Belize and Roatan?

marylp

Hello Everybody, I'm searching for things to do for these 2 locations. I tried looking on the Ports of call forums but it seems that responses are slow in coming. I really like Cozumel because you can get off the ship, shop around get something to eat and get back on. Does anyone know if these 2 ports are set up like this? I also liked Montego Bay bay because they have that Hop On/Hop Off option. We do not really do snorkling, ziplining and stuff like that. Any ideas?

Hello Everybody, I'm searching for things to do for these 2 locations. I tried looking on the Ports of call forums but it seems that responses are slow in coming. I really like Cozumel because you can get off the ship, shop around get something to eat and get back on. Does anyone know if these 2 ports are set up like this? I also liked Montego Bay bay because they have that Hop On/Hop Off option. We do not really do snorkling, ziplining and stuff like that. Any ideas?

For Roatan If you like the beach do the Tabyana Beach Break most beautiful beach I have been too. Belize there is NOTHING to do there we stay on the ship. But since you like Snorkeling maybe try the Barrier Reef Snorkeling tour that has AMAZING snorkeling. Have Fun! Just to clarify the West End Beach is the same as Tabyana Beach.

Edited by christmas

It's pretty easy to come on and off the ship at Roatan. There's a shopping area and ziplining place just outside the ship and the beach is less than a 10 minute walk.

Belize is a tender port, and it's a relatively long ride to shore (15-20 minutes). I would not feel very comfortable outside the cruise ship terminal property unless on a guided tour. I went with Vitalino Reyes' company to go cave tubing (http://cavetubing.bz/) and it was an excellent experience.

At Roatan you will be docked at Mahogany Bay. This area was built for Carnival and is similar to the dock at Cozumel with the shopping village. There is also a beach area. You can take the chair lift or just walk over.

Belize is a tender port. It's about a 15-20 ride from the ship to the dock. Again it is a shopping village but no beach.

Charlie

Victor Bodden tours for Roatan .He caters a private tour according to what you like for under $100 for two for the ENTIRE day!!

West Bay beach is awesome as well as the West end. Roatan is our favorite place you will love it

I would also suggest Victor Bodden in Roatan. He has a wide variety of tours. If you take a private tour, he will do whatever you want. We spent the day just driving around the island. We stopped at a nice beach for a short time and walked the beach for a few minutes. He took us to a nice restaurant where we had lunch. We are not into the diving, snorkeling think either, so this worked our great for us.

Claudia

we've been to both ports a ton of times. In Roatan we've gotten in a cab and explored that way (ending up at the West End the first trip and Half Moon Bay another) But we love the beach and snorkeling. Last year we did the Victor Bodden tour and it was great. But for a chill day it's also nice sometimes to just walk over the beach area near the pier (and as a bonus you can get free wifi) We do this when we are only there until 2 since we do not like to get up early.

Belize is trickier because of the long tender. The weather has been bad the last few times so we've just headed to the shopping village for beers instead of booking a tour. We did book a city tour with a vendor in the shopping village and it was great! It really showed us there is a lot more to the area than the poor area just outside the gates. I would recommend it to anyone, and it only took about an hour and a half.

In Belize we did the Mayan ruins and they were fantastic, I really liked that the trek took us literally across the country!

In Roatan we did a snorkle catamaran, we LOVED it. We liv in Hawaii so we are used to reef fish, but honestly the snorkeling was even better in Roatan!

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

Cave tubing in Belize! This is a must do, and also it should be done through Carnival in my opinion. (Through Carnival because their safety standards were significantly higher than some of the other providers we saw there). It is a lazy river ride where your guide shows your group how to hook your tubes together and then basically guides your group though very slow moving river running under/through the caves. This is an excursion that I have read that many people do over and over anytime they get to go back to Belize (we certainly would). Our family absolutely loved it and it remains our all time favorite excursion. On the bus ride there you get a guide that provides you with all kinds of local history, and you get to drive past the city and then the country side, see schools, see houses and stores, see all kinds of people and how they live. Then you get there and walk through the forest and learn about that and then gear up with lights on your helmets, and your tube and walk to the start of the cave opening. There are lockers and food and drink for sale and covered picnic tables. I had a lot of questions and fears taking my children before I went because I knew nothing about it, but they were all completely unfounded. It was awesome.

In Belize we did cave tubing with cave-tubingdotnet and had a great experience. It was cheaper than through the cruiseline and a much more personalized experience. My wife and I were linked together with our own guide in the water instead of the big crowd of 10 people hooked together.

In Roatan we did the Tabyana Beach excursion through Carnival. Beautiful beach and great snorkeling just a few yards out into the water.

In Belize we did cave tubing with cave-tubingdotnet and had a great experience. It was cheaper than through the cruiseline and a much more personalized experience. My wife and I were linked together with our own guide in the water instead of the big crowd of 10 people hooked together.

In Roatan we did the Tabyana Beach excursion through Carnival. Beautiful beach and great snorkeling just a few yards out into the water.

Tabyana beach is West Bay beach.

http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/518012 for $40 per person or

this ;)

http://boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm#HMB

And have a guide and private car for the day to do what you want when you want

Belize we did the Carnival excursion Rendezvous Cay snorkel and beach. They pick you up at the ship and you head opposite way of the tenders. They take

you to a teeny island for snorkeling. It was awesome.

Roatan we did the Carnival zipline and beach break. You go to the top of a mountain and I think there were 13 ziplines clear down to the beach. Then they drive you over to Tabayna and you can stay as long as you want and then take a carnival bus back when you are ready. Look for monkeys while you are going down!!

Both of these were the highlight of our trip.

Another vote for Victor Bodden. The best excursion we've done was his tour and going to his petting zoo. My girls LOVED getting to hold monkeys.

Amanda from kentucky

wife to Danny

mom to K (9 1/2 y/o) & C (7 1/2 y/o)

First sailing on Carnival Imagination May 2010

Carnival Liberty May 2012 for hubbys graduation

Carnival Dream. March 9th, 2013. First balcony!

Carnival Sunshine up next! March 30,2014

Sounds like all you really want to do is shop around and get something to eat.

Easy in Roatan because your ship will dock at Mahogany Bay and there's shopping, restaurant, and beach right there within the cruise terminal area.

In Belize you'll need to tender. There are a few places to shop within the gated tender area and a couple of places to get something to eat. We enjoy going to The Wet Lizard.

You should be able to enjoy doing the things YOU like to do in both of these ports. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Another vote for Victor Bodden. The best excursion we've done was his tour and going to his petting zoo. My girls LOVED getting to hold monkeys.

Amanda from kentucky

wife to Danny

mom to K (9 1/2 y/o) & C (7 1/2 y/o)

First sailing on Carnival Imagination May 2010

Carnival Liberty May 2012 for hubbys graduation

Carnival Dream. March 9th, 2013. First balcony!

Carnival Sunshine up next! March 30,2014

It was five years ago, but I totally agree! The petting zoo was wonderful! We also did the iguana farm and a small shopping area. We were going to also snorkel, but had rain in the afternoon. There were 8 of us. I don't remember the cost.

Belize is a place best seen with a tour. We've been cave tubing there and also done Carnival's Xunantunich ruins tour which was fantastic.

If you are really set on staying at the tourist village, don't expect it to be as fancy or commercialized as what you'll find in Cozumel or Roatan. It's got lots more local merchants and not so many chains. You won't find a Margaritaville or a Hard Rock here (and that's why I love it!)

If you are a chocolate lover, walk down the pier at the village past the Wet Lizard to Moho Chocolates. They will do a short, 5 minute tour for $2pp or you can just browse the shop. They make organic, fair-trade, Belize grown chocolate and it's some of the best I've ever had. Lots of neat stuff in the store - chocolate bars, baked goods, milkshakes and even a little bar out front if you want a chocolate drink or are one of the rare people like me that likes beer paired with chocolate. The only beer in Belize is Belikan and I really enjoy it so have to have at least one when in Belize. :)

Piggy backing on the OP--

What would you do in these ports with a 7, 4 (developmental age, really he will be 5), and newly 3 year old? We are adventurous, but require any vehicles to have seatbelts (for carseats). My son is a feeding tube kid, so any water has to be reasonably clean (salt water is fine) for his tube to not get infected.

Edited by luvsviola

LOVE Belize! There really is a LOT to do! I have done two excursions...both EXCELLENT....The Old Belize River and Belize tour- SO much better than I ever expected! Lamanai Ruins and River Safari- Really excellent.... I would do either excursion again no problem!

PA200198.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

Bird's next of montezuma oropendola!