High Blood Pressure That's Improved

jadephoenixx

Hi there. I tried searching but couldn't find anything. My husband has high blood pressure and on medication for about 2.5 years. We've been working out and changing our diet so he's lost quite a bit of weight and as a result, his blood pressure when taken at home seems to be creeping back to the normal range. We're hoping that as he continues to lose weight, that his dosage can be eventually lowered - he hasn't seen his doctor yet. Question is: we're looking at buying the Princess insurance for our April 2016 cruise (final payment is mid-January 2016 so 60 days look-back would be mid-November) - if his dosage is lowered or medication changed because of improved health, would this still be considered a pre-existing condition?

Thanks!

Yes, unfortunately. Any change in medication, even a lowered dosage, is considered a change. One alternative is to buy the insurance now, before the doctor makes any dosage changes.

Ah! Great tip, Cheryland. For the peace of mind, we'll probably do just that.

These are questions for your insurance company and/or detailed in the policy. Canadian policies are significantly different from US policies.

We're looking at the Princess Vacation Protection - they only have the 1 policy that's the same for Canadians and Americans, right?

Edited by jadephoenixx

• 2 weeks later...

Let's say his BP dosage was lowered due to his improvement. However, if the lowered dosage did not stabilize his condition after final payment and he ended up in the hospital because his BP and heart rate spiked, his change in lowering his dosage would be considered a pre-existing condition that is excluded.

Therefore it doesn't matter why a person's melds are changed. That is how it was explained to me by a travel insurance rep.

IMO, I would recommend purchasing travel insurance. BP can become very erratic at anytime.

Wishing you a great and safe trip.

I was under the assumption that it doesn't matter when you buy the insurance, you have to be stable for 3 months prior to sailing. If something were to happen, the company could come back with a verdict that it was a pre-existing condition, if any changes were made in the dosage of medications and refuse your claim.

If you are not sailing until June, I would make sure any changes are made by the end of February so there would be nothing on a Dr's file,within the 3 months prior to sailing, and buy the insurance then.

I was under the assumption that it doesn't matter when you buy the insurance, you have to be stable for 3 months prior to sailing. If something were to happen, the company could come back with a verdict that it was a pre-existing condition, if any changes were made in the dosage of medications and refuse your claim.

If you are not sailing until June, I would make sure any changes are made by the end of February so there would be nothing on a Dr's file,within the 3 months prior to sailing, and buy the insurance then.

The lookback period is not prior to sailing, it is prior to purchase of the insurance.

This continues to be a source of confusion for me. It appears that even if you did buy your insurance as soon as you booked the cruise there would still be a 60 day look back period if you were to have a medical emergency and filed a claim.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a medical charge to have you blood pressure taken in the Medical Center? Wondering if we should take our BP machine & cuff?

Just Mike

The one time I asked on board either a Princess or celebrity ship the answer was "$60, please."

This continues to be a source of confusion for me. It appears that even if you did buy your insurance as soon as you booked the cruise there would still be a 60 day look back period if you were to have a medical emergency and filed a claim.

ALL of these questions will depend upon the specific terms of whichever policy one purchases.

There are policies (from more than one company) such that if you buy the insurance (even insuring only the deposit amount suffices *usually* - but check!) within 14 or 21 days (depending upon company policy), one can get coverage that WAIVES the exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

That means NO "look back" at all.

With this type of policy, you could have changed meds that morning.

However, one must ordinarily "be able to travel when the policy is purchased".

Having a routine change in blood pressure meds or taking an antibiotic will not by itself cause any problem, unless the underlying condition is such that you are not well enough to travel the day you buy the coverage.

There is also a company that offers a policy that waives the pre-existing condition exclusion that can be purchased when the *final* payment is made (see the policy specifics on how this is defined).

These may not be the least expensive insurance, but they allow for this type of coverage. (Higher risk for the insurer, so they charge more, etc.)

One extra nice aspect of the "waived exclusions" is that a claim doesn't get bogged down with all sorts of medical history checking, because it doesn't matter as long as the policy was purchased within the window AND you were "able to travel" when you purchase the coverage.

We initially had lots of questions about all of this, because it could obviously be an expensive mistake to make.

We spoke with Steve and his group at TripInsuranceStore.com at great length (they were incredibly patient with our repeated questions).

And... for our *first* big trip with insurance, we had a last-minute cancellation.

The claim for the full amount of cruise and business class air, plus some non-refundable land arrangements, was paid without quarrelling.

(It is important to note here that IF we did not have that waiver, the claim may have been denied. We aren't sure, but it didn't matter. What was important is that with the waiver, it was a non-issue.)

GeezerCouple

If you buy the insurance as soon as you book the cruise or within the timeframe specified by the insurer, you are getting a waiver of the look-back period. In other words, the look-back does not apply to you. That is the reason to purchase early - to lock in the waiver.

I believe it is possible to insure just the deposit if you have booked very early. That way you get the waiver and add trip costs,as well as increased premium, as they occur such as airfare or non-refundable hotels.

I know of at least one company that waives pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased at final payment.

If you miss these deadlines, then pre-existing conditions are not covered and the look-back period depending on the policy -anywhere from 60 days to 180 or more-applies according to when you purchase the insurance, not when you sail.

This is what I understand of third-party coverage; however, cruise-line sponsored policies may have different rules that are unique to them.

• 2 months later...
If you buy the insurance as soon as you book the cruise or within the timeframe specified by the insurer, you are getting a waiver of the look-back period. In other words, the look-back does not apply to you. That is the reason to purchase early - to lock in the waiver.

I believe it is possible to insure just the deposit if you have booked very early. That way you get the waiver and add trip costs,as well as increased premium, as they occur such as airfare or non-refundable hotels.

I know of at least one company that waives pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased at final payment.

If you miss these deadlines, then pre-existing conditions are not covered and the look-back period depending on the policy -anywhere from 60 days to 180 or more-applies according to when you purchase the insurance, not when you sail.

This is what I understand of third-party coverage; however, cruise-line sponsored policies may have different rules that are unique to them.

Also not to digress too much from the topic at hand, people tend to tell the insurance company too much information.

Also not to digress too much from the topic at hand, people tend to tell the insurance company too much information.

What does this even mean? If you file a claim for a medical reason, you are going to have to give the insurance company access to your medical records. And, these records aren't just at your doctor's office anymore. They will see everything you may have failed to disclose to them. If you've done this, you will have your claim denied and may have committed insurance fraud.

Advise people provide full and accurate information to their insurance company.

Edited by 6rugrats

What does this even mean? If you file a claim for a medical reason, you are going to have to give the insurance company access to your medical records. And, these records aren't just at your doctor's office anymore. They will see everything you may have failed to disclose to them. If you've done this, you will have your claim denied and may have committed insurance fraud.

Advise people provide full and accurate information to their insurance company.

I am not trying to encourage anyone to commit insurance fraud, just pointing out that people say too much when filling forms out.

Would you tell the insurance company you smoked for many years, even thou you quit five years ago?

I am not trying to encourage anyone to commit insurance fraud, just pointing out that people say too much when filling forms out.

Would you tell the insurance company you smoked for many years, even thou you quit five years ago?

It depends upon how the question was asked.

(Neither of us has ever smoked, so this is a "what if" for us, but we would indeed answer honestly.)

If it asked, "Have you smoked within the past 5 years?", then apparently "No."

If asked, "Have you ever smoked?", the answer in the hypothetical posed by dietqueen would be, obviously, "Yes".

The one time I asked on board either a Princess or celebrity ship the answer was "$60, please."

They really have to charge or they'd be overwhelmed with people 'popping by' to have their blood pressure checked. A ship with over 2,500+ guests would likely produce plenty of guests who would take advantage of that 'free service'.

Bring your own blood pressure monitor.

In whatever way the question is asked, I would answer truthfully. Not a good idea to think it's okay to lie for an insurance claim.

OP is Canadian and their rules for travel insurance and medical disclosure are different than for US citizens. Omit something, and your policy will be voided.

I've completed several medical claims for trip cancellations, and no form that the doctor had to complete asked anything about smoking. It's not the same as a life insurance application.

OP is Canadian and their rules for travel insurance and medical disclosure are different than for US citizens. Omit something, and your policy will be voided.

I've completed several medical claims for trip cancellations, and no form that the doctor had to complete asked anything about smoking. It's not the same as a life insurance application.

I'm pretty sure that if you answer a question on an insurance application or claim form falsely (like that you never smoked, when it was "only more than 5 years ago", in the example being used) that IF the insurance company finds out, they won't pay.

Worse, they may decide to take action against you for insurance fraud.

rugrats, that's totally different than what you just mentioned, which is "the insurer didn't ask about smoking".

The question at hand above, about the "smoking" (ever or within 5 years) was in terms of *answering* a question about smoking history.

If it wasn't asked, no problem either way.