Solo Dining

Ken Greco

If you are the adventurous type and are comfortable talking to new people; try going to breakfast and lunch in the MDR and sit with some new passengers. You never know who you will meet and it is only a one time thing anyway. I was lucky enough to travel for my job for 36 years around the country and always found someone to talk to at the bar of a restaurant.

If you are the adventurous type and are comfortable talking to new people; try going to breakfast and lunch in the MDR and sit with some new passengers. You never know who you will meet and it is only a one time thing anyway. I was lucky enough to travel for my job for 36 years around the country and always found someone to talk to at the bar of a restaurant.

The only problem I have had is that I start talking to someone so interesting at breakfast that is lunch time before the conversation ends.

Yes, you can meet some very interesting people in the MDR when you do breakfast and lunch.

This can often happen at the buffet, as well. More people than tables and you often have to share. I've met some nice people doing that.

How receptive are people generally to sharing their tables at the buffet? I've always assumed that people were more territorial there -- Not like open seating in the MDR where it's understood that table sharing will be happening.

How receptive are people generally to sharing their tables at the buffet? I've always assumed that people were more territorial there -- Not like open seating in the MDR where it's understood that table sharing will be happening.

If there are free tables available I would have a "*** is going on" look if someone unknown was asking to sit down or even did it without asking.

Even when all tables are occupied I would never ever sit down at a table for 4 with just two people sitting there.

As it has never happened to me on any cruise so far I guess it is very rare that people are trying. Or I am good enough at looking hostile so that no one dares to ;)

When you're a thirsty person like me, eating at the buffet can be a challenge -- what's going to happen to my food/table when I'm away? So I created this little sign I leave while I'm away:

Table%20sign%20copy.jpg

What a great idea!! I travel often with my kids (hubby would rather stay home) so I find myself dining alone for lunch often. More than once I have come back to a completely cleaned off table.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been times when I found it necessary to take an empty seat at a large table, i.e. at a rectangular table for 6 where 2 are seated and taking a seat at the end of the table. I have never been felt uncomfortable by doing so. Some folks are more likely to engage in a conversation, if I so choose, than others. That's fine with me. I am there to dine, not necessarily talk.

If I am at a large table, a seat taken by me only because there is nothing else available, I most certainly would welcome others to join me.

When you're a thirsty person like me, eating at the buffet can be a challenge -- what's going to happen to my food/table when I'm away? So I created this little sign I leave while I'm away:

Table%20sign%20copy.jpg

Your sign is magnificent! I hope you don't mind, but I printed it and am going to have it laminated to use on my next solo cruise. In the past, I have found leaving a book or two at my place works to "save my seat". But, your message is more welcoming!

Table%20sign%20copy.jpg

I love this! What a great idea. I often eat out alone and this happens to me all the time. I will use something like this in restaurants too. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I've found people at breakfast are a bit grouchy! I've been seated with a large table and no one talked to me.

I find sharing a MDR table for Breakfast to be more problematic than at Lunch or Dinner. While I don't think I am grouchy in the morning, I am not at my social best at that time of day. When the Maitre d' asks: "Are you willing to share a table?" I often say that I would prefer not to do so.

Once, and believe me, it will never happen again, when I was given a solitary table for two, it was truly solitary in location. Service suffered, i.e. overlooked, ignored, whatever.

That is the exception rather than the rule, fortunately. (And, yes, the ADM who seated me there was informed of my opinion of what he had done when I left the Dining Room.)

I've found people at breakfast are a bit grouchy! I've been seated with a large table and no one talked to me.

I found the opposite for me. First, I always have a pleasant conversation at the breakfast tables on all the cruise lines I have been on.

However, I do notice that they end sooner if we are in port as most of the people are going ashore for a planned event.

On days when the ship is at sea, I may end up talking to my breakfast table for so long that many times staff has told us we need to move so that they can prepare for lunch.

Table%20sign%20copy.jpg

GREAT idea!! And thanks for sharing yours with us! I took some time today and made my own. Will print it on white cardstock and then I'll be all set!

• 2 weeks later...

The option to dine alone in the main dining rooms is one of the things I like best about NCL. I am okay with joining others (on occasion) but I don't mind eating alone and sometimes am not in the mood for the "what's your name, where are you from, what do you do" from random strangers. I hate to admit it but I have created a fake persona - fake name, fake hometown, fake job.

When other lines started their versions of anytime dining I was pretty excited until I discovered it only meant flexibility with the time you ate, you still had to be seated with a group.

When other lines started their versions of anytime dining I was pretty excited until I discovered it only meant flexibility with the time you ate, you still had to be seated with a group.

This is not true on Carnival. I have always been able to sit alone in the MDR when I wanted to.

I will let cruisers on other lines tell their stories, but I suspect the same is true of them.

Table%20sign%20copy.jpg

I have copy your great idea.

I am wondering if different wording would be good for the pool loungers? As a single person going into the pool for awhile, I always wonder if someone will take my lounger.