Food & Drink at Half Moon

Bluemoon319

I've never been to a ship's private island before and would like to know what the free food/drink situation is at Half Moon. Is there free food available the whole time you are there or just at a set time? What about drink? I will be on an extreme budget for this cruise, but I also don't want to risk dehydration. Should I bring drinks with me or will there be free lemonade & water available like on the ship? Thanks in advance.

There will be a BBQ, standard hours are about 11-1. It is included in your fare.

Drinks are like on the ship, as the island is simply an extension of the ship. If you pay for it on the ship, you will pay for it on the island. If it is free on the ship, it will be free on the island.

NOTE: Many of the beverage plans are NOT available on the island. If you read some of the other major threads on HMC here, you will see which are available, and which are not.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Does this mean that we have to go back to the ship to get something to eat outside of the set lunch time? How long does it take to get back & forth to the ship? I have no concept of what this port is like. Also, I realize that alcohol & soda will cost $, but I am trying to figure out if free lemonade, ice tea, & water will be available.

Yes, you may go back to the ship at any time. On HAL, I don't recall any food outside of the lunch hours, but I could be wrong. We are usually full from breakfast, and aren't in need of food until lunch. The tendering process takes 20 or so minutes.

I don't know Carnival. If Carnival offers lemonade and ice tea on board, they will offer it ashore. Water will be available.

Reading down the major threads here will give you tons of info on every aspect of HMC.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Yes, you may go back to the ship at any time. On HAL, I don't recall any food outside of the lunch hours, but I could be wrong. We are usually full from breakfast, and aren't in need of food until lunch. The tendering process takes 20 or so minutes.

I don't know Carnival. If Carnival offers lemonade and ice tea on board, they will offer it ashore. Water will be available.

Reading down the major threads here will give you tons of info on every aspect of HMC.

Thanks for the info. :)

Was just there last week - was there on MOnday, June 16th....with Carnival.

I kept a water bottle with me at all times, and refilled it with the water from the BBQ area. There are hamburgers, and all kinds of fixings - desserts, etc.

There are probably 15+ covered picnic table areas.

We, too, cruise "on the cheap" so that we can afford to go again :)

So, the only thing we spent was $14.99 to rent a float.

If I had brought my own, I wouldn't have had to do that.

We brought our own beach umbrella , too.

(we drove to the port, so we could easily bring the umbrella)

I had never been to a private island either, and I really enjoyed it.

My husband and son went back before I did (it's a tender port) -

it was really hot, and while I was waiting in line to board the tender, Carnival staff was passing around rolled up, watered-down, iced washcloths!!!!

Anyway, it was nice to just relax with a beach day. I don't like to do beach days at other islands because I want to SEE the island, get to know the history, etc. I figure I can always get to a beach here (even though I am at least 18 hours from an ocean shore) - but I am not paying all that money to go onto a new island and stay at the beach :)

Anyway, if you have any more questions, just ask.

I kept a water bottle with me at all times, and refilled it with the water from the BBQ area. There are hamburgers, and all kinds of fixings - desserts, etc.

it was really hot, and while I was waiting in line to board the tender, Carnival staff was passing around rolled up, watered-down, iced washcloths!!!!

Anyway, it was nice to just relax with a beach day. I don't like to do beach days at other islands because I want to SEE the island, get to know the history, etc. I figure I can always get to a beach here (even though I am at least 18 hours from an ocean shore) - but I am not paying all that money to go onto a new island and stay at the beach :)

Thank You for the idea of taking our own beach umbrella. We will take one that we have from home. I will also be sure to grab a beach ball and float from the dollar store before We leave.

Eat a later breakfast before you head to the beach...then lunch will be served starting around 11:30 or so....get a plate of chips or something, if you feel you'll need more food before heading back to the ship!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I also thought that it was not cool that there was not water and soda easily available on the beach....even if you were willing to pay for it! The waiter were just pushing the beers. Soooo, bring your refillable water bottles full from the ship. I always go to the Lido water stations and fill my bottle from home with water, ice and a slice of lemon and I'm good to go!

You can refill once the buffet opens at 11:30. Enjoy! L

Hi,

I also thought that it was not cool that there was not water and soda easily available on the beach....even if you were willing to pay for it! The waiter were just pushing the beers. Soooo, bring your refillable water bottles full from the ship. I always go to the Lido water stations and fill my bottle from home with water, ice and a slice of lemon and I'm good to go!

Really good to know, thanks

Hi,

Really good to know, thanks

I'm surprised they don't have bottled water and soft drinks more readily available. Not everyone drinks alcohol so they would be losing the chance to sell something.

I am glad to know in advance though so I can be prepared!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone taken a small cooler off with water? Thanks for the heads up on the floats. I would have never thought to buy a few from the dollar store to take. Do you think Faster to the fun is worth it to tender. Will be on the Fascination and trying to decide as this is still offered for this cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We were at HMC last week. We had FTTF and a cabana so we were on the first tender. However, as we lined up to tender back to the ship I heard tons of people say they had only been on the island for an hour because of the tenders. Some people waited 2 1/2 to 3 hours to board to go to the island. That night in the comedy show there was definite tension when the host asked how everyone enjoyed their day. I would have been very disappointed if I spent all but one hour of my day waiting on tenders.

We were at HMC last week. We had FTTF and a cabana so we were on the first tender. However, as we lined up to tender back to the ship I heard tons of people say they had only been on the island for an hour because of the tenders. Some people waited 2 1/2 to 3 hours to board to go to the island. That night in the comedy show there was definite tension when the host asked how everyone enjoyed their day. I would have been very disappointed if I spent all but one hour of my day waiting on tenders.

Gosh, never have heard of it taking 3 hours to tender over. :eek:

LuLu

We have been to HMC 8 or 9 times and going again in September. We have always had a cabana so drinks are always available there. I do know that they have lemonade and water-probably tea as well--set up in the lunch area all day.

One thing I have found that it is very hot when waiting in line to tender back if you are like us and tender in one of hte last bots. I always bring a little collapsible umbrella with me and put it up when standing in line. What a difference that makes with the sun not hitting me directly.

I have to say in all the times we have been going to HMC I have never heard of a tendering situation that took 3 hours. I wonder if something was wrong with a tender. We have been there times that we had to hit the ship 3 times with the tender to get it docked against the ship due to weather conditions that came up during our stay there,tho.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a beach tent. Do you think they would be OK with us setting that up? We like to cruise cheap as well, but can't spend the day in the sun.

We have a beach tent. Do you think they would be OK with us setting that up? We like to cruise cheap as well, but can't spend the day in the sun.

Yeah, it will probably be OK. I would set it up down the beach away from the crowds. It can get congested at the beginning of the beach.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Bring it along, Set it up where it won't be in anyone's way. The worst thing they can do is ask you to take it down.