Boarding Documents

LemonLorraine

Hello -

I just realized that my passport has expired. I'm a US Resident, I have a drivers license, will I still be able to Board the ship?

Thanks

I would check with my Travel Agent and/or Holland America immediately. Get your information from the source to be safe.

If you are on a Caribbean cruise, returning to the same US port as you departed from, you should be safe, but again, don't just go by my thoughts, check it out with the experts, as everyone's situation is different.

Edited by DaveOKC

From the HAL General Information page:

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on

closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the Western

Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S.

port are required to have proof of citizenship such as a

valid U.S. passport or a government issued birth certificate

combined with a government issued photo I.D. Other

approved proof of citizenship documents such as a passport

card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or certificate of

naturalization along with a government-issued photo ID are

also acceptable. A passport is still the preferred document.

PLEASE NOTE –WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable

for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be

required to present additional or different travel documents

when entering foreign countries, including some countries in

the Western Hemisphere."

Then, as commonly discussed, all you need is an official birth certificate and a driver's license.

But, if your cruise is more than a month away, send for a new passport.

Thanks CruiserBruce and thanks to everyone else for your help! I just became very nervous that I wasn't going to be able to go!

If your cruise stops in Costa Rica a passport is required. Just completed Zuiderdam Panama Canal and we were required by Costa Rica to have passport even if we did not get off ship.

While the OP is on the Zuidedam, I am pretty sure it is a 7 day, Western Caribbean which does not stop in Costa Rica. You are correct that HAL wants you to have a passport if the ship stops in Costa Rica, even if you do not get off.

DaveOKC

I see you have a stop in Key West. We just came off the Eurodam's Western Caribbean trip with a stop there just last week. There was an immigration check at this port. All passengers, whether or not they were going ashore, had to go thru this check. Passengers were called by deck to report to verify documents, and they specifically said "Drivers License alone is not proof of citizenship." Immigration officials took a quick look at our passports and then our HAL room cards were punched. No one could go ashore until all passengers were cleared. The process took 45 minutes to an hour once we arrived. Hope you get it resolved in time! Good luck

Then, as commonly discussed, all you need is an official birth certificate and a driver's license.

And that birth certificate must have been issued in a US state or Territory. There was a case cited pn CC not too long ago where a man was denied boarding because he was born in a German hospital (to US citizen parents serving in the military) and the BC was issued by Germany. Edited by jtl513

And that birth certificate must have been issued in a US state or Territory. There was a case cited pn CC not too long ago where a man was denied boarding because he was born in a German hospital (to US citizen parents serving in the military) and the BC was issued by Germany.

Exactly why I suggested the OP talk directly to HAL or the TA. There are too many variables involved for this topic to be answered on a message board, IMO.

DaveOKC

To save you a lot of time, hassle and sleepless nights I would strongly suggest getting your passport renewed through an expedited process. Depending on where you live, do an online search and see where your state's passport office is located because they can turn it around for you via appointment in 1 visit provided that you have all of the required information with you. If you are not in a commutable distance from your state office, then there are also expedited on-line services that can provide you with a 24-hour turnaround from the time that they receive all of your renewal documents.

You will pay more for an expedited service than the normal renewal through the government, but having your passport with you is important if for some reason you are left in a port for any reason and need to book a flight to get out to come back to the U.S., you'll need the passport or passport card.

Here is the note I received from HA for a Jan. 23 departure on the Zuiderdam:

VISA NOTIFICATION:

*****IMPORTANT INFORMATION*****

Please be advised that a passport is required for all FLL-FLL voyages visiting

Costa Rica whether they plan to go ashore or not.

Each country has its own entry requirements, and guests assume personal

responsibility for having the necessary documents when boarding. You may be

denied boarding if you do not have the proper travel documents and in that

case, you would not be entitled to a refund.