Daniel Johnsons Monkey and Sloth Hangout

locashaina

Hi there,

I am going to Roatan Bay in August on NCL Escape. I found the Monkey and Sloth hangout and became very excited. Only concern is it is only me and a friend traveling alone. There are concerns regarding safety since we are traveling alone. Just wondering if any women here booked this experience solo or in a pair?

Thanks in advance!

My next trip to Honduras is just under 2 years away. I'm really interested in seeing the sloths. I will be alone. Can anyone give more info on getting to the sloth hangout? Cost? Do they provide transportation? How far away from Coxen Hole is it?

My next trip to Honduras is just under 2 years away. I'm really interested in seeing the sloths. I will be alone. Can anyone give more info on getting to the sloth hangout? Cost? Do they provide transportation? How far away from Coxen Hole is it?

Do you really mean "two YEARS"? If so, things could be totally different by then!!

We will be visiting the sloth hangout in 3 weeks. Transportation from port (or hotel) plus entrance to the hangout is $20 per person. I do not know how far it is from Coxen Hole but I believe I read another thread on that - something about private vendors not being allowed to pick up there? Not sure. You will have to search that. But we will report back in a few weeks on our experience.

Also, if you search "Daniel Johnsons monkey and sloth hangout" on facebook, you can join the page and they are very quick in replying to messages for prices and availability. They could definitely answer your questions.

I'll be there with my sister in a couple of weeks!! I'll let you know when I get back if no one else has replied.

Please let me know anyways! The extra reassurance for my friend would be great! Ha, Thank you so much!

A friend and I were just there last week as part of a private tour we arranged. We're both in our late 20s and felt very comfortable, though we admittedly are both seasoned travelers. The monkeys were funny (they'll steal bobby pins from your hair!), and we got to hold the sweetest sloth. It's not a big sanctuary - it'll probably only take you 45 minutes to see everything AND play with the animals - so you'll want to schedule it with other excursions in Roatan.

A friend and I were just there last week as part of a private tour we arranged. We're both in our late 20s and felt very comfortable, though we admittedly are both seasoned travelers. The monkeys were funny (they'll steal bobby pins from your hair!), and we got to hold the sweetest sloth. It's not a big sanctuary - it'll probably only take you 45 minutes to see everything AND play with the animals - so you'll want to schedule it with other excursions in Roatan.

Thank you! We are both in our 20s so that is good to hear! I am so excited about this when I first heard of it.

My husband and I will be there next week, I am trying to decide on which excursion I want to book... looking for input on the zip line or snorkeling excursion... trying to decide which one would be best to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I went solo. Can't remember cost. Went in a van with others. Sloth was amazing. They let you hold it. They wouldn't let me as I'm in my 60's and I think the guy thought if the sloth grabbed me with its claws my skin would tear. Also monkeys and birds there.

I went solo. Can't remember cost. Went in a van with others. Sloth was amazing. They let you hold it. They wouldn't let me as I'm in my 60's and I think the guy thought if the sloth grabbed me with its claws my skin would tear. Also monkeys and birds there.
We are 70 and they let my wife hold the sloth while I took photos.
I took my 9 and 7 year olds last October. We did the monkeys and snorkel. The folks took good care of my family!! I had not safety concerns at all.

Thank you all! I was able to convince my friend to go!

I'm 71 and they let me hold all the animals. I really enjoyed it. We were on a tour we picked up in port.

Just returned. My daughter (23) and I went on our own - absolutely no safety concerns and had a wonderful time. I would highly recommend it. The instructions to find the transportation were very good and you definitely need them or you will be confused on where they pick you up. I kept thinking we were going in the wrong direction and then we saw the lady with the sign. They were kind enough to even stop at a pharmacy for us on the way back so we could find something needed onboard. Best excursion ever for only $20!

Thank you! Was your transportation through them directly?

It was. We just returned from a week in Roatan and we did visit Daniel Johnson's again. Our transportation was provided by them. It cost us $30 per person because we were staying on West Bay. It was a 30-40 minute drive to and from.

• 2 weeks later...

This was their message to me on Facebook a couple of weeks ago:

Reservation Note

Hello!

Thank you very much for your email! It would be a pleasure to help you enjoy Roatan and our Hangout!

If you are staying on the island and don't need transportation from us, and just wish to visit The Hangout, then entrance fee is only $10 per person. And you can come anytime during open hours:

Monday- Friday 9-3

Saturday 9-1

Sunday closed

We also offer the following excursion options. Any of the options below are also available to people staying on the island too! However, transportation price will vary depending on where you are staying on the island. [emoji1417]

We offer these different excursions:

-Island Tours with stops at the Monkey and Sloth Hangout! : In this tour you will get to visit the Monkey and Sloth Hangout, but before you will take a tour to the different little communities, stopping at different beautiful scenic picture taking spots! Along the way your driver and tour guide will be informing you about the history of the island. Then after the tour and stop at the Monkey and Sloth Hangout, there is an option to stop at Parrot Tree Resort to have lunch or jump in the ocean to cool off for the remainder of the day, until you have to go back to the ship AT LEAST one hour before it leaves!

30$ per person

We can also include Zip Lining for an additional 45$ each at the Pirates of the Caribbean Zip

-Transportation to and from your port of arrival to the Monkey and Sloth Hangout! : Here we will pick you up at the port you dock in and will drive you the park. There you will get to interact and play with the animals. After interacting and enjoying the animals, we will take you back to the port so you can continue on you other endeavors for the day! It includes the entrance fee to the Hangout.

20$ per person

-Monkey Snorkeling: Let us take you to show you our beautiful barrier reef which is the world's second largest! By doing either offshore snorkeling or inshore snorkeling on a beautiful 4 feet deep coral reef! On this excursion you will take a tour of the island and stop and play with our monkeys and sloths! After you monkey around with them, then we hop in a boat and go off to explore the beautiful under water sites !! After snorkeling, we then take you to the beautiful Parrot Tree Beach Resort to grab some lunch.

We include all snorkel gear and guide in the water!

45$ per person

All excursions include pick up and drop off at your ship at least ONE HOUR before your ship leaves!

Please note that none of the excursion prices include lunch. On the island tour excursion, or monkey snorkeling excursion, you're welcome to stop to purchase food at the price of whatever you wish to purchase. Parrot tree Resort has a restaurant on the beach!

Payment is done is USD Dollar Cash only

Kids 4 and under are free on all excursions!

Once you have read your different excursion options, please chose which one best fits your wishes and this out for us below. We will send you a confirmation with our meeting instructions:

-Groups reservation name:

-Number of guests:

-Ship or resort name:

-Chosen Excursion:

-Date:

Comments/Questions:

Thank you,

Daniel and the Hangout Team

Looking forward to hearing from you! Please feel free to ask whatever questions you may have! We would love the pleasure of showing your our beautiful island of Roatan!

Sent from my iPad using Forums