Carnival Group Payment Problems.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:51 PM.
At Sea
5,190 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I've read that some passengers for Carnival Group Lines (incl Cunard, P&O and Princess) have had an issue with payments overnight. This is one of the Cunard online statements:

"We have today identified an issue with a number of card payments made in relation to cruise bookings with Cunard between December 2016 and April 2017.

Due to an error by the third party payment processor, some guests may have had a second transaction processed. This is not as a result of a security breach and at no time has any personal information been compromised.

We will be contacting affected guests and in the meantime we would like to apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused. We would also like to reassure those guests impacted that we are working with the payment processor to reverse these charges as quickly as we possibly can".

It might be prudent to double-check bank/credit card accounts I would suggest, if there is a chance it could apply to you, just to be on the safe side.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper.
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
Staffordshire
1,705 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Yes I am one of those affected received an e-mail today from Princess. Unfortunately cannot check bank account online because since the Windows 10 update this week HSBC online banking doesn't work and they closed my local branch recently because everybody is using online banking except those using Microsoft Edge as a browser. Means I have to go over 8 miles to now my nearest HSBC to check my account. Time for a new bank account with another company I think.
LI NY
487 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by majortom10
Yes I am one of those affected received an e-mail today from Princess. Unfortunately cannot check bank account online because since the Windows 10 update this week HSBC online banking doesn't work and they closed my local branch recently because everybody is using online banking except those using Microsoft Edge as a browser. Means I have to go over 8 miles to now my nearest HSBC to check my account. Time for a new bank account with another company I think.
Wouldn't it be simpler to just install Firefox or Chrome?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Now planning first Transatlantic September 2017 - round trip
Uk
366 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I noticed this yesterday. A charge came on my amex for a cruise that I paid for in February. Might be difficult for people with smaller limited and/or big cruise payments.
Staffordshire
1,705 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by TheOldBear
Wouldn't it be simpler to just install Firefox or Chrome?
Why should I if HSBC cannot be bothered to get their online banking working with the latest Windows10/ Microsoft Edge then they aren't worth having my business.
Chester, UK
1,204 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by majortom10
Why should I if HSBC cannot be bothered to get their online banking working with the latest Windows10/ Microsoft Edge then they aren't worth having my business.
Drive 8 miles or use another browser ? I know which one I'd do.
Gower Peninsula, Wales
2,823 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
I had a L A R G E payment duplicated overnight, but then reversed, which is just as well as I would have gone into o/d and I do NOT do that.

Utter chaos.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill
Oceania Riviera - June 2017
QV - August 2017
QV - December 2017
QM2 - March 2018
QM2 - April 2018
QM2 - January 2019
Norfolk UK
711 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Here too, but just a pre-authorisation and nothing actually taken from the bank. Could have done without the hour or so trying to work out what on earth had happened this morning with no success as it's a Saturday. Only just had Cunard's email.
Staffordshire
1,705 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
Drive 8 miles or use another browser ? I know which one I'd do.
and me change my bank in 7days to my local town less than a mile away which HSBC have deserted.
Chester, UK
1,204 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
It's certainly true that banks (all of them), treat you like an inconvenience if you use their branch. The only time I ever need to visit mine is if someone gives me an antiquated form of payment which I believe is called a "cheque" !

As for Cunard, I think they have debited (and credited back) £30 or so. My available balance appears to have gone down by about that amount (but a couple of other payments are pending, so it could equally be that)
Gower Peninsula, Wales
2,823 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by cruiseluvva
I had a L A R G E payment duplicated overnight, but then reversed, which is just as well as I would have gone into o/d and I do NOT do that.

Utter chaos.
They have also applied a charge which is showing on my CC.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill
Oceania Riviera - June 2017
QV - August 2017
QV - December 2017
QM2 - March 2018
QM2 - April 2018
QM2 - January 2019
Melbourne, Australia
2,576 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
I also received the email from Cunard and the charge is showing on my CC account at the moment (Sunday here) so hopefully it will clear up soon! Glad I saw the email first but still now have to check the account waiting for the amount to be credited back. (It may just be a pre-authorization at this point...will watch closely).

I knew that when I saw the email I would come straight to Cruise Critic and get more information and so glad you guys are here!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barbara

Previous cruises:
QM2 - Mediterranean Delights May 2009
QE - Aegean Introduction Nov 2010
Volendam - Pacific Treasures Feb 2012
QM2 - WC Segment SIN to MEL Feb 2013
QE - WC Segment SOU to HK Jan 2015
Lincolnshire, UK
51 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Had £400 pending transaction. Hasnt been taken from my account yet but still funds frozen so cant withdraw them. The bank says it has to be debited before they can reverse the payment and e-mail from cunard says the payment was reversed overnight but funds still not available as of today. What a farce
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norfolk UK
711 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Vera123
Had £400 pending transaction. Hasnt been taken from my account yet but still funds frozen so cant withdraw them. The bank says it has to be debited before they can reverse the payment and e-mail from cunard says the payment was reversed overnight but funds still not available as of today. What a farce
Same here Vera. £428 frozen in our account.
poole,UK
100 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by cruiseluvva

Utter chaos.
Cunard says they will reimburse any bank charges if you email them proof
Farnborough, Hants England
502 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
We had an email about a cruise we still have to pay for, but the money taken is for a cruise we paid for in March, and with a different bank.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,049 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
This is the latest statement on Cunard's website

"On Friday we were made aware of a one off technical error made by Elavon, our third party payment processor, in relation to card payments for cruise bookings with Cunard,. Refunds are already being processed and we are working with Elavon at the highest level to investigate how this happened and to ensure that this could not happen again. Any charges incurred by guests as a result of this issue will be refunded. Once again we apologise to those guests who were affected by this error."

I hope those of you affected can get things sorted out soon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !