question about arrival day...

smilesarepriceless

going on Carnival Elation....TOMORROW (9/15)..

Hi, I'm Heather and my husband and I are coming in with a group of his co-workers. This is my 3rd cruise...and hubby's 2nd.

We're coming from Kentucky...and the 'plan' of the co-workers is..to drive to Huntsville Wed night..

Then leave at 8am from Huntsville to Mobile..(since google maps says it is a 5 hr 50 min. drive ) this makes me REALLY nervous....

Any thoughts from you experienced cruisers..

It's a 15 passenger van......so we're pretty much at the mercy of majority rules...and they all seem to think the timing is fine.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SLEEPING IN...and enjoying the cruise!

You don't have any wiggle room with that schedule. What time does you ship sail? You have to be checked in 60 min before sailaway, 90 min for anyone who hasn't filled out their boarding pass online.

I see you sail at 4pm. You must be at the terminal by 2:30p. You will barely have time to stop for gas, much less potty and eat anything. Your driver is crazy. EM

Hi, I'm Heather and my husband and I are coming in with a group of his co-workers. This is my 3rd cruise...and hubby's 2nd.

We're coming from Kentucky...and the 'plan' of the co-workers is..to drive to Huntsville Wed night..

Then leave at 8am from Huntsville to Mobile..(since google maps says it is a 5 hr 50 min. drive ) this makes me REALLY nervous....

It's a 15 passenger van......so we're pretty much at the mercy of majority rules...and they all seem to think the timing is fine.

Does the google map take into consideration a flat tire, rest stops, traffic jams, etc.?

I hope you make it, but, stuff happens.

I think you need to reconsider your plans.

I agree with the other posters! There is a very good chance you guys will not make this if you leave at 8am. I would never cut it this close. I think I would be getting my own transportation and then you guys can wave to his co-workers while you are sailing away and they are still in the car on the road somewhere.....;):)

I would do all I could to talk your travel mates into sharing the driving and drive straight through. Rebook your hotel in Mobile, or close to it. Why would a group want to endure the stress they have set themselves up for.

In addition to the potential for a breakdown, flat tire, accident, and construction zones you now have the very real probability of speeding ticket(s). It makes no sense.

I have driven all over this country and I would never plan things this tight in today's environment. Who ever planned this out is taking your lives in his or her hands. 15 passenger vans don't have the best safety rating, either.

Please do all you can to change their strategy.

Be Safe!:)

Larry

It looks like some nasty weather around there also. Rent a car with another couple and drive straight through. Hit the drive through coffee shops enroute. I have done alot of driving with weather, road construction, flat tire, tickets, "i have to go to the bathroom again", morning rush hour, car stalled on side of road so the rubber neckers slowing everyone down. It aint your normal morning drive to work. Yup I would drive right through and have a nice nap poolside on the ship. Or "why yes I will have another frozen margarita as I wait for my friends". Good luck.

I don't have near the experience of others who have posted, but that is way too tight for any comfort. We drove to Seattle the day before our cruise, and we only live 3 hours away.

Stuff happens.

Just crossing from Oregon to Washington, we were stopped on the freeway for about 15-20 minutes to allow the drawbridge lift. I've driven that route regularly for 15+ years, and that was the only time I've ever had to stop there.

Reminds me of when I was back in college and I was catching a ride to a train station about 170 miles away during spring break. The other two housemates were then proceeding to the airport near there for their flight. At one point, we realized we were going the wrong direction so the driver had to get off the highway and then get in the right direction on the right highway. I just barely made the train, and my friends barely got on their flight.

It just seems there are so many times that I had to depend on others to get somewhere on time in these situations. At least with my hubby, he's just as anxious to get on the ship that he's often packing up the car at 9am when we have an hour's drive to our home port.

I'm guessing it's too late for the OP as her cruise is tomorrow, but maybe she should just go ahead with her husband and anyone else smart enough to know Murphy's Law exists for a reason, and leave for the port.

In a perfect world, they will make it!

How's that perfection thing working out for you?

The stated plan - even assuming a 6:00 AM start - leaves no room for traffic, flat tire, whatever. And what are the odds that with so many travelling together that all will actually be in the van ("AIS") and ready to go at 6:00 AM?

When it is important to be somewhere by a certain time, it is important to plan for contingencies - and not just assume that everything will go perfectly. If you want to get to the terminal by 1:00 PM, you should leave as much time for contingencies as for actual driving time. That means for a 6:00 AM start time you should allow 3 1/2 hours drive time and 3 1/2 hours contingency time.

Look at the map again, get an earlier start the day before, or drive until later.

Good luck.

Hoping the OP comes back and lets us know if they made it onboard! Hope they had cancel for any reason insurance!

We live in the landlocked central US and I am a nervous nelly about arrival times so we always plan to arrive in port at least the day before. It is just a part of the cost of cruising as far as I'm concerned. That way - our vacation starts at the hotel!

hopefully onboard by now.

I never trust those direction sites travel times they tend to base it on distance and speed limits. Drive faster make it faster hit any delay what so ever and you'll be in big trouble if its a trip like this.

Archived