree's would be appreciated. I assume the Welcome Aboard Gala was the first sea day and Lobster was the 3rd sea day?

Edited by Aloha 1

I have most of the daily's which should answer a bunch of questions. Just need to scan them and figure out the best way to post them here.

Will also answer some of the questions as I have time (busy getting caught up at work :))

Thanks for the review. I noticed that you are a Canadian and I was wondering if you had any problems debarking the ship in Ft. Lauderdale. We have a pretty early flight home (10:50 am) and would hate to miss it.

How were your ports?

Did you hear anything about the future of Gastro Bar, Molecular Bar or new menus at Bistro on 5?

We'd been to all the ports except Domenica before and they were fine. Nice weather and nothing unexpected. We felt the weakest port was St. Kitts with Domenica being the biggest surprise.

We were told that the Molecular Bar would be gone shortly but nothing on Gastro or Bistro. We did however notice that the Gastro Pub was quite popular while Bistro on Five was usually fairly empty.

Rick:

Could you please tell me more about the wine & cheese on the lawn? How was it? When and what was offered? Was it listed in the daily?

Thanks!

Wine and Cheese was during the sail away from Domenica. It was fantastic with a large turn out of passengers and servers. Music was provided by the guitar player. It was listed on the daily.

Would you happen to know at what time they have glass shows and if Zumba classes are offered?

There was a sheet you could pick up from the gym that listed all the times/days of the classes. They were also listed on the dailies (see above posting of them).

Rick;

Do you recall the order of menus? Any details you can remember about the main entree's would be appreciated. I assume the Welcome Aboard Gala was the first sea day and Lobster was the 3rd sea day?

After 10 days the menus became a bit of a blur. I don't recall the first night being anything special on the 1st day and went for the usual day 1 roast beef. Lobster (caribbean) was served on the 2nd formal night which was the 2nd last sea day.

Edited by RickT

Thanks for the review. I noticed that you are a Canadian and I was wondering if you had any problems debarking the ship in Ft. Lauderdale. We have a pretty early flight home (10:50 am) and would hate to miss it.

Luckily there was only the Equinox, Connie and one HAL ship in port. We requested an 8:00 AM departure, were given an 8:20 departure and were off the ship by 8:30. Baggage and customs were nuts (too many bags, not enough customs agents (5 I think). Unlike other cruises there wasn't a separate Canadian citizen line so we moved at the same pace as everyone else. We were outside the terminal by 9:15. So, given the same situation you should be OK, but I'd definitely request an earlier departure or perhaps choose to self debark.

I was wondering how it cost to upgrade drink pkg and did you do it before sailing or after boarding ?

I'm canadian so my pricing will be different, but in US $ it was $10 per day plus tip ($1.80 now). A quick call to Celebrity a few weeks before departure was how I upgraded but if you have a decent shipboard credit it can also be upgraded at any of the bars for the same price.

Rick;

Nice job on the dailies postings but there's one page missing. Can you post the page that lists the dining hours and the chef's recommendation in the MDR? That's the key to which menu is being served on which day. And thanks!

Rick;

Nice job on the dailies postings but there's one page missing. Can you post the page that lists the dining hours and the chef's recommendation in the MDR? That's the key to which menu is being served on which day. And thanks!

Day 1 - Homestyle Pork Chop

Day 2 - BBQ Glazed Cobia "Black Salmon"

Day 3 - Top Chef At Sea menu

Day 4 - Slow Braised Lamb Wrapped in Phyllo

Day 5 - Oven Roasted chicken Saltimbocca

Day 6 - Veal Cordon Bleu

Day 7 - Broiled Australian Sea Bass

Day 8 - Pork and Beans

Day 9 - Lamb Chops Provencal

Day 10 - Sauteed Duck Breast

Day 1 - Homestyle Pork Chop

Day 2 - BBQ Glazed Cobia "Black Salmon"