Provence (toulon) france

1granny2

We were in Toulon in July. A couple of things to consider: what day are you there? We were there on a Sunday and many/most shops were closed, as it would be on a Monday too. My dh and dd were planning on taking the Petit Train for a tour of the naval base. This tour is not running at the moment because the base is on high alert because of all the terrorist attacks. They took the other train tour around the city and quite enjoyed it while my other dd and i just walked around and explored the market. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Eight of us (including me) went on a wonderful tour with Roch Voyages http://www.transferts-service.com

Guided tour of the charming city of Aix, drive to Cassis, quick lunch, boat tour to see the famous inlets, drive along Crests Road

Sixteen members of our group went on the Provence Wine Tour

http://www.provencewinetours.com and raved about it.

Eight of us (including me) went on a wonderful tour with Roch Voyages http://www.transferts-service.com

Guided tour of the charming city of Aix' date=' drive to Cassis, quick lunch, boat tour to see the famous inlets, drive along Crests Road

Sixteen members of our group went on the Provence Wine Tour

http://www.provencewinetours.com and raved about it.[/quote']

A few years ago, a friend and I took the train from Toulon to Cassis. A lovely little seaside village. Met many other people off the ship in Cassis and everyone enjoyed there time in the village. If time permits there are also boat tours of the Calanque ( spelling might not be correct.

A few years ago, a friend and I took the train from Toulon to Cassis. A lovely little seaside village. Met many other people off the ship in Cassis and everyone enjoyed there time in the village. If time permits there are also boat tours of the Calanque ( spelling might not be correct.

I would not recommend Cassis in November. The town begins to shut down for the season, the boats stop running out to the Calanques, and on a Monday, a lot of the good restaurants are closed.

The train station is over 1 km away from the village. A nice walk downhill, but a real hike uphill going back.

There is an active Roll Call for the November 5th cruise and you might check there for ideas or join a group. Aix is quite nice and last year the Christmas market was open. Aix is my first choice. You could also go to Marseille either by tour or train, but check for possible transportation strikes. The Celebrity Tour is fine and leaves you some time to explore. Once again the Christmas market may be open. Saint Tropez is interesting, but not on this cruise.

Thanks very much. Will check out the roll call. Also good to know Celebrity has a tour.

Go to Celebrity site and then go to My Celebrity. You will need to set a user ID and password. You can then access your cruise and do the online documents. You can also access the Celebrity excursions for your cruise and book any you wish. I usually wait to book while on the ship so I can use my OBC.

Last time we were in Toulon we rented Bicycles. A company called Ma bicyclette bleue was setup right at the pier. We enjoyed a nice ride into the city (mostly on bike paths) and enjoyed the open air market. Later in the day we biked back towards the ship and continued on to the beach area.

If you are reasonably fit this might be a good option.

We are visiting Toulon in November as well. I am having difficulty walking so I need a fairly easy day. Any recommendations?

Thanks

The ship will dock at Le Seyne-sur-Mer. You could take the water taxi into Toulon, walk the seaport, have lunch, and visit one of the Maritime museums. It's the homeport for the French Navy.

Another option would be to head out to Sanary-sur-Mer. It's a quaint little fishing village. They will probably have a morning market on the sea front, and you could have a nice lunch before heading back.

Both options would be OK for the mobility challenged as there are no hills or cobblestones as I can remember.

Getting together on your Roll Call to set up a tour to Aix would be another option. They have a lot of walking streets, shops, and some great outdoor seating restaurants.

We were there on a Sunday, did the X Best of Provence excursion, and didn't really notice any shops closed due to the day.

I did a longer review about our cruise this past July, but an excerpt on Toulon was:

Port of Toulon, Provence Region, France (Day 2):

We did a best of Provence Tour through X. Visited several seaside towns, had some free time for lunch (opted for inexpensive pizza-bread from a bakery and bottled water, <8 euros for a light lunch for two of us), bus ride tour back include a drive through Marseille. We felt like we got a nice basic overview of the region and were fine having booked through X (prebooked online).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2389098

Guided tour of the charming city of Aix' date=' drive to Cassis, quick lunch, boat tour to see the famous inlets, drive along Crests Road

[/quote']

I also used Roch Voyages back in November 2011 for a group tour. We had a fabulous day with Delphine as our driver/guide.

If you have any interest in art, consider a visit to Cezanne's studio....it's just as he left it. Amazing.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

• 4 weeks later...