Another drink package question

canille

Hello there, I'm new to msc and have a few questions about their alegrissimo vs premium alegrissimo package.

We cruise the Canary Islands in January and when we booked the alegrissimo was included as a promotion. Me and my travel companion would have preferred the premium one. Do you think they let us pay the difference? And if they don't, do you still think it's worth its money, at 44 EUR a day?

I read somewhere that freshly squeezed orange juice is not available in the normal alegrissimo. Is that true?

Thanks,

Lisa

Hello there, I'm new to msc and have a few questions about their alegrissimo vs premium alegrissimo package.

We cruise the Canary Islands in January and when we booked the alegrissimo was included as a promotion. Me and my travel companion would have preferred the premium one. Do you think they let us pay the difference? And if they don't, do you still think it's worth its money, at 44 EUR a day?

I read somewhere that freshly squeezed orange juice is not available in the normal alegrissimo. Is that true?

Thanks,

Lisa

I have a feeling you won't be able to pay the difference - although it would be great if MSC allowed it!

Having experienced both packages I don't think the premium is worth the extra unless you must have premium drinks or champagne cocktails :D

Do you really want access to the minibar included?

The prices for room service items from the menu are reasonably priced so it would be cheaper to have the basic package and pay as you go - it's unlikely you'd order room service every day. It's quite a limited menu, too, so you'd tire of it very quickly!

The "pastries" from the Gelataria menu are also reasonably priced so you could treat yourself without the need to pay the extra €18 per day.

Don't know about freshly squeezed orange juice as I don't order it - I like the bottles of other juices on the menu which the basic package covers.

I don't think they will let you pay the difference to upgrade either.

I've always gone for the basic one as it covers so much and is so reasonable.i don't think it so worth paying almost double for the premium one. Then again it depends on what you like to drink. If my main tipple was single malt, I'd probably feel differently. I do like the occasional Armagnac which is not covered by the basic package. I just pay for that and it is still cheaper having the basic package and paying for the odd premium drink than buying the premium package on European sailings. I believe the price difference is not so big on US sailings.

Don't know about freshly squeezed orange juice as I don't order it - I like the bottles of other juices on the menu which the basic package covers.

I too have had the standard and Premium Allegrissimo.

First the orange juice question. Yes, the standard Allegrissimo includes it but tracking it down and having it when and where you may want it is difficult. Actually, it isn't strictly "freshly squeezed". They make it in batches behind the scenes and serve it from a large jug. I have only ever found it at the pool bar nearest the buffet except once when they also had it at the other pool bar. If you arrive too early, like early breakfast time, they probably won't have it. The vitamin bar and spa bar have the facilities and ingredients (oranges) so could possibly be coerced. All other bars have the bottled juices which are a reasonable substitute.

The time I was on the Premium, I also took my own juicer and collected oranges the day before from the buffet so that at least I could have a glass of freshly squeezed juice before breakfast. The stuff served in the MDR at breakfast is flavoured sugar water and best avoided.

As others have said, the difference in price between the standard and Premium packages will cover quite a few pay-as-you extras. It really is only if your favourite tipple is not included that it may be worth going for the Premium. In my case, the superior range of wines available by the glass on Premium was much appreciated but I would not pay the difference for them. When on the standard package, it is easy enough to vary your habits and obtain amazing value for money from the standard package.

The standard Allegrissimo still includes almost everything on all the bar menus. Apart from the extra wines by the glass and bottled beers, just the 'premium' spirits and cocktails that include them are excluded - though the latter can be made with the non-premium versions. Non included items are marked with a red dot on the menus. It also includes the speciality coffees, smoothies, shakes and ice creams, the weird concoctions from the vitamin and spa bars and sparkling wine.

The minibars are very sparsely stocked and it would be impossible to get back the difference between standard and Premium on this even if you religiously cleared it every day.

Stick with Allegrissimo!

Edited by Skipper Tim

Could anyone tell me which brands of whisky and brandy are included in the Allegrissimo package - I'm guessing cognac is not!

Cognac very certainly is - speaking from experience :D Can't remember the brands. I drank Hennessy XO when on the premium package but can't remember if Hennessy cognac was available on the basic. If I remember correctly, though, there were a couple of different brands so there is a choice. Same with whisky. There were a few different brands.

I'll be heading to the Canaries next Thursday on Fantasia - I'll be able to let you know then.

Edited by Beamafar

.....the orange juice question. Yes, the standard Allegrissimo includes it but tracking it down and having it when and where you may want it is difficult. Actually, it isn't strictly "freshly squeezed". They make it in batches behind the scenes and serve it from a large jug. I have only ever found it at the pool bar nearest the buffet except once when they also had it at the other pool bar. If you arrive too early, like early breakfast time, they probably won't have it. The vitamin bar and spa bar have the facilities and ingredients (oranges) so could possibly be coerced. All other bars have the bottled juices which are a reasonable substitute.

I always wondered about freshly squeezed orange juice as I've never seen it but you've often mentioned it so I figured it must be available. The stuff they serve in the MDR is, as you point out, only flavoured water. (Note to self - must track down real orange juice!:) )

Edited by Beamafar

I always wondered about freshly squeezed orange juice as I've never seen it but you've often mentioned it so I figured it must be available. The stuff they serve in the MDR is, as you point out, only flavoured water. (Note to self - must track down real orange juice!:) )

Of course 'the orange juice question' is only one dimension (isn't that now a pop band?) of breakfast. To have an ideal cooked breakfast and be served fresh orange juice and 'speciality' coffees leaves only one time and place on MSC ships. When and where is it? One has to optimise with age.

I am looking forward to returning to Cunard in two weeks. Cunard used to have drastically higher rates to MSC but not at present - certainly in the UK. Having grown to love the 'Italianness' of MSC, I am sure Cunard's 'Americanness' and fake 'Britishness' will be a bit of a shock (there is unlimited fish & chips available in the 'pub'). I like shocks (cultural, not electrical). I do expect, however, fresh orange juice at breakfast on Cunard. I'll be posting my usual random live blog.

Stay tuned!

Cognac very certainly is - speaking from experience :D Can't remember the brands. I drank Hennessy XO when on the premium package but can't remember if Hennessy cognac was available on the basic. If I remember correctly, though, there were a couple of different brands so there is a choice. Same with whisky. There were a few different brands.

I'll be heading to the Canaries next Thursday on Fantasia - I'll be able to let you know then.

That's great news, thanks Bea :D

On the Allegrissimo package can you get wine by the glass in the main dinning room?

There is a choice of 2 reds, 2 whites and 2 rosès and 1 sparking in the MDR'S on the Allegrissimo. However, my experience is that there are often just the one on offer of white or red. I've never had a problem with the quality although the choices on the premium Allegrissimo are better.

On the Allegrissimo package can you get wine by the glass in the main dinning room?

Yes. Choice of 2 reds, 2 whites a Rose and sparkling.

Usually with the sparkling they have to open a new bottle and often just leave you the bottle rather than having to keep coming back if you want another glass, particularly if more than one of you is drinking it.

Could anyone tell me which brands of whisky and brandy are included in the Allegrissimo package - I'm guessing cognac is not!

Hi there, I've just got the bar list and the brands included in the package are as follows:

WHISKY/WHISKEY

Jim Beam

Ballantine's Finest

J+B

Johnnie Walker Red Label

Jameson's Irish

Canadian Club

Bell's

COGNAC/BRANDY

Courvoisier

Cardinal Mendosa

Metaxa*****

Vechhia Romagna Etichetta Nera

Thanks,

Lisa

Call them now, ask! It can't hurt!

If allowed now, you won't have to pay for grats., if upgraded on board, you might have to!

All our friends who bought the Premium pkge. were very happy with it, they loved all the extras that come with it, and never once thinking about whether a drink was on their pkge. during the cruise!

On our Divina cruise, our friends who got the premium pkge. drank whiskey(we're vodka drinkers), and one commented how he loved sitting at a bar drinking a double JW 'something' that normally costs $17 a shot:eek:, so he drank 6 of them doubles one night, and if my math is correct $17x 2(a double)x6drinks=$204.! So it can add up very quickly depending on what you drink!:D

We got the Allegrisima package as a promotion form our TA. My DH likes premium liquors so asked how much it would be to upgrade to premium. They would charge the FULL premium benefit cost so there's no point. I'll pack an orange squeezer for the OJ!

Bea you're a star. Hope you're having a great time, and have a drink for me!

No problem. If there's anything else you need to know ask now. I should have access to wifi tomorrow so I'll check and see if you've posted anything.

We have had terrific weather so far. I can't believe it's been so nice in December!

No problem. If there's anything else you need to know ask now. I should have access to wifi tomorrow so I'll check and see if you've posted anything.

We have had terrific weather so far. I can't believe it's been so nice in December!

Bless you, glad the weather is being kind (the sun only shines on the righteous :D)...just one more question....have they put the Christmas decorations up yet?

Yes. Choice of 2 reds, 2 whites a Rose and sparkling.

Usually with the sparkling they have to open a new bottle and often just leave you the bottle rather than having to keep coming back if you want another glass, particularly if more than one of you is drinking it.

I have never managed to obtain sparkling wine in the MDRs. I suppose I only asked a couple of times but once told "only from the bars" twice by different waiters, I never tried again.

I have never managed to obtain sparkling wine in the MDRs. I suppose I only asked a couple of times but once told "only from the bars" twice by different waiters, I never tried again.

On the Fantasia, in November, we had sparkling wine in the MDR almost every night--and the waiter left the bottle so that we could refill our glasses (if he was around, he refilled them for us--sometimes, we drank too fast for him to keep up--LOL). On the occasions that we ordered a still wine, he also left the bottle!! Loved our waiter!:D

MooMoo and I managed to get it quite a few times on the Armonia (well every time we asked). They often leave you the bottle too.

I usually have a glass or 2 in a bar before dinner and then drink the Sangiovese (if they have it) in the MDR though. The fizz is is nice with lunch though.

Bless you, glad the weather is being kind (the sun only shines on the righteous :D)...just one more question....have they put the Christmas decorations up yet?

Sorry slow getting back to you - having too good a time!

Anyway, yes is the answer. They began putting them up after a few days. There are Christmas trees everywhere and the staircases are decked out with garlands with lights.

• 1 year later...