Which cruise line ????

jwim

Hello ,

We have been on only 1 cruise Disney Fantasy this past April and we were looking to book another through Disney but the price has gone up significantly.... We had an amazing time !!!! Which cruise line would you recommend for a family that would be comparable to the service and the atmosphere ? We live in Vermont , but can board at a port on the East cost.

Thank you !

Comparing service and atmosphere I would stay away from Royal Caribbean. I've sailed both them and Disney and can tell you the service and atmosphere in Royal was no where near what it was on Disney. Not even close. Like comparing a Motel 6 in Branson to the Grand Floridian in Disney World.

I haven't been in MSC or Carnival but assume they would be the same as Royal. You might want to look towards Princess. My brother has taken his family in them, Royal, Disney, and NCL and the kids liked Disney best followed by Princess. My brother said the service was about as good as Disney, the food was close, and they atmosphere was enjoyable.

FYI, they hated NCL. Bad food, long lines and poor communication, bad cabins, just nothing to like.

Hello,

First, Welcome to Cruise Critic, a GREAT source of all things cruise related. Although I am a fairly "new" member, I have followed the Cruise Critic Boards for years, and they have been an invaluable source of information.

You might want to provide a bit more info too, that could assist in getting even more responses. (We are "family" that travels too...ages 50-87 :D, so might want different offerings than a "family" with young kids)

*ages?

*What did you enjoy most about Disney? Kids stuff? Adult only venues?

*where do you want to cruise to next?

*Did you enjoy the size of the Fantasy? Want bigger/smaller, newer/older?

*Length of desired cruise?

Then, just browse different cruise line web sights; browse the many threads here on Cruise Critic; lots of YouTube videos available; and do try other Lines, we have sailed on 6 Lines so far, and although we have never had a bad cruise, we have yet to find that "one" line we would stick to with unfailing loyalty ! So many ships, so many options, so many paces yet to see !:):)

BBL

Planning is a wonderful part of the whole cruise experience !

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

I too welcome you to Cruise Critic.

Honestly none of the lines will be quite comparable to Disney. Disney is very special and what they offer is very unique.

May I ask what are the ages of your children as that would be a factor in a recommendation.

I would also recommend that no matter what input you get here that you speak with a travel agent who specializes in cruises as you can talk through with them what it is you and your children liked about Disney and any concerns you might have as well. Basically your likes and dislikes.

Keith

Comparing service and atmosphere I would stay away from Royal Caribbean. I've sailed both them and Disney and can tell you the service and atmosphere in Royal was no where near what it was on Disney. Not even close. Like comparing a Motel 6 in Branson to the Grand Floridian in Disney World.

A lot has changed on RCI since 9 years ago when you sailed them 1 time. Most people who have actually sailed RCI recently, especially on one of the Freedom Class or newer ships that have contracted Broadway productions, Dreamworks, etc, on board, feel much different than you.

A lot has changed on RCI since 9 years ago when you sailed them 1 time. Most people who have actually sailed RCI recently, especially on one of the Freedom Class or newer ships that have contracted Broadway productions, Dreamworks, etc, on board, feel much different than you.

Actually the reviews are a mixed bag, particularly if you take out the cheerleaders who are emotionally attached as they have spent enough money with Royal to get a couple of free drinks each time they cruise. I have several friends and neighbors who have been in them in recent years who will not return. As far as Broadway shows, it seems that most leave halfway through Cats, so that doesn't seem like it would be anything to brag about.

Well it's a shame helpful boards like this have to be soured by agendas from people who are overly for or against a cruise line. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to stay factual. In the past 2 years, I've cruised 5 mass market cruise lines, 4 of which were this year...RCI, Celebrity, Princess, HAL, and NCL.

Without a doubt, the line that comes closest to the short stint I did on Disney Fantasy is RCI, especially the new ships with top notch entertainment, Dreamworks, etc. The others, while great cruise lines in their own right (except NCL, in my opinion), are a lot more dissimilar to Disney.

To the op, here is a very recent article put of by CNN a few days ago. It might be worth your time to give it a read. Also, take a look at the annual cruise line/ship awards reported by Cruise Critic. You'll see they tend to agree with my assessment.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/travel/top-cruise-lines-rankings/

Hello,

We are taking 2 of our grand children (9-10) during the first 2 weeks of Dec 2015 in Orlando and on a Caribbean cruise. We have debated between Disney, RCL and our favorite cruise line: Celebrity. Our back ground: we have experienced only 3 cruise lines; Cunard, HAL,Celebrity and 5 cruises from 7 days to 24 days in the Caribbean and Mediterranean/Greek islands.

As we don't see our grand children often, we want to bound with them as much as we can. Here is our pros and cons for the above 3 options.

Disney

- Pros: Classy, great service, fireworks at night...

- Cons: After 1 week at Disney World, we think experiencing something different than Mickey/Minnie would be welcomed. Expensive.

RCL

- Pros: Lots of different experiences to discover for our grand children

- Cons: Service not as great as Celebrity/HAL/Queen MaryII, too many people, waiting in line, loud, brief too much "stuff" around to distract all of us from what is important: each other.

Celebrity

- Pros: Elegant, great service, great shows, itinerary, beautiful ship with grass on top deck, not that many kids so our grand children will have all the attention of the employees.

- Cons: Not many kids...

So after weighting the pros and cons, we have decided to book Celebrity Reflexion. As it's only a 7-day cruise, they can not get board with only 2 Sea Days on the ship as there will not be a lot of children. I think it's the perfect decision for our ultimate goal: quality time in a beautiful surrounding. We really don't want the "bumping cars" or "zip lines" monopolizing our grand children mind. We want to watch the beautiful shows at night then to go our room and talk of our days with them. Express how grateful we are to be able to experience this cruise when so many people in the world can't... Make them sit back, relax and be appreciative over being on the go all the time.

We hope we did help you a bit.

Which cruise line would you recommend for a family that would be comparable to the service and the atmosphere ?

Comparable to service and atmosphere? None. If what entices you is the overall magical experience then only Disney can do the Disney way. Having said that, there are plenty of other mass market cruiselines that will provide different types of atmosphere and experience. Royal Caribbean and Holland America are probably on two opposite extremes of the scale, but we like both of them for different reasons ... so does Disney.

I've taken my kids on both Disney and Royal and they actually prefer Royal. They were 9 and 11 on the last Royal cruise. They loved all of the fun features like rock climbing and ice skating. As a parent, I think Disney was great when they were younger. So my vote would be Royal if they are older.

For what it's worth, I was on NCL earlier this month and with Dora and Spongebob walking around and the parties I saw their kids' club having I think I would give them a chance with kids. I don't think they would be up to Disney standards but for the much lower price it would still be a good time.

The people suggesting Royal Caribbean have it exactly right and I'll tell you why. At least, I'll tell you what I've observed over the past few years. Unlike some people on this thread who shall remain nameless, I have sailed all of RCI's ship classes and both Disney ship classes within the past 5 years, and as a frequent cruiser (12-15/yr), I have also cruised Carnival, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Azamara, Oceania and Regent in the past few years. The only reason I'm naming all those is to show that I can make this comparison from experience, not just from what I've heard or based on 1 cruise many years ago.

Disney used to be an EXCELLENT cruise line. It still is, but ever since they built the Dream and Fantasy, they seem to have lost a touch of what made them special on the 2 smaller ships - Wonder and Magic. This isn't a flame in any way shape or form on Disney - I just think their 2 newer ships feel a little more mass market than Disney used to feel.

On the other hand, RCI has come a loooong way with their ships and entertainment. Oasis was a game changer and it was so successful, they are actively "Oasisizing" all their other ships by adding certain popular Oasis features, like the touch screen televisions in all the stairways.

I also just spent 2 nights on the new Quantum. OMG!!!! Once they got the new ship kinks worked out, the ship was beyond awesome - and very beautiful I might add.

Anyways - back to the comparision. Disney is known for world class entertainment. RCI has seen their bet and raised them. Mama Mia is on Quantum and will soon by on Allure - and what a FABULOUS show it is. Hairspray is being added to Freedom. Saturday Night Fever is on Liberty, and Cats is on Oasis. The Anthem of the Seas show is yet to be announced. The ice shows are unique and excellent. The outdoor Aqua Theater shows on Oasis Class are also awesome. Plus, they are now adding Flowriders to Voyager Class ships.

As for the kids. I frequently travel with a group who has kids ranging from 9 to 16. They prefer RCI and say they think the arcades and kids clubs on the RCI big ships are better than Disney. They love Disney also, but I've heard them say they think the Disney kids clubs are better for younger children, not the teenagers.

Carnival and NCL have also come a long way with their ships. The waterslides on CCL Dream Class and NCL Breakaway Class are excellent, but it pretty much ends there.

So in short -if you're looking for another cruise line you'll love as much as Disney, I think the closest you can get is RCI.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

I would stay away from Celebrity and Royal Carribbean since neither cruise lines recognize their loyal customers.

My husband and I are senior citizens and recently had to cancel a cruise with Celebrity due to health issues. The cruise was still 155 days from departure, but Celebrity has retained our $900 deposit. I explained that I was diagnosis with Lupus just one week after my reservation, but Celebrity refused to issue a future cruise credit. I didn’t even ask for a refund – just a future cruise credit.

Celebrity failed to issue my cruise confirmation until 18 days after my reservation. It was at that time that I noticed that no CruiseCare insurance was added to my reservation. It was too late to add insurance that would cover pre-existing conditions. Celebrity stated that because insurance wasn’t taken, they will not issue a credit. They take no responsibility for the delay in issuing my confirmation and have retained our $900 deposit.

Since I am a Diamond member, I am dump-founded how $900 equate to losing a customer. Celebrity (and RCCL which is owned by the same company) has no sense of fairness and shows no customer care to their loyal patrons.

BEWARE

For a family cruise, similar to Disney, I would suggest RCCL ships as everyone has mentioned above and also NCL ships: Epic, Breakaway and Getaway. These ships have Cirque du Soliel, Blue Man Group or Broadway shows, full scale water parks and ropes courses. The kids clubs are BUSY. On NCL, I would recommend you choose a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom Villa in The Haven (sleeps 6). If you are in a Penthouse or above on NCL, the service is outstanding and the experience in The Haven is fantastic! The suites are beautiful and you will love the Master Bathroom! You get butler service and snacks delivered to your stateroom each afternoon, free flower arrangement for your suite, bottle of champagne on boarding, eat in the special Haven restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner (included) or you can eat in any of the other restaurants on the ship. You get butler service, robes, pillow menu, just about anything you can think of to make your cruise special. The suites have DVD players so you can bring any movies you want to watch or rent pay per view as well. The Haven area has: pool, hot tub, sauna, gym. The best food on the ship is in The Haven restaurant and then in the specialty dining restaurants. Since NCL is inexpensive compared to other lines (even in suites), I just add in the cost of the specialty dining package and consider it part of the price of the cruise.

I would stay away from Celebrity and Royal Carribbean since neither cruise lines recognize their loyal customers.

My husband and I are senior citizens and recently had to cancel a cruise with Celebrity due to health issues. The cruise was still 155 days from departure, but Celebrity has retained our $900 deposit. I explained that I was diagnosis with Lupus just one week after my reservation, but Celebrity refused to issue a future cruise credit. I didn’t even ask for a refund – just a future cruise credit.

Celebrity failed to issue my cruise confirmation until 18 days after my reservation. It was at that time that I noticed that no CruiseCare insurance was added to my reservation. It was too late to add insurance that would cover pre-existing conditions. Celebrity stated that because insurance wasn’t taken, they will not issue a credit. They take no responsibility for the delay in issuing my confirmation and have retained our $900 deposit.

Since I am a Diamond member, I am dump-founded how $900 equate to losing a customer. Celebrity (and RCCL which is owned by the same company) has no sense of fairness and shows no customer care to their loyal patrons. BEWARE

This makes no sense to me. There is something else going on here that you aren't telling us.

Celebrity's refund policy is clearly published on it's website, in it's brochures and on it's cruise contracts. Briefly, the policy is that a full refund will be given if cancellation is 70 days prior to sailing (60 days for short cruises). No travel insurance is needed for cancellations that far in advance. Here is the link to the website FAQ detailing this policy (look about 1/4 way down the page):

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#1

Did you book through a travel agent? If you did, perhaps they have their own cancellation policies? What you describe is certainly not Celebrity's.

Celebrity's policy is clear. There has to be something else going on. It might not be Celebrity's doing, but something on your end.

Edited by fortinweb

Since I am a Diamond member, I am dump-founded how $900 equate to losing a customer. Celebrity (and RCCL which is owned by the same company) has no sense of fairness and shows no customer care to their loyal patrons.

BEWARE

I'm equally as confused as fortinweb. 155 days out is long before final payment date, so you would get 100% refund. Why didn't you get refunded? :confused:

Comparing service and atmosphere I would stay away from Royal Caribbean. I've sailed both them and Disney and can tell you the service and atmosphere in Royal was no where near what it was on Disney. Not even close. Like comparing a Motel 6 in Branson to the Grand Floridian in Disney World.[/Quote]

There is nothing of value gained from a biased opinion based on one cruise that occurred almost a decade ago. That poster should know that things change over time. I'm not surprised that she continues to roll out that dust covered opinion in the hopes of trying to influence people away from Royal Caribbean. A post pushing a personal agenda will do more harm than good to an otherwise valuable thread.

Readers beware!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Actually the reviews are a mixed bag, particularly if you take out the cheerleaders who are emotionally attached as they have spent enough money with Royal to get a couple of free drinks each time they cruise. I have several friends and neighbors who have been in them in recent years who will not return. As far as Broadway shows, it seems that most leave halfway through Cats, so that doesn't seem like it would be anything to brag about.

Your campaign to poison Royal Caribbean is well known on these boards. I have no idea what bone you have to pick with that company, but you certainly use every opportunity possible to drag them through the mud all the while doing your best to steer people to your favorite cruise lines. And you accuse others of being cheerleaders! :rolleyes:

And I don't even cruise on Royal, so certainly can't be accused of being an "emotionally attached" cheerleader for Royal. What I am a cheerleader for is honest, unbiased reviews about cruise lines that people can actually gain value from. Not "emotionally attached" biases that only serve the poster's agenda.

Again, Reader beware!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Thank you all for all the helpful info !!!! Our kids are currently 7 and 14 yrs old. We are thinking of booking something for 4/2016. This past April we drove from VT to FL to board the Fantasy. When looking into options, I saw that the Carnival Pride will be at the Maryland Port ( much closer ) . Any opinions on this particular ship ?

Edited by jwim

depending on the age of the kids and school. MY husband and I cruised on the fantasy Sept 2013 and found a great deal right after school started.

We have no little children and actually went to meet up with a crew member we knew.

If you have to worry about booking around school they just look at all the options , Princess has a great kids program but so do most of the other lines.

Look at there calenders for fares. they are not all alike one week in either direction can make a difference. We use a TA who will look for deals

hope this helps Linda

Thank you all for all the helpful info !!!! Our kids are currently 7 and 14 yrs old. We are thinking of booking something for 4/2016. This past April we drove from VT to FL to board the Fantasy. When looking into options, I saw that the Carnival Pride will be at the Maryland Port ( much closer ) . Any opinions on this particular ship ?

No comment on the Carnival Pride per se, but generally speaking, cruiselines launch their newest and best ships (sailing the Bahamas/Caribbean itineraries) in Florida. Recently we see strategy changes a bit with new ships being launched at New York market (e.g. NCL, Royal Caribbean). That being said, older ships (which many are still very very good) are relocated to other markets, such as Baltimore. Go to the Carnival forum and do some research on the line and on the ship.

Edit: Disney Fantasy was launched only in 2012 and is one of the best in the industry and won lots of awards. Just be prepared when/if OP is comparing things on Disney Fantasy to Carnival Pride.

Edited by Friend100

i reead your first post and had not realized you had altready received so much input to other cruise lines.

that siad I will add a little.

Timing is everything and if your kids can take school workk and so it during or vefore a trip the cheapest time to travel is not the peak season.. I.e. easter. which now lasts for months instead of one week.

and for disney when school is out.

I have been on 50 cruises and on many difference lines. I have never cruised on Carnival but own Carnival stock simply because it gives me on board credit when I cruise princess which we wil be taking our 26th princess march 19th out of fort lauderdal to the carribean. We took a Royal carribean this may and June and had a trip booked on the new quatum but was really not to keen on that large of a ship so when friends we previouslycruied with invited us to so the princess with them MY ta cancelled our trip. Not sure why the person in a prevoius e mail did nto get a deposit back. Since we were cancelling prior to final payment I got all my deposit back. that was good since it was $900.

II like the sugggestion you look at what other folks say about ships and take some of the comments with a grain of salt and unless all the comments are all bad ignore a few. I think you will be happier gooing to fort lauderdal and cruising from there.

have a great trip