Best beach?

david's pop

In key west 6/24 on empress of the seas. Any beaches within walking distance of docking area? Thanks

Yes but it might not be what you are looking for. The beach at Simonton is at the dock-side end of Simonton and would only be maybe a ten minute walk. It has a nice restaurant / bar where you can buy a drink and something to eat. It's described here ---> http://lagerheadsbeachbar.com/

Pjk

Fort Zachary Taylor Beach is a state park within walking distance of the ship. It's not the greatest beach I have ever been on but will do in a pinch. The other thing we liked about it is you have a good view of the big cruise ships coming in to port. (Assuming they arrive after yours).

Edited by lynncarol

Another vote here for Fort Zachary Taylor Sate Park. There is a fee to enter as it is a state park. The beach is much bigger than at Simonton. The sand, however, is a course coral pebble. It certainly isn't Ipanema Beach's sugar sand or Fort Laudedale's long and broad beach. It does, however, have a nice snack bar, showers and restrooms. The forested area behind the beach has picnic tables and little BBQ pits.

I find the area quite scenic, but it isn't Waikiki. Still it could make for a very pleasant time, plus you'll get to tour the Civil War-era fort there and see some of the impressive coastal cannon from that period.

• 2 weeks later...

Many people would not consider Fort Zachary walking distance from the cruise ship dock. It is close to 2 miles and in hot weather can be a long, hot trudge.

I would take a cab, but personally I wouldn't recommend going there. In my opinion, this beach is overrated. The beach is mostly gravel and rock with very little sand and the water is only clear and calm in great weather conditions. I'm sure you will have much better beach options on your cruise.

If you just want to get a bit of sand on your feet, the beach suggested in the first post (Simonton Street Beach/Lagerheads) is an option. It is very close to the cruise ship docks and while very tiny, it is sandy and swimable with clear water most of the time. The other option is to walk down to the opposite end of Duval Street (about a mile) to South Beach where you can rent chairs and have a drink or snack from the beach bar there. Keep your expectations of any beach here low. This is not a beach destination.