Dynamic dining menus downgraded

scopus

Check out this initial menu for quantum class dining... http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/9df181b9#/9df181b9/24

Now there is talk that not even lobster is served jn the grande every night, if at all... Meanwhile rccl is charging celebrity level prices of 2000+ when anthem comes to US.....still worth the price??

And the point is? Checking the link and current menus - those are quite similar. I think they adapted changes since there was such moaning about Dynamic Dining and new Classic option requires changing menus so customers wouldn't moan menu being same in rotation.

And since Quantum class seems to be selling with current pricing - so why would they change the pricing? Prices should be adjusted when customers aren't any more interested. Menus being only part of costs - why would they affect pricing?

Edited by JezzaC

Check out this initial menu for quantum class dining... http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/9df181b9#/9df181b9/24

Now there is talk that not even lobster is served jn the grande every night, if at all... Meanwhile rccl is charging celebrity level prices of 2000+ when anthem comes to US.....still worth the price??

Where did you hear that lobster is not served in the Grande every night?

We were on Anthem last month and didn't see lobster in any of the complimentary restaurants - maybe we missed it but I don't think so as my OH would have had it if it had been there. It is available in Chops Grill but at an additional supplement of $21 on top of the usual $39 charge.

Lorraine

If you look at the menus posted online by 'hjnorth', you can see that the only lobster in the four complimentary restaurants is lobster bisque soup. Presumably it is much too expensive for them to provide and they have substituted cheaper options such as the turkey Dinner.

If you look at the menus posted online by 'hjnorth', you can see that the only lobster in the four complimentary restaurants is lobster bisque soup. Presumably it is much too expensive for them to provide and they have substituted cheaper options such as the turkey Dinner.

Historically from other classes of ships is that Europe sailings rarely have lobster available, even with traditional dining ships. I've experienced this and seen it posted on CC in the past,

Broiled Lobster Tail is still on the Grande menu on the North American Royal Caribbean website

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/dining/restaurants/the-grande-restaurant/

Perhaps it's not on the uk website? And thus maybe confirms lobster is not served in Europe as per usual?

Historically from other classes of ships is that Europe sailings rarely have lobster available, even with traditional dining ships. I've experienced this and seen it posted on CC in the past,

Broiled Lobster Tail is still on the Grande menu on the North American Royal Caribbean website

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/dining/restaurants/the-grande-restaurant/

Perhaps it's not on the uk website? And thus maybe confirms lobster is not served in Europe as per usual?

I checked out the UK website and they are showing lobster on the sample menu for American Icon. Also looked at the Grande menu there and have to say neither menu much resembles the actual ones which have been posted. But it is certainly a bit cheeky to give the impression that lobster will be available if it isn't!

I checked out the UK website and they are showing lobster on the sample menu for American Icon. Also looked at the Grande menu there and have to say neither menu much resembles the actual ones which have been posted. But it is certainly a bit cheeky to give the impression that lobster will be available if it isn't!

Well - if lobster is on the menu for any mid-range cruise liner on their main dining room, it means one tail each. So I don't know is it significant to have lobster?

Well - if lobster is on the menu for any mid-range cruise liner on their main dining room, it means one tail each. So I don't know is it significant to have lobster?

Sorry but I don't quite understand you. What do you mean?

You see, lobster is an expensive luxury food item which people enjoy havIng the opportunity to eat while on a cruise. It has traditionally been served on all cruise ships, even three star ones, usually on the formal or gala night menu. I suspect RCI have found it too expensive to have it available every night.

Sorry but I don't quite understand you. What do you mean?

You see, lobster is an expensive luxury food item which people enjoy havIng the opportunity to eat while on a cruise. It has traditionally been served on all cruise ships, even three star ones, usually on the formal or gala night menu. I suspect RCI have found it too expensive to have it available every night.

Well, there are different kind of lobsters. In good quality restaurant lobsters are served as whole and they come from cold waters and are alive. In mid-range cruise lines, tails come frozen and are from warm waters. Bought in large stocks - costing couple dollars each.

And nowadays lobster isn't any more such luxury item. It can be bought from good quality super markets.

Edited by JezzaC

Well, there are different kind of lobsters. In good quality restaurant lobsters are served as whole and they come from cold waters and are alive. In mid-range cruise lines, tails come frozen and are from warm waters. Bought in large stocks - costing couple dollars each.

And nowadays lobster isn't any more such luxury item. It can be bought from good quality super markets.

Well perhaps you should tell RCI that! Because they obviously find it too expensive for them or why else would they remove it from the menu?

Well perhaps you should tell RCI that! Because they obviously find it too expensive for them or why else would they remove it from the menu?

And you are sure it was done due to price? What about my point lobster not being so luxury any more - could that been reason?

And you are sure it was done due to price? What about my point lobster not being so luxury any more - could that been reason?

Well to be honest, no , I think you are wrong. Lobster is definitely still considered more of a luxury item than say chicken. Maybe things are different in your country, so we must agree to differ I think!

The original post is quite correct in my opinion. The menus have been reduced in quality.. This has been commented upon elsewhere on UK forums.

But I am not going to keep on arguing the toss with you. I only posted originally to confirm the fact that lobster is not on the menus anywhere in the complimentary restaurants on Anthem. I did not post in order to have an argument about it! Just stating facts.

Well to be honest, no , I think you are wrong. Lobster is definitely still considered more of a luxury item than say chicken. Maybe things are different in your country, so we must agree to differ I think!

The original post is quite correct in my opinion. The menus have been reduced in quality.. This has been commented upon elsewhere on UK forums.

But I am not going to keep on arguing the toss with you. I only posted originally to confirm the fact that lobster is not on the menus anywhere in the complimentary restaurants on Anthem. I did not post in order to have an argument about it! Just stating facts.

Based on discussion on other parts of the forum seems that RCCL isn't offering lobster in complimentary restaurants in European cruises. So this might change when Anthem starts cruising from New York.

Based on discussion on other parts of the forum seems that RCCL isn't offering lobster in complimentary restaurants in European cruises. So this might change when Anthem starts cruising from New York.

I certainly hope so, because this is the usual fare offered on either the first or second formal nights on many cruise lines departing from the USA. Quality varies depending on the cruise line and the time of year (i.e. Christmas - where the cost of the cruise is greater for that week or so). People consume anywhere from 1 lobster tail to several. On a Princess cruise a waiter informed us (as we were about to consume our third) that the record for the evening was 10.

Edited by Sanz

I certainly hope so, because this is the usual fare offered on either the first or second formal nights on many cruise lines departing from the USA. Quality varies depending on the cruise line and the time of year (i.e. Christmas - where the cost of the cruise is greater for that week or so). People consume anywhere from 1 lobster tail to several. On a Princess cruise a waiter informed us (as we were about to consume our third) that the record for the evening was 10.

We also had several tails in Blu on Celebrity Cruises.

If Quantum is a guide, the lobster served in the Grande was smaller than the shrimp I buy. Food in complimentary venues was subpar. I was told that some items are cooked before it reaches the ship. If you want good food you have to go to the restaurants with a supplement or pick another line.

I'm not sure what menus you folks are looking at. I perused the Anthem Grande menu and lobster tails is on it. Initially, when I looked at the sample Quantum menu, lobster tails were only available in American Icon Grille. When I got on the ship in February, lobster tails were only available in the Grande. The tail is about 3 ounces and I had a couple and were good. Also, lobster tails were available in Silk on the last nite of an 11 niter Carib. sail.

Sailed the Medit. 3 times and lobster were not available.

Ps. Escargots, were shown on menu for all of RCL ships sailing the Carib., lo and behold even though they were on the menu they were not available due to shortages--if you believe that I'll sell you the Brooklyn bridge,

Edited by nelblu
diferent ship

I'm not sure that I agree with your opinion.

The price of cruising has definitely gone up, and you could argue that so has everything else.

However, there is a lot of money not being made for meals, when they were once, 100% complimentary.

There are other things that used to be complimentary, which over-time, have gone for charge as well.

Food is definitely a large component of your overall cruise cost, yet you're paying for it over and above by going to the specialty restaurants.

Additionally, the cost of fuel has gone down as well.

I don't really care, because I'm not a lobster fan, but to many, lobster night is something that they look forward to.

As a business, if there are opportunities to increase margin, you can't blame people for taking those opportunities.

But at some point, it becomes a bit obnoxious.

EDIT: It seems that after reading further, that lobster is on the menu. Take what you will from my comments above, but as they pertain to this topic, are obviously not valid.

Edited by Overtyme
Noticed that others have found this on menus

I'm not sure that I agree with your opinion.

The price of cruising has definitely gone up, and you could argue that so has everything else.

However, there is a lot of money not being made for meals, when they were once, 100% complimentary.

There are other things that used to be complimentary, which over-time, have gone for charge as well.

Food is definitely a large component of your overall cruise cost, yet you're paying for it over and above by going to the specialty restaurants.

Additionally, the cost of fuel has gone down as well.

I don't really care, because I'm not a lobster fan, but to many, lobster night is something that they look forward to.

As a business, if there are opportunities to increase margin, you can't blame people for taking those opportunities.

But at some point, it becomes a bit obnoxious.

EDIT: It seems that after reading further, that lobster is on the menu. Take what you will from my comments above, but as they pertain to this topic, are obviously not valid.

I am not sure in what way you do not agree with me! You seem to be saying the same thing, that it is all about profit margins.

Incidentally, it is not on the Anthem menus, although the RCI UK website indicates that it is. However it may well be on the Quantum menus for all I know.

Incidentally, it is odd that RCI seem unable to provide lobster in Europe when all the other cruise lines do!

I am not sure in what way you do not agree with me! You seem to be saying the same thing, that it is all about profit margins.

Incidentally, it is not on the Anthem menus, although the RCI UK website indicates that it is. However it may well be on the Quantum menus for all I know.

Incidentally, it is odd that RCI seem unable to provide lobster in Europe when all the other cruise lines do!

On the US RCL web site, lobster tails and lobster bisque is on the Anthem Grande Menu. As a matter of fact, the Grande menu on the Anthem is almost identical as the Quantum February, '15 sail.