Mamma Mia on Quantum

LuCruise

Full production with intermission! It's fantastic. There are usually 3 performances per cruise. Some in the afternoon, and at least one evening show.

Oh neat, so a daytime show too.

We'll be on Allure, which it is apparently transferring to after dry dock. Currently the Allure has Chicago with only a 7pm showtime that would work with kids (but Mamma Mia instead of Chicago when we come). So am wondering how it works on Quantum and assuming it'll be similar. I assume there is a 7 or 8pm showing one night? Great to know it's a full production.

And yes, I'm the type that loves front row so will for sure come early (and pre-book).

Edited by LuCruise

Yes as a lifelong fan of Abba and having seen Mamma Mia in London numerous times, I can tell you that it is the full length production just the same as the stage show. The whole production is wonderful, just as professional as the original. I saw it on the Maiden Transatlantic and Nick Weir The VP of entertainment for RCCL came onstage to introduce the show and said he insisted that they did not shorten the show if they were to bring it to the ships, he said it was a risk as most cruisers don't want to sit through a full 2 and a half hour show but in the case of Mamma Mia he thought it should not be shortened.

I think he has been proved right as the atmosphere in the theater is just the same as on land with everyone on their feet singing and dancing at the end.

I for one couldn't have watched it if they had cut it!!

Enjoy!:)

Edited by Sparkle 123

Oh how I could comment about "The things that Nick Weir said" and how the creativity of events actually match the time he had been in his position :eek:

Yes as a lifelong fan of Abba and having seen Mamma Mia in London numerous times, I can tell you that it is the full length production just the same as the stage show. The whole production is wonderful, just as professional as the original. I saw it on the Maiden Transatlantic and Nick Weir The VP of entertainment for RCCL came onstage to introduce the show and said he insisted that they did not shorten the show if they were to bring it to the ships, he said it was a risk as most cruisers don't want to sit through a full 2 and a half hour show but in the case of Mamma Mia he thought it should not be shortened.

I think he has been proved right as the atmosphere in the theater is just the same as on land with everyone on their feet singing and dancing at the end.

I'm so happy to hear that they didn't cut the show and it's just as good as the stage show. Mamma Mia is my very favorite musical and I've seen it many times so am very happy to hear it's moving to Allure. I actually got DD into it and am taking her this spring to see it, now a bonus she'll be able to see it twice. I'll look out for the day time viewing if they have it on Allure too (I'm assuming this is a sea day) and it night time, we'll see when it starts and how long she'll be able to stay up (she'll be 6.5 when we sail).

Edited by LuCruise

Oh neat, so a daytime show too.

We'll be on Allure, which it is apparently transferring to after dry dock. Currently the Allure has Chicago with only a 7pm showtime that would work with kids (but Mamma Mia instead of Chicago when we come). So am wondering how it works on Quantum and assuming it'll be similar. I assume there is a 7 or 8pm showing one night? Great to know it's a full production.

And yes, I'm the type that loves front row so will for sure come early (and pre-book).

On the Feb 2nd sailing the original scheduling was;

Day 1 - 6pm

Day 2 - 4:15pm

Day 3 - 8pm

however after cast illness it was later rescheduled to;

Day 3 - 8pm

Day 8 - 6pm

Day 9 - 2:30pm

So yeah, one 6pm, one 8pm, then one late afternoon.

On the Feb 2nd sailing the original scheduling was;

Day 1 - 6pm

Day 2 - 4:15pm

Day 3 - 8pm

however after cast illness it was later rescheduled to;

Day 3 - 8pm

Day 8 - 6pm

Day 9 - 2:30pm

So yeah, one 6pm, one 8pm, then one late afternoon.

Thanks so much for the times to get an idea (of what might be offered of Allure).

If I known it was a good a production as it was I would have scheduled myself for a 2nd or 3rd night to see it. It was THAT good

I can see myself doing standby on one of the other times (as I said I love this show)...as they say "Mamma Mia, here I go again"

Edited by LuCruise

We were on the 12/20 sailing, and went to the 2:30 pm show on the first sea day. It was fantastic! It was even able to keep DD interested for the whole show, and DH who doesn't usually go to the shows stayed for the whole thing, too.

That's awesome, as it can be a long show for a kid (or someone who doesn't love musicals). And I'm so glad they offer a matinee (although I prefer the 4:15pm time slot as 2:30pm cuts in to your day a bit...but MM is worth it)

on ship 3/1 and just got email show will now be at 2:30 ...cant wait to get on ship and thanks for all the post...and looking forward to the cookies in the Windjammer...not matter what the post is good or bad everyone loves the cookies...

on ship 3/1 and just got email show will now be at 2:30 ...cant wait to get on ship and thanks for all the post...and looking forward to the cookies in the Windjammer...not matter what the post is good or bad everyone loves the cookies...

Thanks for the update. So it looks like 2:30pm is the new time.

Have an awesome cruise! Let us know what you think of Mamma Mia...and the rest of the cruise. And enjoy the cookies!

Thanks for the update. So it looks like 2:30pm is the new time.

Have an awesome cruise! Let us know what you think of Mamma Mia...and the rest of the cruise. And enjoy the cookies!

Don't hold the times too close - I got an e-mail a couple days ago changing my Day 2 time from 9pm to 8:30pm. Luckily we dind't have a dinner reservation that night to interfere with.

But if you don't like ABBA, it's just a V E R Y .................. L O N G ................... S H O W !

Hard to be believe, but there are some of us that don't like it :eek: !

We also don't tap our toes, sway from side to side, singalong, or bounce our heads left and right, etc. We sit beside our spouses, looking at our watches, and ..... .....

P R A Y.....F O R.....I T......T O.....E N D !!!!

- I never boo and you'd never know how I feel, until I SPRINT to the exit :D!

- Miriam

Edited by Clancy14

Don't hold the times too close - I got an e-mail a couple days ago changing my Day 2 time from 9pm to 8:30pm. Luckily we dind't have a dinner reservation that night to interfere with.

Yeah, I noticed from ocav's post that they changed the time on him as well. I'm not even on the Quantum (on Allure next year), but it's good to get an idea. If we plan on a matinee then will book dinner for no earlier than 7pm just in case. Glad it didn't interfere with a dinner reservation for you.

Clancy14, yes, the musical isn't for everyone. Guess you can say that about any type of show....or activity...etc If you weren't enjoying, too bad you weren't sitting somewhere you could quietly sneak out.

We saw the show and were impressed that the singing and dancing were Broadway caliber. On the other hand the acting and production values can't compare to the Broadway version.

Will say at 2:30 hours it was the most ambitious show we've seen on a cruise ship.

I loved it, saw it once during our first sailing, and then went to both the afternoon and our scheduled showing on our second sailing. Enjoyed it every time. Really surprised me because I absolutely hated the movie, it was like torture to sit through (saw it in the drive in with another movie). As soon as they announced this play I was disapointed by the pick, I can't stand the concept of the plot at all. I do enjoy Abba music though, and the cast was incredible. If the cast had not been so good I do not think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. They were incredible and IMO the simplicity of the production really put the pressure on them to perform well and they did so they could really shine. That was the one thing about Hair Spray, I was very bored by it even with all the stuff going on. It was a good production but not one I would have gone back to see twice. You can have all the fancy graphics and sets you want, but it's the casts' emotions that suck you in and make you enjoy it. This cast certainly did that.

I loved it, saw it once during our first sailing, and then went to both the afternoon and our scheduled showing on our second sailing. Enjoyed it every time. Really surprised me because I absolutely hated the movie, it was like torture to sit through (saw it in the drive in with another movie). As soon as they announced this play I was disapointed by the pick, I can't stand the concept of the plot at all. I do enjoy Abba music though, and the cast was incredible. If the cast had not been so good I do not think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. They were incredible and IMO the simplicity of the production really put the pressure on them to perform well and they did so they could really shine. That was the one thing about Hair Spray, I was very bored by it even with all the stuff going on. It was a good production but not one I would have gone back to see twice. You can have all the fancy graphics and sets you want, but it's the casts' emotions that suck you in and make you enjoy it. This cast certainly did that.

That's awesome....and totally something I can see me doing (I.e. Booking once but doing stand by). And I totally agree...the movie wasn't great, but its hard to beat live theater. You just can't capture that kind of energy a movie.

Clancy14, yes, the musical isn't for everyone. Guess you can say that about any type of show....or activity...etc If you weren't enjoying, too bad you weren't sitting somewhere you could quietly sneak out.

Yes, I agree, but my DH was enjoying it and we were right in the middle of the balcony section of the Suite/Diamond Plus area and there were many older cruisers that I would have had to CRAWL over to get out. Bad manners!! And on one cruise - I think it was one of our Allure sailings, when we got to the theater, the entertainment was listed as a "Surprise Guest(s)" . When the curtain opened, it was the current 3 Tenors from Broadway, singing a medoly of the most popular/beautiful songs/arias from the past 20 years ! It was (FOR ME) the best musical show I've seen at sea. For my DH, it looked like he had heartburn the entire show! I told him to straighten up, stick a smile on his face, and not ruin it for me, so that's what I tried to do for him.

After Mamma Mia, we agreed, from now on, we would NEVER make the other one sit through the show that made us numb from the neck up!

We both felt that way about Starwater and Sonic Odyssey but we were trapped in our seats yet again. When Starwater was over, my DH stood up and declared "Well, that's an hour of my life I'm never going to get back" and the people around us laughed and applauded. It was that bad!

-Miriam