Food poisoning treated as Norovirus

ModestineTwo

On day 8 of an Azamara cruise, I came down with food poisoning after a "chef's menu". The medical service treated it as Norovirus and prevented me from going ashore at the very first port of call. They slapped me into quarantine under regulations that are designed to weed out passengers who come aboard with something contagious rather than those who get sick in the middle of a cruise due to something they ate on board!

Any similar cases out there?

:mad:

On day 8 of an Azamara cruise, I came down with food poisoning after a "chef's menu". The medical service treated it as Norovirus and prevented me from going ashore at the very first port of call. They slapped me into quarantine under regulations that are designed to weed out passengers who come aboard with something contagious rather than those who get sick in the middle of a cruise due to something they ate on board!

Sorry to hear you were ill.

How did you know it was food poisoning - were others who ate that menu affected?

I think you will find given how rampant viruses can be the cruise line will err on the side of caution when someone presents with symptoms that could be noro. Unfortunate for you, but it's sound practice

i didn't read the article but i know princess and celebrity would quarantine right away if you report symptoms that could be noro to be safe. it's difficult to tell if it was food poisoning-i would think if others at the table also got sick within the same time period after the meal it would be more obvious

i didn't read the article but i know princess and celebrity would quarantine right away if you report symptoms that could be noro to be safe. it's difficult to tell if it was food poisoning-i would think if others at the table also got sick within the same time period after the meal it would be more obvious

Attempting to self-diagnose food poisoning vs. norovirus is folly. As you wrote, if others who had the same meal became ill it would be a good indicator.

One of our traveling companions on our last cruise came down with "something" three days into our cruise. Could have been Noro...could have been something she ate in our first port. But she was quarantined for 48 hours until she was symptom free. She wasn't happy to miss out on some of the activities but understood the need to protect other passengers and crew. She received excellent care from the medical staff (who called several times after her first visit to them to see how she was feeling and if she needed anything.) Room service brought her food (when she was able to eat) and, thank goodness, no one else fell ill.

I must say that the worst Noro outbreak (and it absolutely was an outbreak...so much so that we were in the newspapers and the port authorities in Shanghai didn't want to let any of us on shore) was on a Princess cruise. I think the staff didn't react quickly enough to the first reports of illness and the virus spread like crazy. (we, fortunately, did not get sick although I did contract a respiratory virus at the end of the cruise)

I would always want the ship's staff to over react rather than put others at risk.

I was on a cruise that friends got sick and they question if it was the beach party we were at. I was fine. Later I heard three others were sick not at that event. Only one had both problems and only one wife was force to stay in cabin. Others were allowed to wander the ship. I felt great the whole time.

I have one son that is a PHD medical researcher and the other that is an MD.

The MD would do the diagnosis and the PHD would do the reading of test results only if it was for a research project for a specific finding.

Food poisoning is a bacteria that would show if a culture was done on you know what. Noro is a virus not visible in excrement.

The truth is food poisoning bacteria can be transferred if the person handles food serving instruments or other things that saliva comes in contact with.

That is why in China they tell you not cooked do not eat never use your hands to touch the food.

Hope this helps with info.

The truth is food poisoning bacteria can be transferred if the person handles food serving instruments or other things that saliva comes in contact with.

Hope this helps with info.

Thanks for the comment re: food poisoning.

Makes sense, but with all of the emphasis on Noro I had not really considered the possibility of transmission.

I don't think a single person read this carefully other than the MD parent. If you get food poisoning at Dennys that's bad and you don't go back. If you get misdiagnosed by your doctor you look for a new doctor. Maybe you think the last part was ok but this is suppose to a luxury line and you shouldn't have lower expectations than Dennys!

Edited by PrincessVIP

If indeed you had food poisoning from eating on Azamara, did Azamara offer you any compensation? Or the dreaded norovirus, did they offer you anything? Afterall, you did miss a few days of the cruise due to a ship bourne illness. Did Azamara do any bloodwork? Or check bodily fluids? Or did you just suffer?

I don't think a single person read this carefully other than the MD parent. If you get food poisoning at Dennys that's bad and you don't go back. If you get misdiagnosed by your doctor you look for a new doctor. Maybe you think the last part was ok but this is suppose to a luxury line and you shouldn't have lower expectations than Dennys!

This carping is becoming ridiculous. As someone posted above, a layperson has no ability to determine whether it's food poisoning or norovirus, so let's stop assuming this self-serving self-diagnosis is correct. The odds of it being noro are overwhelming, and, expecting compensation when you become ill while traveling is simply unrealistic.

Now just go back to Princess, please.

This carping is becoming ridiculous. As someone posted above, a layperson has no ability to determine whether it's food poisoning or norovirus, so let's stop assuming this self-serving self-diagnosis is correct. The odds of it being noro are overwhelming, and, expecting compensation when you become ill while traveling is simply unrealistic.

Now just go back to Princess, please.

Fine. The OP might want to join me.

Given the links posted by Hudand Pug above, that would appear to be risky business.:eek:

I thought you wanted this conversation to end or do you just have to have the last word? I respond to what the OP said not what everyone wish they had said. Now you are twisting my words around too. Where did I say I was afraid of Noro??? Show me the links where Princess has problems with food poisoning and maybe I will listen!

Today a Princess cruise has over 100 guests with Noro. How do they know, a CDC person has come on board to inspect and test. The crew also has been affected. But they are off the coast of California so it is at their disposal to have them on board.

Today a Princess cruise has over 100 guests with Noro. How do they know, a CDC person has come on board to inspect and test. The crew also has been affected. But they are off the coast of California so it is at their disposal to have them on board.

That's it I'm done here!

Someone posts about food poisoning on Azamara and all you people want to talk about is Noro on Princess??? Did you ever think maybe Princess passengers are active and social not hiding in our cabins?

There is a lot of loyalists here who can't handle a little constructive criticism even from your own. I come here and the first 5 posts are not positive and you don't see that on the other boards. I just looked and most of the threads on Princess are positive. All of the comments on Crystal are positive. Even Bahamas Celebration Cruise line!

Like my daughter used to say: Whatever!

I was on this cruise. I know this lady was quarantineed as a precaution for which I was extremely happy. I have had the norovirus on a previous Azamara Journey (many years ago) and it was diagnoised many days into the cruise. So while I feel sorry that you contracted something, for the sake of 601 passengers plus additional crew, I am glad that we all were not sick.