Barcelona hotel pre cruise recommendation?

RMS Olympic

Next year I will be sailing the new Meraviglia out of Barcelona. Not sure if I will fly in one or two days early, but need to find a hotel. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on the Axel hotel? I don't necessarily need a gay hotel, but it popped up on a search engine.

Thanks for any thoughts on hotels.....prefer 4 star hotels.

Try either The Majestic or The W Barcelona. The Majestic is right in the middle of the city and a very classy old world hotel with an extravagant buffet breakfast. The W is out on the beach with amazing views and a very young hip vibe with rooftop club and modern decor. Both are easy access to all including embarkation.

No specific hotel suggestion - although avoid the Rialto (mediocre at best, but great location). But, if this is your first visit to Barcelona, then definitely stay in the Ramblas, Placa de Catalunya or Gothic Quarter areas. You will be close to everything you will want to visit. Barcelona is one of my favorite cities in the world. Enjoy.

Joe

Friends stayed at the Axel and thought it was OK. It's in the middle of the gay neighborhood where you'll find lots of gay cafes, bars & stores. It's also a lively area for many types of restaurants & some splendid architecture. About 15 minute cab ride to the cruise ship terminal.

The only hotel we stayed at recently was out by the airport, a fine hotel, but the location boring. We rented an apartment for 6 weeks not far from the Axel. Loved our time in Barcelona and can't wait to return.

We just had a great stay at the H10 Port Vell - not four star, but a great little hotel in a good location, and it has a great roof terrace.

Check out The Barcelona Taste - we joined them for a tapas tour around the gothic quarter - a great evening!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are open to an apartment, the BCN Gotic apartment hotel on Argenteria is right on the border of Gotic and El Born. It's surrounded by great bars and food. Your unit will have a washer if you'd like to freshen your wardrobe which we found helpful with a 4 day pre-cruise stay.

Edited by marieps

• 2 weeks later...

I have only good things to say about Axel. I thought the staff were very friendly and helpful. I liked having a full-service spa on site, and I had an excellent massage and spa day there for relatively little money. The roof-top bar was lively in the evenings. And as mentioned, the location is excellent. Finally, the value is excellent. Give it a try.

I'm staying at the Axel in Berlin in September; I'm only hoping the experience is as good as Axel in Barcelona. Good luck with your choice.

Not 4 star but Hotel Jazz was in a great location and worked well for us. We'd stay there again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say the same. Not far from ramblas and the Gothic Town, also near metro station. Nice hotel, good breakfast

• 1 month later...

If you want a great non-gay hotel that is walking distance to many attractions, I'd suggest the Hotel Alexandra Barcelona. Have stayed here many times prior to cruising. It is part of the Hilton/DoubleTree family. http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/spain/alexandra-barcelona-a-doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-BCNMADI/index.html?WT.mc_id=zELWAKN0EMEA1DT2DMH3LocalSearch4DGGenericx6BCNMADI

Do you need to be near the gay nightlife? If so, look for a hotel in Eixample inbetween the metro stops of Universitat and Urgell. There's tons of public transportation at Plaza Universitat, and the area is only a few blocks from Plaza Catalunya, the main transportation/tourist hub of Barcelona. Hotel Axel is only a couple blocks away from both the gay nightlife area and Plaza Universitat.

Not 4 star but Hotel Jazz was in a great location and worked well for us. We'd stay there again.

I agree. We stayed there 3 nights pre-cruise last October. The corner junior suites are very large with separate living/dining and bedroom areas. Very convenient location, very helpful staff and very favorably priced. We would definitely stay there again.

Rob & jim

• 3 weeks later...