summer weather in Alaska

patzee37

Be prepared for anything is good advice. We have had two Alaska cruises on two different itineraries. We experienced pouring rain, bone chilling cold, and pleasant, sunny, hot weather on both of them.

Fortunately, we packed the right clothing and umbrellas so we were prepared. We had a great time on both cruises and plan to go back again.

Start checking weather reports about 10 days before departure - it's not possible to predict any further in advance. The classic packing advice for Alaska, or anywhere else in many seasons, is to pack so that you can dress in layers. You'll need a lightweight waterproof windbreaker that you can wear over other layers for warmth as needed. Don't forget some sort of head covering for rain, as umbrellas can be pretty useless if it's windy. Bring a pair of thin gloves if you plan on many outdoor activities. On the other hand, you might have nothing but sun and balmy temperatures, but probably not shorts weather. Also, don't forget sunscreen and mosquito repellant unless you plan on spending all your time indoors.

On the other hand, you might have nothing but sun and balmy temperatures, but probably not shorts weather. Also, don't forget sunscreen and mosquito repellant unless you plan on spending all your time indoors.

:D Guess that all depends on where you are from. We went in early June, and left Wisconsin with mid-50 degree weather and we spent all of our trip in mid-50 degree weather. My teen age boys went swimming in the outdoor pool, and they might have even worn shorts! I know if it had been in the upper 60's I would have broken out the shorts. 50-degrees-florida-50-degrees-in-wisconsin.jpg

go to the review section in the Ports of Call >Alaska forum and read people's reviews. It will depend on your tolerance as well as the weather. I'm happy as a peach orchard pig in 50-60 degree weather, but some people are freezing

If you go to the Cruise Discussion Topic forum and go to the fashion board there are lots of ideas on what to pack.

Also, check into the forum for your cruiseline and you'll find out lots of good info.

Read read read!!! so much good information on here.

I grew up in Alaska, and June & July are usually the best months weather wise. It's hit or miss - one year it could be in the 80's all of June and the next, it might rain everyday with highs in the 60's. Either way, you'll have a fantastic time. Alaska is BEAUTIFUL and you'll get to see so much wildlife and probably never want to leave! :) Have fun!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises.

Weather is unpredictable. We have cruised the same time on year a few times and each time the weather was different.

Just pack to include dressing in layers. Take a hat, gloves, zippered lined water proof jacket, water proof shoes, small portable umbrellas.