Edinburgh things to do - castle and Holyrood

Not sure what to do in Edinburgh and whether to go to Edinburgh Castle or Holyrood. We want to go to the Queen's ship and walk around town. We are not big castle people so would be interested in thoughts on Edinburgh and Holyrood and what people's experiences were.

holyrood wasn't open during my visit - I did do the Mary Kings Close underground tour which was interesting although I preferred the end when you get to stand on the original close (alleyway)

Edinburgh also has a plethora of ghost tours if you like those types of tours

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The HoHo bus (well, buses - there are several companies) was actually pretty decent. I also enjoyed Calton Hill. We saw but didn't visit the castle or Holyrood - not really castle people, I guess, even if they're famous castles! I found the architecture in Edinburgh extremely interesting, though. My pictures from Edinburgh are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/london__edinburgh&page=all (no need to sign in; just go to second half of gallery for Edinburgh)

We're going back to Edinburgh soon on a cruise and this time I hope to walk up to Arthur's Seat (Salisbury Crags). I considered Mary King's Close, but am not crazy about having to pre-book (think that might be needed during the summer) and not sure my husband would like a lot of standing/walking (if that's needed).

If you are only there for a day and want to get the most from your Britannia visit allow 3-4 hours, its not something to be rushed and depending what time you get there can't be rushed as it will be busy.

By the time you have done that it won't leave much time to get back into Edinburgh centre and then do another in depth visit.

Maybe get to the Castle, visit the shop which is inside the walls and then walk down the Royal Mile which takes you to Holyrood.

Not sure what to do in Edinburgh and whether to go to Edinburgh Castle or Holyrood. We want to go to the Queen's ship and walk around town. We are not big castle people so would be interested in thoughts on Edinburgh and Holyrood and what people's experiences were.

One of the nicest things about Edinburgh is wandering through the streets and alleyways, especially around the Royal Mile between the Castle and Holyrood Palace. If you don't want to do too much walking, I agree doing a complete circuit on one of the HOHO buses would give you a great overview of the city.

if you aren't particularly interested in castles but are interested in history two other options are Gladstone's Land on the Royal Mile which is an example of a tenement building of the 17th century or the Georgian House in Charlotte Square which is an example of an 18th century home. Both of these have entry fees.

An alternative is The People's Story Museum on the Royal Mile which sets out the history of what it was like to live in the city and is free.

Just returned from there. We went to and enjoyed the castle but also loved walking through the shops on and near the Royal Mile. In addition, we did the Mary Kings Close tour.

If you wanted to do a whisky tasting and nice dinner afterwards, check out

https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk

If you even have the slightest taste or interest in scotch, seeing the collection they have is worth the price of admission.

Question regarding Edinburgh Castle. On Trip Advisor they advertise a "Skip the Line" tour. Is this what I want, or does it really matter? Or should I be buying my tickets directly from the castle website?

Question regarding Edinburgh Castle. On Trip Advisor they advertise a "Skip the Line" tour. Is this what I want, or does it really matter? Or should I be buying my tickets directly from the castle website?

I bought ticket from website and walked right in and rented audio guide for self tour - I guess depends on the day/time of visit and if you want guided tour or not -

• 4 weeks later...

Skip the castle, there are a lot of better things to do in Edinburgh, the castle is expensive for what's there- recently got a bad review in the Sunday Times magazine- better views over Edinburgh from elsewhere, better castles, and Britannia at Leith is far more interesting.

The Royal mile has much more interest, can't comment on Holyrood as not visited.

We recently returned from Edinburgh and toured both the castle and Holyrood Palace. We had pre purchased our tickets for the castle so as not to have to wait in line to buy tickets on the day. There was a very long line and wait for those tickets and we joined the line for folks who had already pre purchased entrance to the castle. The line moved fairly quickly but it was not as fast an entrance to the castle as I had anticipated. Once inside the castle grounds, there are several buildings to tour and not quite what I expected. The grounds are uneven and hilly in spots so you have to walk carefully. We did spend a couple of hours there and we did have a wonderful view of the city below. After leaving the castle we walked the Royal Mile and found it to be filled with shops all showing the same merchandise. We investigated some of the side streets, which proved more interesing and we also tried to get into Mary Kings Close but they did not have any room on their afternoon tours. My suggestion would be to book ahead if that is something you want to see. Our walk ended at the Holyrood Palace and we had a good view of those bravely climbing the hill up to Arthur's Seat for the view. I'm sure the view is amazing from the top but we were too walked out to try it. We did buy tickets for the self guided tour of Holyrood Palace and did enjoy it much more than the castle. We ended our tour with lunch in the Palace's tea room. Now that we have "walked the Royal Mile" we equate it as something that should be done once, as is walking the Vegas strip. Edinburgh is a very hilly city and this was the only place on our cruise where our legs were really sore the next day from all the walking and climbing. Of course, having only the one day to visit, we probably did more than we should have and we would love to come back to Edinburgh to spend more time at a more leisurely pace. Note - the Royal Yacht Brittania is quite far from Edinburgh and you would have to take a train or bus from the cruise pier to get to it. My sister went to tour the yacht in April and she thoroughly enjoyed it. But it is way too much to do both the yacht and Edinburgh in one day. Hope all of this helps in your touring decisions.

Barb

Barb

It was interesting to read your review and I'm sorry you were disappointed with your visit. Edinburgh is increasingly busy as a tourist destination and therefore increasingly difficult to visit it in one day when there really is so much to see and so little time. And I'm afraid it's even worse in August!

Tourist from overseas often have no concept of times and distances. Today I was on Caribbean Princess and I spoke to a visitor who had booked a tour in Edinburgh and a round of golf in St Andrews. I didn't know what to say. St Andrews is 50 miles from Edinburgh and at best it takes 2.5 hours there and back! Whilst I agree that some visitors over-plan, I'd definitely say the Royal Yacht is in Edinburgh although not right in the city centre. I would certainly think a visitor could visit the Castle and the Royal Yacht Britannia on the same day. A #22 bus from Princess Street takes only 10 minutes to the Ocean Terminal and there's a frequent service. The cost is £1.60 each way.

I also agree about the shops in the Royal Mile and in my talk I show 2 photos- one of the type of shop you describe of which there are many but another of the quality shops that exist along the same street which sell more unique, 'Made In Scotland' goods. If you decide to come back, let me know and I'll tell you where to find these shops.

Wow, a round of golf in St. Andrews and a tour of Edinburgh? That's some serious over-planning, I'd say, although I suppose if you dock in Leith, get in 7 AM and leave 9 PM, it might be doable. I think a lot of people also don't know that when a cruise ship visits Edinburgh, it may be docked or anchored a long way away. We were recently docked in Rosyth; four years ago we anchored in South Queensferry. Neither was particularly easy or fast - but if you do some research in advance, it will save some heartache.

After two visits to Edinburgh, one during the Fringe Festival, I've learned that those "must do's" are not really must do's at all, and there are plenty of small treasures to be found in the city or outside. In two visits I only saw Holyroodhouse from the gate, and Edinburgh Castle from the nearby bleachers (with a long line of people trying to get in, I might add!) but I think I got a flavor of the city (old and new) and certainly had a great time.

Some people are easily disappointed. On our recent cruise, an excursion to St. Andrews was offered. It didn't mention anything about actually going on the golf course, but someone was disappointed because they spent a lot of time on a coach and didn't get to go onto the golf course. Cruising is a wonderful way to see a lot of different places without a lot of effort. However, sometimes an 8 to 6 day is just not long enough. However, I figure it's a good excuse to find another cruise that goes to that place so I can see some more!

We will be arriving in Leith on the Seabourn Quest on 8/5. Does anyone know if we can buy tickets on the Hop on Hop off bus that stops there? The website isn't clear about that. We have a day and ½ in Edinburgh and are considering the Tattoo excursion from the ship. Would appreciate anyone experience on the Tattoo and the HOHO bus.

Barb

I also agree about the shops in the Royal Mile and in my talk I show 2 photos- one of the type of shop you describe of which there are many but another of the quality shops that exist along the same street which sell more unique, 'Made In Scotland' goods. If you decide to come back, let me know and I'll tell you where to find these shops.

I am going there in August and would love to know where to find these shops (or which ones to look for).

We will be arriving in Leith on the Seabourn Quest on 8/5. Does anyone know if we can buy tickets on the Hop on Hop off bus that stops there? The website isn't clear about that. We have a day and ½ in Edinburgh and are considering the Tattoo excursion from the ship. Would appreciate anyone experience on the Tattoo and the HOHO bus.

Yes, you can buy tickets from the driver on the Majestic Tour Hop on / off bus. We have a bus stop right outside the cruise terminal in Leith. Cost is £15 pp and you can use a visa card. Our team look forward to welcoming you and your fellow passengers on the 5th/6th August. The Majestic Tour takes in the Royal Yacht Britannia, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Royal Mile, the New Town area of Edinburgh and the Royal Botanic Garden before making its way back towards the ship.

As has been said on the forum before, if you are considering a booked excursion with your ship to the Tattoo, the coach that takes you there will drop you off a little distance from the Castle esplanade (unless you are going on a bus for mobility restricted passengers). The walk to / from your coach will likely involve some uneven surfaces and possibly some steps. You may also have a considerable number of steps to climb to your seats, depending where the block booking has been made. Please wear comfortable shoes and prepare for inclement weather (a jumper / waterproof jacket is essential .. many of our visitors from warmer climates have been caught out .. especially as you may be sitting quite high up). All that said, it's a memorable spectacle.

I just returned from Edinburgh today. You can book admission for the castle directly. No middlemen. Then rent the audio tour for 4 pounds. Rick Steves had a very good free walking tour of the Royal Mile down from the castle to Holyrood. Download the free app.

++1

I am going there in August and would love to know where to find these shops (or which ones to look for).

Edinburgh is a vibrantcity with endless, quality shops but as you'll only have very limitedtime, the ones I have mentioned will make sure you don't waste lots oftime walking from one to other. I'm sure other locals / cruisers willhave found shops they prefer. As a rule of thumb, the louder themusic, the more signs in the window and the closer to the Castle, thetackier the shop!! Of course there are exceptions to this rule, andof course there are some shops near the Castle which sell qualitygoods.

If you like whiskies,there's various shops with an amazing selection. One is Royal MileWhiskies (opposite St Giles Cathedral on Royal Mile)

I've now tried to groupa few shops close to each other which sell a selection of woollengoods and souvenirs:

Elgin Cashmere 28 HighStreet

Dunedin cashmere – nearby on Hunter Square

Edinburgh Cashmere andLambswool High Street

Celtic Jewellery andGemstones High Street

John Morrison KiltmakerHigh Street

Geoffrey Taylor(Kiltmakers) High Street

Just a bit further downon the Canongate is Cranachan and Crowdie with food, drink andauthentic gifts.

If you want to just enjoy a day shopping I would suggest you start at Harvey Nichols inSt Andrews Square and Multrees Walk beside it, all designer shops. There are lots of good shops along George Street with a wide selection of restaurants and bars too, so you can stop for coffee orlunch. You should also try to fit in a visit to Jenner's a departmentstore directly opposite the iconic Scott Monument on Princes Street

Edinburgh is a vibrantcity with endless, quality shops but as you'll only have very limitedtime, the ones I have mentioned will make sure you don't waste lots oftime walking from one to other. I'm sure other locals / cruisers willhave found shops they prefer. As a rule of thumb, the louder themusic, the more signs in the window and the closer to the Castle, thetackier the shop!! Of course there are exceptions to this rule, andof course there are some shops near the Castle which sell qualitygoods.

If you like whiskies,there's various shops with an amazing selection. One is Royal MileWhiskies (opposite St Giles Cathedral on Royal Mile)

I've now tried to groupa few shops close to each other which sell a selection of woollengoods and souvenirs:

Just a bit further downon the Canongate is Cranachan and Crowdie with food, drink andauthentic gifts.

If you want to just enjoy a day shopping I would suggest you start at Harvey Nichols inSt Andrews Square and Multrees Walk beside it, all designer shops. There are lots of good shops along George Street with a wide selection of restaurants and bars too, so you can stop for coffee orlunch. You should also try to fit in a visit to Jenner's a departmentstore directly opposite the iconic Scott Monument on Princes Street

Thank you!! I've printed this out for reference

• 2 weeks later...
Edinburgh is a vibrantcity with endless, quality shops ....

I've now tried to group a few shops close to each other which sell a selection of woollengoods and souvenirs:

If you want to just enjoy a day shopping I would suggest you start at Harvey Nichols inSt Andrews Square and Multrees Walk beside it, all designer shops. There are lots of good shops along George Street with a wide selection of restaurants and bars too, so you can stop for coffee or lunch. You should also try to fit in a visit to Jenner's a department store directly opposite the iconic Scott Monument on Princes Street

Tartanexile,

Would any of these shops sell yarn? My sister and cousin who will be with me are avid knitters and I know they will be looking to purchase new yarns!