How many ships in port is too many?

Cassicruiser

We will be cruising Alaska in May 2015, and I have found the port schedule for that month. In Skagway and Juneau, we will be one of 4 (big) ships in port, and in Icy Straight and Ketchikan one of 2. I am wondering how a small town copes with 4 ships on a port day (and the hordes of people on them).

I was surprised that this would be the case in May, as I would have though May was a little less busy.

For those that have experienced this, is it a problem, or no big deal?

We have the option of changing to a Southbound cruise instead of northbound, where there are less ships in some ports, but there are various other reasons why we would prefer not to. Just wondering if this is worth considering or not really?

Thanks for any insight.

Quite right, all of the ports are small but 4 ships a day has become the norm and they seem to handle it well. Now this is a far cry from when I crewed on an Alaskan cruise ship in 1963 that held about 350 pax and we were the only ship in port. :)

The ports do handle large numbers of people fairly well. And they have increased the ability of many people being able to take excursions. Yes, some tours will sell out - but that can happen anywhere.

We have been in Juneau with 6 ships -- and 2 of had to tender. Now that day it was mobbed everywhere.

If you are concerned about the number of ships/people -- then switch to the Southbound cruise.

You mentioned that you were surprised to find that so many ship would be in Alaska in May. A few years ago, after several hurricanes disrupted many cruises in the Caribbean, the cruise lines moved most of their ships out of the Caribbean and to other areas. And I have noticed that the Alaskan season has started earlier and ends later than when we first started cruising in Alaska.

Putter - i've enjoyed your past posting of photos from when you crewed.

Thank you, sadly in a clean up exercise about 12 years ago I threw out several trays of photo slides which I today am kicking my butt over. I watch eBay diligently each day and have purchased a few items of memobrelelia from those wonderful days.

Thanks so much for all your feedback. Good to know it's manageable, but obviously would be better to be the only ship in port!

Sweetsleep - I don't think that all the southbound cruises have less ships in port, I just checked the schedule for the cruise after ours on the Millennium, and on those particular days there happened to be fewer ships in some of the ports. But on looking again, there was only one port where it makes a big difference where there are 4 very large ships.

I am hoping that everyone disperses, and that if we have tours booked it won't be too much of a problem.

Would attractions like the cable car in Juneau and the zipline in Icy strait point have very long lines? I don't want to eat up 2 hours of the day waiting in line.... especially since a couple of our port days are shorter on the northbound.

Make sure to check for differences in the routes north vs south. Sometimes the ship will skip Glacier Bay and add Tracy Arm. With Tracy Arm you may not see a glacier or only see it from miles away.

I think that in ISP only one ship is allowed at a time. There may be more than one per day but the other one will leave before or after you do. SIL and grand-kids had a great time on the Ziprider in Jun 2014. One hour ride up and less than 3 minutes ride down.

Are you talking about the Mt Roberts tram? Lots of room for people and trails at the top. We never had much of a wait but always did it towards the end of the day when we were done with other things and the weather cleared up. In 2014 we skipped it. Don't know about a cable car?

Sightcrr

Make sure to check for differences in the routes north vs south. Sometimes the ship will skip Glacier Bay and add Tracy Arm. With Tracy Arm you may not see a glacier or only see it from miles away.

I think that in ISP only one ship is allowed at a time. There may be more than one per day but the other one will leave before or after you do. SIL and grand-kids had a great time on the Ziprider in Jun 2014. One hour ride up and less than 3 minutes ride down.

Are you talking about the Mt Roberts tram? Lots of room for people and trails at the top. We never had much of a wait but always did it towards the end of the day when we were done with other things and the weather cleared up. In 2014 we skipped it. Don't know about a cable car?

Sightcrr

I also read that only one ship is allowed in ISP at a time, but on the port schedule I see that Regatta is there with us. I think its a small ship but still another 800 or so people. Oh well....

Yes Mt Roberts is the one I'm thinking of, good idea to go at the end of the day.

I guess I need to look at the port times of the ships in port with us, and try and work our excursions around them. If we are there earlier (some ports we are there at 7am) we will try to be in town before the other ships arrive. After that we'll get out of town!

I also read that only one ship is allowed in ISP at a time, but on the port schedule I see that Regatta is there with us. I think its a small ship but still another 800 or so people. Oh well....

If the ships are scheduled for ISP next year the same way they did it this year, there will only be a one hour overlap.

One ship is preparing to depart (7 - 4) while the other one (3 - 10) is arriving, dropping anchor and lowering the tenders.

2014 ISP Ship Calendar.(pdf)

Edited by fleckle

Yes Mt Roberts is the one I'm thinking of, good idea to go at the end of the day.
The tram tickets are good all day, so people can go up and down as many times as they like throughout the day.

Edited by fleckle

Thanks Fleckle. Makes sense. I see that is the case for 26 May with Radiance, but we are there 25 May on Millennium. It shows only one ship there that day but on a different website - http://www.cruisett.com -

it shows Regatta there as well. I guess its ok as both ships together are only a few more people than one larger one. And it may be out of date.

Do check the time in port as well as the number of ships.

On the day our ship is in Juneau we are there by ourselves until 9am so if we get our excursions in early it should be less crowded and in the afternoon the 2 of the other ships leave before us so the shops near the ships shouldn't have too many crowds in the afternoon either : )