Private purchase vs thru cruise line

hebbynan

Hi! Hubby and I are looking at doing the City View Tour in Key West when we cruise in October. My question is this...what's the benefit of us booking this thru Carnival as opposed to on-line thru the tour company? It's $20 cheaper to do it on our own, but other than the fact that the boat won't leave without you if you book thru them, are there any OTHER benefits?

We've only ever booked things thru the cruise lines, so I'm a little hesitant to do so for the first time.

TIA

-Heather

Hi! Hubby and I are looking at doing the City View Tour in Key West when we cruise in October. My question is this...what's the benefit of us booking this thru Carnival as opposed to on-line thru the tour company? It's $20 cheaper to do it on our own, but other than the fact that the boat won't leave without you if you book thru them, are there any OTHER benefits?

We've only ever booked things thru the cruise lines, so I'm a little hesitant to do so for the first time.

TIA

-Heather

cruise line is charging 29.99 vs direct at 19.00

i would be doing this myself== the cruiselines gotta make some kind of profit.

I would agree.. book it on your own. Key west is easy enough to get around so that there shouldn't be a huge fear of missing the ship. The tour does not take you to any remote locations that you would have to worry about getting stuck at. It is a great city!!

Dana

• 3 weeks later...

Book on your own, short 5 minute walk (unless your ship is docked on outer mole) to both the City View Trolley and Conch train. Also check into the Conch Train, that is also within walking distance, it also provides tours of the Island.

Do not forget Carnival's Best Price Guarantee!

We booked it through Carnival & submitted a short form and received the difference in OBC.

Read through the guidelines regarding BPG, before you book a tour.

It is NOT valid for Groupon or similar deals & must be available to the general public and be exactly the same.

Yes, it is the same difference, but in some cases it's a big difference and getting the security of not being left behind if a tour runs late.

Not this excursion, but others.

• 2 weeks later...

...and feel free to throw it back if it doesn't apply here :rolleyes:...

We're doing a Royal cruise that stops in Nassau, then Key West. I've read that you have to clear customs in Key West if you've been to a foreign port. If Key West is your first port it doesn''t matter, but if its not, you may get tied up in customs and miss your excursion.

From reading this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973952

it seems Royal will give you priority IF you book an excursion through them; otherwise you're taking a chance of getting off the ship late and missing your excursion. If you're sailing Carnival, you might want to check on their policy for clearing customs.

Book it on line it is fine ..

We are also going to Key West for the first time and were wondering what would happen if by any chance there were a storm and the ship got diverted and did not even get to Key West. Does anyone know if booking on line you are able to get refunds with tour companies if that were to happen??

If you look at the FAQs for the various trolley and Conch Train tours, you will find a money-back guarantee for cancellations. This is not true for all water-related trips.

e.g.

"Because we believe so strongly in the quality of our tours, we offer a 100% money back guarantee, no questions asked."

Pjk

If you look at the FAQs for the various trolley and Conch Train tours, you will find a money-back guarantee for cancellations. This is not true for all water-related trips.

e.g.

"Because we believe so strongly in the quality of our tours, we offer a 100% money back guarantee, no questions asked."

Pjk

Thank you so much for the info :)

Ok , took advice and did find a fantastic deal with Cityview Trolley Tours. Now here is my dilemma, I never thought before but I have never been to Key West and have assumed that the trolley would be parked as soon as I walked off the ship. Stupid assumption on my part I know. Now I am worried I will not be even close to where I need to hop on the trolley , which is Whitehead Street, means nothing to me and I was sent a google map but it does not show where the cruise ship docks ( Carnival) , nor do I know the area to know where to walk or even what direction I need to go as soon as I get off the ship. I am hoping someone out there has taken this trolley tour and knows which way to go. Thanks to anyone who can help direct me properly , I think it must be near a Mallory Square ,(where ever that is ), because it says there is parking there ??

Ok , took advice and did find a fantastic deal with Cityview Trolley Tours. Now here is my dilemma, I never thought before but I have never been to Key West and have assumed that the trolley would be parked as soon as I walked off the ship. Stupid assumption on my part I know. Now I am worried I will not be even close to where I need to hop on the trolley , which is Whitehead Street, means nothing to me and I was sent a google map but it does not show where the cruise ship docks ( Carnival) , nor do I know the area to know where to walk or even what direction I need to go as soon as I get off the ship. I am hoping someone out there has taken this trolley tour and knows which way to go. Thanks to anyone who can help direct me properly , I think it must be near a Mallory Square ,(where ever that is ), because it says there is parking there ??

Did you look at the map on the Cityview Trolley website? The one I saw showed where the ships dock and where all the stops are.

If you are arriving on the Carnival Breeze you will dock at the Westin Hotel pier (B) and as you walk off the ship and down the pier you will walk between the Westin Hotel and the Customs House (a large brick bldg with a red roof) and directly in front of you will be a triangle in the street where you will see a City View Trolley. A big silver trolley.

Mike:)

Thanks for all the help :) When I went on the site I booked with I thought the site WAS the actual trolley service . Bit confused but the site was called Cool Destinations and when I went on the site it said to click here for map which didnt come up. So after reading the reply I googled the cityview and the map did come up but then had no idea where we would dock. Thanks to Mike now I know EXACTLY where we dock and where to walk , thanks again :)

You bet.

Have a great visit!

Hi Mike! Question for you (since you are the guru for this one), we dock at Outer Mole (Navy base) and this picks up at Whitehead Street). I know they shuttle you from the boat apparently, but do you know about how far/long the walk is from the end of ***** Pier to Whitehead Street? Hubby, who's name is Mike too by the way, had back surgery and is limited in walking - hence why we're taking this tour; otherwise we would've just walked around Key West in the first place lol. I did look at the map on City View's website and I doesn't look too awfully far, but sometimes maps can be deceiving.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Hi Mike! Question for you (since you are the guru for this one), we dock at Outer Mole (Navy base) and this picks up at Whitehead Street). I know they shuttle you from the boat apparently, but do you know about how far/long the walk is from the end of ***** Pier to Whitehead Street? Hubby, who's name is Mike too by the way, had back surgery and is limited in walking - hence why we're taking this tour; otherwise we would've just walked around Key West in the first place lol. I did look at the map on City View's website and I doesn't look too awfully far, but sometimes maps can be deceiving.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Yes you will be shuttled from (and to) the Outer Mole pier since walking through USN property is forbidden to civilians. I would say the distance is a few hundred yards and you will be dropped off right where the trolleys board and many other vendors will be in the area as well.

I hope that answers your question.